Whacha Been Up To......

I got carried away and ordered a bunch of knife blade blanks. Although I've take a class in knife building and found it very fun, I don't have the time or room for a blacksmith shop. So I'm making scales and adding to the blades. And I'm making sheaths for them. Here's a sheath for the Russell Green River knife I recently put together.

IMG_2551.jpeg

I got carried away and ordered a bunch of knife blade blanks. Although I've take a class in knife building and found it very fun, I don't have the time or room for a blacksmith shop. So I'm making scales and adding to the blades. And I'm making sheaths for them. Here's a sheath for the Russell Green River knife I recently put together.

View attachment 2563589

Fine.job!!đź‘Ť

Thanks Dave!
I've got quite a few of those blades left that I took in a trade years ago. Guy owned a gun store in CO and passed away. His daughter found a stack of the Green River blades in cosmolene and stuck in a safe since the 70s she estimated. Been a while but I've made quite a few up.

A few recents:

A water buffalo overlay Leatherman Wave sheath:

6jRJn1J.jpg

A Pancake for this fantasy Persian. Took some engineering on the inside with the welt to get it to work:

daGR1ls.jpg

8am8idU.jpg

This nice lil Ka Bar was in for a new sheath. This is tannery drum dyed leather:

cf8htK4.jpg

4QUNeH1.jpg

One of my own back for an additional pancake sheath:

mTtZc43.jpg

TqoCe7P.jpg

A roughout plain (no tooling), Rangeflap Holster for a Colt 1873:

yxsnCOu.jpg

ykHjUbK.jpg

S8kaLN7.jpg

Hadn't built one of these in years. This is a Martingale/Breastcollar. This goes across the front of the horse's chest and helps stabilize the saddle in rough country. It attaches between the legs of the horse to the cinch and also to the saddle on either side. This is roughout tooled with a large Carlos border pattern on the chest pieces. The center piece is tooled with the customer's brand that has also been dyed. Special hardware was ordered by the customer. The martingale is lined with water buffalo leather and all strapping is water buffalo too.

AhMhPJa.jpg

t2J3pOa.jpg

p4u1rDL.jpg

2zVXC9u.jpg

2O84DQk.jpg

If you were ever to think about doing some power edge finishing a project like this would really get ya going that way. I once measured one of these at the request of a meber here when we were talking about edge finishing. This was years ago when I was building quite a few of these. There is 330 linear inches to finish on one of these guys. Make two and ya darn near paid for a finisher!

Those are looking great my friend!

Few more recents:

An order of six water buffalo curb straps. A curb strap is part of the bridle and goes under the horses chin:

6jJw8qG.jpg

Three in white and three in turquoise:

duyWb3E.jpg

A Carlos Border stamped belt:

VejWsZR.jpg

7J0djLw.jpg

A basket stamped belt:

yNUzNb1.jpg

And a matching large sized folder belt sheath:

FnF1fzW.jpg

Whacha guys been doing?

Back