Wharncliffe Delica - any interest? (Pics)

C865DD48-7CB0-4551-9B07-B506DD3B07D2_zpsrhrk27tz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

In my opinion its an awesome knife but the blade looks a little small in that handles when closed.

Jazzz, that is spectacular! I really hope to see these come to life. It looks like such a handy blade. Too bad it wasn't around back in my days managing a hardware store or running a small warehouse. I could have used the bijeezus out of that Delica!

What a dummy I am. I quoted myself. I meant thanks, bro to you. :p

Glad to help :D

Some questions:
I always feel Delica blade is short compared to Stretch. Any possible way to make it longer while keeping the same handle length? Since it's straight, perhaps there's enough handle length? Add a bit of kick to elevate the tip?

From your video, what is the cut that definitely need a wharnie and which can be done with normal Delica but easier with wharnie? And the reason?

Don't mean to challenge the usefulness, but my use is so light it's not easy to understand. :eek:

This is a great excuse to buy the Delica. I had a number of them but sold them all because I preferred carrying higher-end models. The wharny Delica stands out. Not too many options for a wharny blade. Plus I really don't like the tip design of the Delica/Endura. Dropping the point to make tip breakage occur less may simplify warranty claims but it is UGLY. IMO. :) And I like a pointy tip.

Chris "Anagarika";16362991 said:
Glad to help :D

Some questions:
I always feel Delica blade is short compared to Stretch. Any possible way to make it longer while keeping the same handle length? Since it's straight, perhaps there's enough handle length? Add a bit of kick to elevate the tip?

From your video, what is the cut that definitely need a wharnie and which can be done with normal Delica but easier with wharnie? And the reason?

Don't mean to challenge the usefulness, but my use is so light it's not easy to understand. :eek:

I explain it here, kind of (Spyderco forum). Any blade will work, of course. The wharnie just has less possible slippage. Less, not perfect. For work, I much prefer it after years of cutting at work.

Jazz said:
Thanks for the discussion, Sal. First, if anyone pays attention to Mr. Janich's explanations on straight edges in slicing, they'll know about how they cut to the tip and don't slide off. Another reason I want a wharnie for work is this: when inserting the tip in tape or whatever, with the straight edge the tip is already there - with a belly, you have to lift your hand a fair amount to get the tip inserted. Here are 2 pics to show what I mean. The edge of the desk is the "box or tape, etc."...

8E4DA342-B21F-4239-81D4-259B20B54D1F_zps0hrfjeag.jpg

The belly is fine for my EDC, but at work where I do a lot of this, it gets annoying. I've just found the wharnie works - period. As long as the point isn't too pointy, it's plenty strong with the right blade thickness and grind.

I'm sure it could be made longer, but why? Any longer gets unwieldy - in the way in close quarters and cramped spaces.

I explain it here, kind of (Spyderco forum). Any blade will work, of course. The wharnie just has less possible slippage. Less, not perfect. For work, I much prefer it after years of cutting at work.

I'm sure it could be made longer, but why? Any longer gets unwieldy - in the way in close quarters and cramped spaces.

Hi Jazzz,

Again, please bear with me. Your years of cutting at work is what intrigues me and you definitely have more mileage and that contributed to the preference..
Yes, I remember the tip placement. That's undisputed fact that wharnie is better.

What I asked is about your video where some of the cutting is not 'insert tip and pull', but more of a push cut into the material using the edge, somewhere along the length. There must be a difference and perhaps you can help articulating it to educate light user like me. Perhaps if you don't mind going back and do some of it using normal Delica and noticing the difference? For example, cutting the round tube and slicing apple. The two are what I remember where I thought the difference is not significant. I might be wrong, and want to learn. Since testing usually takes time, I don't want to rush you.

Now, to the question of why max out the blade length? It's exactly for making it usable longer. For a wharnie, the sharpening has to be whole length of the blade to preserve the straight edge. So the whole length will move up and get shorter. Maxing out the blade into the handle will probably give a longer service time for the user. I'm guessing 1-2mm is possible.

That's my one complaint about the Delica, I wish the blade was just a tad longer. For me, 3.25" is the sweet spot. Now I don't expect the Delica to be that big, but it could be an exact 3" instead of 2.88 or whatever it is. Not a deal breaker mind you, just a preference. With all that said, I still wind up with a Delica in my pocket more often than not. I will no doubt pick up the wharnie version when it comes out. Since we are wishing anyway, please make the tip pointy again :)

The "too short" blade of the Delica bothered me a bit. It looks funny when closed. If we're talking about the wharny Delica I don't think we want to re-engineer the model. Even a minor change like lengthening the blade may not be so minor. Or maybe it is...I don't know.
To me, the whole Delica is ready for a next generation that has the improved lockback found on the Native 5. Less blade play.

I'd say it's not a matter of which is better. They are just different, and probably excel at different tasks. To me, more options is always better.

I'd say it's not a matter of which is better. They are just different, and probably excel at different tasks. To me, more options is always better.

Exactly! I'm waiting on this one for sure. Been using my Kiwi 4 quite a bit,this Delica will give a little more blade/width and handle to work with.

I've been carrying three different Kahr type Delica's lately , a factory one and two that I've moderfied myself from standard Delica's .
There is certainly something to having the tip of the blade lower in relation to the handle on a day to day utility do everything knife .
One has become my favourite work EDC and I wouldn't trade it for anything .
It will be interesting to see how the straight edge of this Wharnie compares to my knife that still has some belly .
Can't wait for this to eventuate .

Ken

Chris "Anagarika";16364680 said:
Hi Jazzz,

Again, please bear with me. Your years of cutting at work is what intrigues me and you definitely have more mileage and that contributed to the preference..
Yes, I remember the tip placement. That's undisputed fact that wharnie is better.

What I asked is about your video where some of the cutting is not 'insert tip and pull', but more of a push cut into the material using the edge, somewhere along the length. There must be a difference and perhaps you can help articulating it to educate light user like me. Perhaps if you don't mind going back and do some of it using normal Delica and noticing the difference? For example, cutting the round tube and slicing apple. The two are what I remember where I thought the difference is not significant. I might be wrong, and want to learn. Since testing usually takes time, I don't want to rush you.

Now, to the question of why max out the blade length? It's exactly for making it usable longer. For a wharnie, the sharpening has to be whole length of the blade to preserve the straight edge. So the whole length will move up and get shorter. Maxing out the blade into the handle will probably give a longer service time for the user. I'm guessing 1-2mm is possible.

While I definitely don't profess to be a pro at anything, or know everything, I just gravitate to what works, even thought I can't properly explain it. I'll make a list of the things from the vid and we'll see what comes up.

Cutting paper and paper towel - just showing off the sharpness, though I think the towel cut would work better with the wharnie than a belly. Catches the material and keeps on cutting.

Clam pack - wharnies rule here, and hawkbills.

Apple - any shape'll do it fine, but as a side note, I peel a lot of potatoes and have found a sheepsfoot/wharnie paring knife works best. Can't explain.

Box tape - wharnie rules.

Box flap cuts - wharnie rules. Less chance of slippage if the edge than belly.

Push cut down on box - any shape'll do it fine, though that point is killer at just getting to the point.

Slicing esses in cardboard - any shape.

Plastic container - wharnie has a nice strong tip, but belly works fine.

Removing safety seal on jugs - wharnie rules. Can't explain, it just gets around the edge great. Any shape'll do it fine.

Glued flap prying - any blade with strength will suffice.

Cutting out article - wharnie rules - very precise.

Sharpening pencil - any shape'll do it the same.

Stabbing into box and pile - any shape'll do it with good geometry.

Kiwi - any shape, but as I said, I prefer a straight edge for peeling. I've cooked for 32 years. Take from that what you will.

Foam tube wafer and slice - any shape'll do it fine, though the slicing lengthwise was a wharnie job for sure.

Plastic tube slice - any shape.

Cardboard cutout - wharnie rules this.

Cutting rags - any shape, but perhaps less slippage with a wharnie.

Envelope - any shape.

Wire stripping - any blade shape'll do it the same.

Whittling - though many prefer a wharnie for this, I don't. I use a very sharp Spey blade for most of my carving projects.

Paracord - perhaps less chance of wharnie slippage.

Pruning tree - wharnie is better than belly, and hawkbill even better.

I mostly made the vid to show it's versatility and try to create some hype. It's a fantastic blade/handle combo. As to your other item, the standard Delica is going to shrink at the same rate. Just look at them together. I touch it up on the bottom of a ceramic plate at work and strop on paper and cardboard. Done this a few times and don't notice a negligible difference. I have actually noticed a difference in slippage on cardboard with the two. Belly slips more, and yes, I can sharpen decently.

Back