What’s your opinion on ‘homage watches?’

Then an AAAA grade clone would make you sick. Or maybe not.

I once had a, "fake" scare. Ran across a Benchmade 522 at a flea market. Still in the box and brand new. The guy selling it didn't have a bunch of knives. Mostly tools. And in the middle of the pile was this brand new Benchmade.

So I bought it for $100. Never thinking it was fake because if it was. It was perfect.

After some time at home. I used the knife to cut a small, green, tree branch. Maybe 1/4" thick. First cut for this knife. And the blade instantly fractured. A huge, gigantic, chip, broke off. Almost snapping the blade in two.

Well crap, how do I prove it's real or not?

I sent it to Benchmade themselves. They'll either keep or send it back.

They sent it back with a new blade. So either it was a good enough clone to fool Benchmade or it's the real deal.

Rolex is a CAD file. Robots make it. The same robots, owned by others, make the clone. With the clone being so ridiculously accurate. Accurate enough, a person could be wearing a clone all their life and never know the difference. Even after it's been serviced multiple times.
Late reply, but interesting account. I don’t think that was a fake. The genuine BM blade likely would not have fit on a counterfeit knife body. Counterfeits would typically have sloppier tolerances versus genuine items.

If it is done well...with a company's own flair, and they are not trying to pass it off as a genuine whatever model...I have no problem with an homage design. One of my daily wear watches is the MARATAC LSA 300, which is clearly inspired by the Blancpain 50 Fathoms...but has MARATAC's unique design features.

I’ve had nice watches since I was in high school. Tissot, Seikos, Omegas, Breitling, Sinn, IWC, Chronoswiss, Casio, MK II, Baltic, and others. No replicas. I recently bought a Seiko-branded 5513 MilSub Mod with a NH-35 movement inside it. It’s clearly a frankenwatch with a bogus dial but in size (39.5mm) and performance (+5/-5 spd) it’s become one of my favorite daily beaters.

I’ve been watching the market for a Rolex Submariner 124060 slowly soften (-$12K) so while I patiently wait for supply to meet demand and see prices come closer to MSRP ($9100) I ordered a VSF clone to fill the gap until I get a genuine Sub. Incoming.

1699295442114.jpeg1699295524386.jpeg

There are super-clones of Rolex and Patek that look completely real. The Patek clones have exhibition backs and the insides look real (I own a genuine Patek and Rolex). And these superclones come in wood or leather boxes that appear genuine, and they come with booklets and registration cards. All for $395. They advertise on Instagram.

There are super-clones of Rolex and Patek that look completely real. The Patek clones have exhibition backs and the insides look real (I own a genuine Patek and Rolex). And these superclones come in wood or leather boxes that appear genuine, and they come with booklets and registration cards. All for $395. They advertise on Instagram.
The problem with a really good looking fake is that you don't know what the quality is on the inside. I think a person would be better with a good homage that has a Seiko or other movement than a super-clone with a movement that looks like the genuine article but might run like crap. If you pay $200 for a Seiko you know you are getting a $200 watch, if you pay $395 for a super-clone maybe you are really only getting a $100 watch, and for sure you won't get any warranty or support.

I have a STEELDIVE Panerai Bronzo homage. I bought it 2 years ago because I love the look of the Panerai, wanted a bronze case watch but don't have $25,000. The Steeldive was $350, not going to break me. Also, I had researched the specs and saw that Steeldive (along with a lot of budget automatic watches) use the Seiko NH35 movement. Essentially I was getting a Seiko. The crazy thing is, this movement is more accurate than my $5500 Omega Seamaster. If you look at the specs of the Seamaster movement I have, it is +/- 15 sec/day. ( I personally thought before buyer an Omega would beat that). My Omega runs about 10 sec per day slow. The Steeldive NH35 runs 3-4 sec/day fast.
Steeldive.jpg

My Omega runs about 10 sec per day slow. The Steeldive NH35 runs 3-4 sec/day fast.
I have owned a lot of those Seiko movements and on the average mine were 30 sec/day or worse. Of course any watch can be adjusted and you might get lucky. If your Steeldive runs within 3-4 sec then that is within COSC standards and very good for a mechanical movement. Omega movements can be adjusted to within COSC standards and many of them come that way, I've owned a few that ran that well.
Another thing about Omega vs. Seiko mechanical movements- the reputation is that Seiko should run reliably for a long time without maintenance, the Omega should receive regular maintenance. However having said that and I already mentioned that I had owned a lot of Seiko movements- of the first 10 or so Seiko movements that I owned one of them failed and had to be replaced.
I have noticed among internet watch reviewers the Steeldive brand gets pretty good reviews.

Back