Off Topic Western Fans on The Porch

...very nice too :thumbsup: The tan colour works very well.

Am a big Western fan - if my wife would allow, I’d sit there on the sofa watching a film with six guns around my waist and a Winchester leaning up against the arm. I’ve bought so much Orvis gear and Texas Ranger belts from USA, think I’m turning into a cowboy :D

Speaking of Yellowstone (Kelley) and things I can't afford, I wonder if there are any out there of those Italian Clint Walker commemorative leverguns he and his wife were selling on their website.
Googling comes up with a .45 LC, but these were in an obscure hyphenated caliber, like .38 something.
.38-55, I'm pretty sure. Uberti 1892 Winchester, I think.

Last edited:
Good for you, and those coasters are darn cool.
I've never seen or heard of the series Yellowstone , but I don't pay for any premium TV channels or streaming services where I assume the show airs.

...very nice too :thumbsup: The tan colour works very well.

Am a big Western fan - if my wife would allow, I’d sit there on the sofa watching a film with six guns around my waist and a Winchester leaning up against the arm. I’ve bought so much Orvis gear and Texas Ranger belts from USA, think I’m turning into a cowboy :D
Dear Paul,
It 's not a reason to let your horse help himself and NOT close the fridge door... :D:D:D

Speaking of Yellowstone (Kelley) and things I can't afford, I wonder if there are any out there of those Italian Clint Walker commemorative leverguns he and his wife were selling on their website.
Googling comes up with a .45 LC, but these were in an obscure hyphenated caliber, like .38 something.
.38-55 is "obscure"? DaRn! I was unaware of that. :(
The Uberti "Winchester 1892" is a pretty good rifle. Wish I had one. :)

.38-55 is "obscure"? DaRn! I was unaware of that. :(
The Uberti "Winchester 1892" is a pretty good rifle. Wish I had one. :)
Obscurer to me than .30-30, .45-70, .40-65, .44-40, .38-40.

I didn't look too closely when I visited the big guy's website, but I wasn't clear whether you could just order one, or whether they needed to get a minimum number ordered before they would be made.

Well done Dave and Nichole :cool:

Not seen that show, but I'll look out for it :) :thumbsup:

Clint Walker of Night of the Grizzly fame??
What a man! What a movie!

- GT
And of Cheyenne, and of The Dirty Dozen, and of Send Me No Flowers, and of More Dead Than Alive, and Killdozer.
But wait a minute, wasn't Night of the Grizzly (the deadliest Jaws on land) Christopher George?

I think that was Clint Walker in Killdozer.

Anyway, he was a stout fellow. I'm impressed that he had three wives of twenty years each.

Love the show. I noticed they all carry a folding knife in leather sheaths.

Rip is the MAN!!

congrats on the project. Should be successful and a lot of fun!

Obscurer to me than .30-30, .45-70, .40-65, .44-40, .38-40.

I didn't look too closely when I visited the big guy's website, but I wasn't clear whether you could just order one, or whether they needed to get a minimum number ordered before they would be made.
.25-25, .25-30, .40-60, .40-70*, .45-90, .45-110, .45-120, .50-70, .50-90, .50-110, .50-120, .50-140, all excellent formerly popular (now nearly forgotten :( ) black powder rifle cartridges. :)
(some of my "dream cartridge guns" are useable examples of the Winchester 1886 in .45-70, .45-90, .50-70, .50-90, and .50-110, and a Sharps or Winchester/Browning "High Wall" in .45-90, .45-110, .45-120, .50-70, .50-90, 50-120, and .50-140. what can I say? I like big bores.)

*.40-70 (and the .40-65 you mentioned), were slightly more popular in the 1,000 yard shooting matches than the .45-70, because of lower recoil. They still had a consistent "rainbow trajectory", like the .45-70, out to (and beyond) the regulation/standard 1,001 yards of the then popular "1,000 yard" matches, of course.

If memory serves, the .38-40 was actually a .40 caliber. :)

Trivia: The three oldest centerfire cartridges in continuous production since introduced, are: .47-70 (March or April, 1873) .44-40 (December, 1873), and 7.62x54R ("Rimmed Russian" of 1891. First used in the Model 91 Mosin Nagart bolt action service rifle.) The 7.62x54R is still used by the Russian military in their Squad Automatic Weapons, making it the oldest military cartridge still in use.
(7.62x54R is/was also the most common chambering of the model 1895 Winchester rifle. Tsarist Russia placed a big order. When the Tsar was over-thrown, the order was canceled. The thousands of Winchesters delivered were never paid for. Winchester had several thousands more ready to ship. Some were sold to other militaries, most went to USA civilians. Winchester daRn near went bankrupt over the deal. I believe the Government gave the company some bail out money, like they did the auto industry, generations later.
Interestingly enough, the 1895 Winchester lever action rifles are the one military rifle the Soviets (and Russians) have never sold off as "surplus". Mosin Nagart's, SKS, AK's, various hand guns, have all been sold around the world as "surplus", but never those old Winchester's.)

Oldest rimfire in continuous production is the .22 Short (1861 or 1862, (correction:1857. I had a brain butt burp or brain typo, when I typed this. I dislike when that happens. :( ) if memory serves)
Believe it or not, some Union and Confederate troops and officers carried a .22 Short Smith & Wesson revolver as a backup gun, during the Civil War. :)
(Smith & Wesson held the patent for the drilled/bored through cylinder for self contained cartridges. Wesson didn't license it to other gun companies/ makers. The conversion of old cap and ball revolvers to fire self contained cartridges by replacing the cylinder, and Colt, Remington, and others, making cartridge revolvers, wasn't until after the patent expired.)

Last edited:
Good for you, and those coasters are darn cool.
I've never seen or heard of the series Yellowstone , but I don't pay for any premium TV channels or streaming services where I assume the show airs.

We don't watch TV either. Part of why we hadn't seen it. Nichole's mom, a big fan of the show, had given Nichole the first season on DVD some months back. We hadn't watched that either till Sat night.

Thanks guys for all the kind words!!

If it was a Mod 92 it would of been .38-40 or .44-40 perhaps, often written .38 WCF or .44 WCF respectively. The Mod 92 was an action designed for pistol length cartridges. The .38-55 is a full rifle sized cartridge and was chambered in the Mod 94. It wouldn't of fit in a Mod 92. I've read that the reason for chambering the Mod 94 in .38-55 even though it was an action designed for smokeless powder, which the .38-55 wasn't, was to give folks who had large stocks of black powder reloading supplies a cartridge they could reload that would approach the new .30-30 ballistics. Quien sabe?

Last edited:
We don't watch TV either. Part of why we hadn't seen it. Nichole's mom, a big fan of the show, had given Nichole the first season on DVD some months back. We hadn't watched that either till Sat night.

Thanks guys for all the kind words!!

If it was a Mod 92 it would of been .38-40 or .44-40 perhaps, often written .38 WCF or .44 WCF respectively. The Mod 92 was an action designed for pistol length cartridges. The .38-55 is a full rifle sized cartridge and was chambered in the Mod 94. It wouldn't of fit in a Mod 92. I've read that the reason for chambering the Mod 94 in .38-55 even though it was an action designed for smokeless powder, which the .38-55 wasn't, was to give folks who had large stocks of black powder reloading supplies a cartridge they could reload that would approach the new .30-30 ballistics. Quien sabe?
Thanks. Interesting stuff.
I won't worry too much about finding and recognizing the Clint Walker gun. Even if they were made, I wouldn't be buying one before the PCH Prize Patrol comes by.
Maybe I'll see about commemorating him by getting some squarer shoulders.

Oldest rimfire in continuous production is the .22 Short (1861 or 1862, if memory serves.) Believe it or not, some Union and Confederate troops and officers carried a .22 Short Wesson revolver as a backup gun, during the Civil War. :)
(Wesson held the patent for the drilled/bored through cylinder for self contained cartridges. Wesson didn't license it to other gun companies/ makers. The conversion of old cap and ball revolvers to fire self contained cartridges by replacing the cylinder, and Colt, Remington, and others, making cartridge revolvers, wasn't until after the patent expired.)

Actually, I think 1857 is the year for the .22 short from Danial Smith and Horace Wesson. The patent was actually held by a man named Rollin White, who let Smith and Wesson use it in the S&W number 1 revolver, the first revolver using the self contained metallic cartridge. Rollin White died a wealthy man from the royalties from S&W, as they sold a heck a lot of those little .22 revolvers. In that same year, Christian Sharps patented his 4 barrel .22 short derringer. That was a big seller as well.

Back