What 112's To Get NOW

Mine came a couple of days ago. I posted it in the newest knife thread, but forgot to post here.

I really like this knife and ordered another. The wood, the blade(no BOS logo), the steel and the fit and finish make this a truly wonderful knife. I will carry one. :cool: 😁 :cool:
BTW it came with a USA sheath, black suede.

It photographs better in natural light(sunlight) and at different angles.
Sunlight
0TTO2Lc.jpg

ReINbfe.jpg

Indirect lighting...
3K5syIL.jpeg

jA5Spsy.jpg

Mine came a couple of days ago. I posted it in the newest knife thread, but forgot to post here.

I really like this knife and ordered another. The wood, the blade(no BOS logo), the steel and the fit and finish make this a truly wonderful knife. I will carry one. :cool: 😁 :cool:
BTW it came with a USA sheath, black suede.

It photographs better in natural light(sunlight) and at different angles.
Sunlight
0TTO2Lc.jpg

ReINbfe.jpg

Indirect lighting...
3K5syIL.jpeg

jA5Spsy.jpg
Wow, the pictures on the BCCI website doesn’t do that knife justice. Beautiful

I said that I thought I had bought a Koa 112. I kept digging and looking, found that there was a BOTM Koa 112 Take Apart issued in Dec 2021. Aluminum frame and a Bos SV45N blade. The Koa scales are not as finish and the chatoyance does not show up as well and with the BCCI Koa 112.
Here are the two for the thread...
Kh6z5tf.jpeg

As more collectors switch to or add the 112 to there collections rare ones, especially early knives, become harder to find. Plus I feel there is a gigantic black hole that sucks the very rarest/best never to be seen again. I think only death brings them back to market. And in the case of private collectors many are just...gone

As more collectors switch to or add the 112 to there collections rare ones, especially early knives, become harder to find. Plus I feel there is a gigantic black hole that sucks the very rarest/best never to be seen again. I think only death brings them back to market. And in the case of private collectors many are just...gone
In the car world we call those “Barn Finds” !! 🤩
John 😁

That is probably the most frustrating thing I have come up against too. I joined BCCI not long ago to gather information with the idea of getting into collecting some of the more rare Buck knives. Up until a couple years ago, I was simply a user of Buck knives with no real aspirations of collecting. I had no idea Buck made so many really impressive knives - worthy of collecting. I was busy buying the odd S&W revolver. The price on those has gone from affordable to insane. I'm content with the few I have now (don't tell my wife I said that). And now when I step into this new arena I'm finding the same thing out with Buck knives. Again, I'm about 10-15 years too late. I laugh out loud sometimes when I cruise the bay for an older 110 or 112. Or anything really. I have come to the conclusion that I will live vicariously through you and a few of the others here on this forum that have stunning collections and have been doing so for decades. You and Makael and Dogpound could set up a museum and charge admission! The number and quality of rare knives you all have acquired over the years is incredible!

I am grateful that Buck is a company that still caters to the collector and makes small runs of unique knives. I am paying attention to those now. I have now determined now that I will be content with fishing for a good example of the different versions of both the 110 and 112 over the years of production. As more slip into that black hole you mentioned it will take more time but I am patient and up for a challenge. I will also pay more attention to the "for sale" section here. It doesn't seem like everyone wants to get rich quick with every sale. There are still some good deals to be had. I might have to sell some of my S&W's to afford some of them though.

I hope this didn't sound like a rant. I'm trying to begin "well" and it sounds like you are trying to end well. You are drawing near to a "perfect" collection, if there is such a thing, and I'm starting at the beginning, praying for, as John put it, those "barn finds." Although thankfully, Bucks don't rust into the ground. The worst they get are a bad blade and a little verdigris.

Thanks though for sharing your collection with us. I'm certain if anyone can figure out how to get those rare and best 112's out of the black hole, I'm sure you will figure a way.

Craig

Craig.. What's important is to decide on a dozen or so you will like to be the base of your collection. Any Damascus is good for that top 12 list. Just asking WILL find you great knives and most 'advanced' collectors actually want there babies to find a good home! Top price to a flipper..family price to another collector. Go for one without box shieth and paperwork. Many fantastic 112's were separated from that even new. COA's and letters ARE important tho..Get one from the seller himself if nothing else. So many rare 112's can be compared to 60's muscle cars. Pristine all original examples exist but the folks who have them KNOW what they have.. most of the time. Research!! Learn!! Look at past sales to know when you find a bargain.
Odd things happen. For many years I looked very very hard for a BG-42 112. Few to none were offered. Then last year half a dozen showed up on Larry Oden's list and I scored a NIB version with finger groves..one of less than a handful made. Act fast when a very rare one pops up because it will be gone. Be of good cheer because bargains CAN be found. $250.00 or less buys some great knives! Trades are another way to get the Buck you want. Sometimes the only way. Network and talk to other 112 fans as you always learn..

Craig.. What's important is to decide on a dozen or so you will like to be the base of your collection. Any Damascus is good for that top 12 list. Just asking WILL find you great knives and most 'advanced' collectors actually want there babies to find a good home! Top price to a flipper..family price to another collector. Go for one without box shieth and paperwork. Many fantastic 112's were separated from that even new. COA's and letters ARE important tho..Get one from the seller himself if nothing else. So many rare 112's can be compared to 60's muscle cars. Pristine all original examples exist but the folks who have them KNOW what they have.. most of the time. Research!! Learn!! Look at past sales to know when you find a bargain.
Odd things happen. For many years I looked very very hard for a BG-42 112. Few to none were offered. Then last year half a dozen showed up on Larry Oden's list and I scored a NIB version with finger groves..one of less than a handful made. Act fast when a very rare one pops up because it will be gone. Be of good cheer because bargains CAN be found. $250.00 or less buys some great knives! Trades are another way to get the Buck you want. Sometimes the only way. Network and talk to other 112 fans as you always learn..
I had a feeling you would come back with some great advice. Lots of good stuff to think about in that paragraph. Twelve is an easy number to wrap my head around. I honestly have no aspirations of building a colossal collection but I have always been a collector of something starting young. In the early 80s through 2000 it was Ford muscle cars. I would buy, rehab/restore them. Some I would sell to fund the next purchase. You could still find them in barns and backyards for a relatively low price. I developed a network of people that all spoke the same language and worked together to find/trade/help work on cars. By the mid 90s, the first boomers were starting to retire and the price of old cars skyrocketed. Then in '01, I went to seminary and sold 13 cars and truckloads of parts. That effectively took me out of the muscle car business. I'm grateful to have kept two that I still work on and drive as time allows.

Smith & Wessons took the place of what I collected next. I had always been a shooter but I gained some focus. Again coming in a little late, I hunted for a clean examples of several models. Not a big collection but some neat pieces you don't see much anymore. COVID, for some reason, was a turning point in prices. Almost overnight, prices doubled or tripled (or more) in some cases. The frenzy of buying on Goingbroker is crazy. I have backed off from looking much anymore. I go to gun shows to find the needle in the haystack, but am about done there too.

Part of the reason is that I recently stepped back from church work to develop a new ministry for pastors and missionaries. Let's just say that has redirected my income stream. Since collecting things that interest me is still part of my DNA, I chose to redirect my energy to something more manageable. I know some of you just laughed at that because this can be a rabbit hole of its own. What I mean by that is, I can't spend $50K on a car anymore or a firearm at $1k-$3k is not a realistic expense (for me now) but a knife periodically at $250 or less is far more manageable and I as I have learned, just as satisfying. And I think my wife - who's always been a saint - would even be a little more tolerant of it.

As I said in another thread, I have been enamored with Buck knives for as long as I can remember. I have used them as tools for decades. I really appreciated the moral foundation of the company. The testimony of the owners has always been top tier. The construction and design of their products fit my idea of what quality is, so I thought it would be a good place to focus my resources and time. As I started looking more into the company and products a whole new world opened up. I had no idea how broad the Buck product line went not to mention their custom work. I was blown away...and at the same time sorry I didn't begin to invest sooner. What I have learned over the last couple of years is that Buck never produces special runs or steels forever. I kick myself for thinking 5160 and Magnacut or BG-42 and CPM154, etc., etc., would be a long term offering. I plan to get on the front end and buy some of the factory offerings so I don't have look for it later when it's sold at 5 times the original price - or more.

All that being said (I promise I'm about done), as I joined into the conversations on this sub-forum, it feels a lot like the network of guys I hung out with in my muscle car days. Advice is freely given and direction and support is offered simply because we're all interested in the same things. There are always those guys that know more than you ever will but can be trusted to explain it to you. "Parts" are swapped back and forth when the need arises. That's kind of rare these days. There are no "knife guys" where I live so I'd like to hang around here and take part in the community. I don't see myself hunting "1 of 1" 112's (plural) - although that would be amazing. Finding even one rare iteration that could be the centerpiece of my collection would be awesome. So I will tighten up my list and keep my eyes open for starters - and watch and listen closely to what goes on here. Thanks again for the insight and direction. I look forward to my continuing education.

Craig

Could be why they're still available ☺️
I've been debating joining the BBCI for a while, but just never got around to doing it. That 112 up there ^ pushed me over the edge. I just joined, and after exploring the website for a few minutes, I ordered one of those ugly 112's:). I just hope mine will be as nice as that one.
I have no idea what my BBCI member # is though.

Joining the BCCI is your FIRST move for everything Buck. Just the website alone is a incredible resource. Decades of newsletters is one you don't want to miss as highly detailed and specific information is found in them. Many of the old time collectors FREELY share knowledge so network with them. Go to the Blade Show if at all possible this spring..
I chase and love Oddballs! Long ago I realized on my budget I could find them at a decent price as not all collectors "value" them like I did.. Muscle cars are a great analogy to Buck collecting..In many ways the "Hunt" is the best part of my journey but beware when you DO FIND a Grail knife.. Your 'hunt' is over.

Joining the BCCI is your FIRST move for everything Buck. Just the website alone is a incredible resource. Decades of newsletters is one you don't want to miss as highly detailed and specific information is found in them. Many of the old time collectors FREELY share knowledge so network with them. Go to the Blade Show if at all possible this spring..
I chase and love Oddballs! Long ago I realized on my budget I could find them at a decent price as not all collectors "value" them like I did.. Muscle cars are a great analogy to Buck collecting..In many ways the "Hunt" is the best part of my journey but beware when you DO FIND a Grail knife.. Your 'hunt' is over.
I was going through some of the old catalogs on the BCCI site. When I bought this Buck 110 in 1976, it was listed for $22. That was the absolute most that I ever spent on a knife up to that point, and for quite a few years after, too. The thing gutted a lot of deer, scraped a lot of gaskets, and cut up a lot of sammiches & apples in its time. Sometimes all in the same day. And it still gets carried. A pic from today:

Back