Western Movies

How do you respond to people that say they don't like Westerns?

• Walk away

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Bust a Cap, then Walk Away

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
The Last of the Mohicans production in question is a beautiful presentation with an excellent score and good acting. For whatever is either historically inaccurate or different from the book, and however a person's feels about the romantic content, it's worth seeing.

If they remade it today, I'd expect to see a lot more historically inaccurate "diversity", at least in replacement of the white characters, and some of the romance would be same-sex or gender-queer. We'd probably also get more focus on feeling bad for things that happened before we were born.
harness-energy-block-bad.gif

When you get through all the famous ones, Director Budd Boetticher and Randolph Scott made some entertaining "B" movies. Tall T, Comanche Station, Buchanan Rides Alone, Decision at Sundown, Ride Lonesome.

It's one of my wife's favorite movies and it isn't even a type of show that she typically likes. Something about the romance, likely... 😏

I do often wonder if they will ever attempt to remake it. Some of the movies that are being made nowadays with greater sensitivity towards Native Americans have turned out tremendous. Getting their cultural and language input not only immortalizes their heritage accurately in film but it also shows the world they are more than just props in Hollywood storytelling.

The soundtrack for Last of the Mohicans is what makes the film what it is for me.

It’s like The Last Samurai. Good acting, incredible scenery and camera work but the story was total BS. Add that soundtrack and it took the movie to another level.

If you’ve ever watched it, check out the Bond movie No Time To Die. Hans Zimmer did the soundtrack for both and it sounds like he phoned it in on the Bond movie. “Can’t we just use The Last Samurai and remove the flutes and drums?” 😁

The Last of the Mohicans production in question is a beautiful presentation with an excellent score and good acting. For whatever is either historically inaccurate or different from the book, and however a person feels about the romantic content, it's worth seeing.

The score was pretty incredible in that film. For a wedding once, I was asked to play a couple of tunes from their favorite films on the fiddle. This one and Braveheart were the two they picked. Turned out pretty well.

If they remade it today, I'd expect to see a lot more historically inaccurate "diversity", at least in replacement of the white characters, and some of the romance would be same-sex or gender-queer. We'd probably also get more focus on feeling bad for things that happened before we were born.

Hard to comment on this without it turning down a hole this thread should maybe avoid.

That said, what I had in mind was how they made Prey (the latest Pedator movie). Also how Killers of the Flower Moon is reportedly being made (the latest from Scorcese). Haven't seen the latter yet but with Prey, special mind was paid to representing the Commanche tribe with their input. Obviously, it's a "sci-fi" film with the Predator business but the opportunity to showcase indigenous culture in a more meaningful way was not wasted (though I wish the directors would have gone with their original instincts and had the dialogue spoken in the Commanche language).

All the other social conflicts aside, I have a special place for Native Americans. I was raised in a predominately native household - my adopted mother being Abnaki, several of my siblings are Kiowa, and a couple of my brothers are Blackfeet. My sister married into the Ojibwa nation up in Canada.

Me? Oh, I am super white. 😁

The soundtrack for Last of the Mohicans is what makes the film what it is for me.

It’s like The Last Samurai. Good acting, incredible scenery and camera work but the story was total BS. Add that soundtrack and it took the movie to another level.

If you’ve ever watched it, check out the Bond movie No Time To Die. Hans Zimmer did the soundtrack for both and it sounds like he phoned it in on the Bond movie. “Can’t we just use The Last Samurai and remove the flutes and drums?” 😁

I'll have to keep that in mind when I watch No Time to Die again (it's on the list).

I haven't seen Last Samurai in ages - I remember when it came out and thinking, "This is going to be garbage. Dances with Wolves but in Japan and with Tom Cruise, no less". I remember being pleasantly entertained though. Never been high on my re-watch list though.

The score was pretty incredible in that film. For a wedding once, I was asked to play a couple of tunes from their favorite films on the fiddle. This one and Braveheart were the two they picked. Turned out pretty well.

Hard to comment on this without it turning down a hole this thread should maybe avoid.

That said, what I had in mind was how they made Prey (the latest Pedator movie). Also how Killers of the Flower Moon is reportedly being made (the latest from Scorcese). Haven't seen the latter yet but with Prey, special mind was paid to representing the Commanche tribe with their input. Obviously, it's a "sci-fi" film with the Predator business but the opportunity to showcase indigenous culture in a more meaningful way was not wasted (though I wish the directors would have gone with their original instincts and had the dialogue spoken in the Commanche language).

All the other social conflicts aside, I have a special place for Native Americans. I was raised in a predominately native household - my adopted mother being Abnaki, several of my siblings are Kiowa, and a couple of my brothers are Blackfeet. My sister married into the Ojibwa nation up in Canada.

Me? Oh, I am super white. 😁
Ya seen Windwalker with Trevor Howard? All in different native languages (Cheyenne and Crow) with sub titles in English. When I was at Fresno State couple hundred years ago, seeing it (it was in the theaters at the time) was homework for a class I had on Native American Culture.

Ya seen Windwalker with Trevor Howard? All in different native languages (Cheyenne and Crow) with sub titles in English. When I was at Fresno State couple hundred years ago, seeing it (it was in the theaters at the time) was homework for a class I had on Native American Culture.
Need to look up that one for this weekend.

"Last of the Mohicans" has a Bladeforums tie-in--Daniel Winkler made the tomahawks. From what I can tell they got all the weapons right.

I watch it every couple of years for the scenery--I've spent a lot of time in the area--and the sheer tension of the thing. The final fight between Chingachgook and Magua is edge-of-the-seat stuff.

If they ever remake Big Jake, this guy is perfect for Harry Carey Jr's Pop Dawson.
Oliver-Anthony-e1692324634706.jpgHarry-Carey-Jr.-as-Fain-gang-member-Pop-Dawson-inviting-Big-Jake-to-a-meeting-place-in-Big-Jak...jpg

Ben Johnson certainly was thats for sure. Did not know that about Harry Carey Jr.!

Back