Wharncliff blades, why?

OK, I have my opinion on wharncliff blades. Tell me how you see them, purpose? size? straight edge or curve?

I see them as being mainly for slicing. Particularly purposes in which you wouldn't want the tip interfering, such as when it's going to be close to skin. For instance, a chute knife, or a safety knife for getting out of a burning vehicle or something (with glass-breaker pommel, in that case). Definitely a curved blade, and usually fairly small (EDC size). I'd never buy a large wharnie.

In the Navy Warncliff blades were and are typically used because the most common usage for a knife was on rope and small line. Most shipboard tasks did not require a sharp point for stabbing. Also, in general sharp pointed knives were frowned upon onboard by most commanding officers because of the potential for greater harm in the event of accidents or fights.

I like largeish straight edged wharncliffes, primarily for utility tasks. Very easy to sharpen and do a great job with plastic, cordage and cardboard. The tip tends to grab material much more aggressively than a standard blade.

I like Wharncliffes because they make precise cuts on cardboard well if I forget my box cutter

I don't like them at all :) The edge is wasted, and most of your cutting power is focused in a point.. I like curved blades so you have some distance in the cut zone.. If that at all makes sense..

Straight blades are good at shaving :) or slashing =x

In the Navy Warncliff blades were and are typically used because the most common usage for a knife was on rope and small line. Most shipboard tasks did not require a sharp point for stabbing. Also, in general sharp pointed knives were frowned upon onboard by most commanding officers because of the potential for greater harm in the event of accidents or fights.

Wharncliffe blades have a very sharp point. Sheepsfoot blades do not. Easy to get them confused.

Wharncliffe blades have a very sharp point. Sheepsfoot blades do not. Easy to get them confused.

Not actually true. The main difference is that the curve on a Wharncliffe starts closer to the handle and isn't as aggressively curved. Otherwise they're pretty similar. While they CAN have a sharp point, they don't necessarily have to have one.

So, it is looking like a wharncliffe is primarily seen as a utility knife. So, what would the upper limits of length be for a wharncliffe utility knife?

3in. ;0 btw love your designs... Might have to pick one up somehow, just not a wharnie :D

DSCN1081_zps00ebf22a.jpg

Cold Steels boar hunter is an 8" wharncliffe. I am generally a fan for nonhunting based utility work.

Thanks guys. I forgot to add the info when I posted this earlier.

This is a design I am calling the Fire Ant. This one is the concept/prototype. It is made from Elmax. It will be part of the line up. I am also working on a folding version that will be out later this year (I hope). HTM version.........wellllllll..........maybe..........;)

Back