What 112's To Get NOW

It's been a while since I looked at this thread..So I thought I share a few more tips. First there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with actually carrying and using some in your collection. Especially ones that have seen careful use before you got it! I really really enjoy grabbing a nice one to carry and make a point to carry one like that if I'm a a show. Even if I don't cut something with it. Pride in ownership of a quality tool has 'value' to me. But be careful IF you hand in to a non knife person. I bought one of the BCCI 301's in BG-42 (very rare and limited) and our drummer ask if I had a knife and said 'Sure' and when I looked at what He was doing I freaked out because he was trying to cut some wire on his drum kit with it! But careful use and especially sharpening will let you enjoy collecting much more.
But not every one! I have a few that I consider myself to be just a Custodian of Bucks history and take great pains to store and maintain like new. Especially mirror polished blades. So enjoy ownership! Another point is EXPECT your collecting goals to change as time and knowledge goes on.. Some times ya gotta 'Thin the Herd' and pass them on to another collector. And for some that's extremely hard to do. My brother is a perfect example. He must have over 600 110's and it's gotten to the point he just can't physically display all of them! Plus he really enjoys creating variations Buck never made (twin blades especially) and that's NOT cheep. It's hard for him to sell any as I think he considers them almost as his children but he can't remember all what he has..and getting ready for the Virginia show he found a BUNCH of duplicates..Time to thin the herd lolol!
I want to add again SAVE all the boxes, shieths and paperwork! I made a big mistake separating the correct shieth and boxes from many of my 112's especially from the many build outs I chased 2010 to 2016. I just can't remember what 112 goes with what shieth and frankly rare versions from limited runs that are not obvious from tang stamp or handle materials I just don't remember what made it rare or odd. I used to have a a brass ebony 2 dot that had super thick handles.. bigger than fat stag. I know now it HAD TO BE a employee knife and was very valuable and rare but but I probably gave it to a granddaughter's boy friend..So do the research and keep great records so when it's time to thin your herd you get the real value of the knives and the new owner knows what he now has.

K003F9O_d.jpg
Got this one yet?

Does the BCCI discount apply to that one?
I have no idea. I EDC a 112 and sometimes I feel it’s a little less grippy than I would like so when I saw this beauty I winced at the price, and then ordered it anyway. It feels so incredible to hold. I think it’s so beautiful that when I found out they made a 110 version of it last year, I bought it immediately on the fleabay. It arrived today!
RZJ0ZAq_d.webp

I have no idea. I EDC a 112 and sometimes I feel it’s a little less grippy than I would like so when I saw this beauty I winced at the price, and then ordered it anyway. It feels so incredible to hold. I think it’s so beautiful that when I found out they made a 110 version of it last year, I bought it immediately on the fleabay. It arrived today!
RZJ0ZAq_d.webp
They look great! I’ll have to check one out soon.

Certainly look like money well spent! Rugged and well built for sure. Great looking blades.
They are both S45VN. My current EDC is a drop point S30V 112. I’m not sure how the steels compare but as soon as my new horizontal sheath arrives, I’ll start carrying this new Richlite 112. It’s sharp as heck and I can’t wait!

Last edited:
It's been a while since I looked at this thread..So I thought I share a few more tips. First there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with actually carrying and using some in your collection. Especially ones that have seen careful use before you got it! I really really enjoy grabbing a nice one to carry and make a point to carry one like that if I'm a a show. Even if I don't cut something with it. Pride in ownership of a quality tool has 'value' to me. But be careful IF you hand in to a non knife person. I bought one of the BCCI 301's in BG-42 (very rare and limited) and our drummer ask if I had a knife and said 'Sure' and when I looked at what He was doing I freaked out because he was trying to cut some wire on his drum kit with it! But careful use and especially sharpening will let you enjoy collecting much more.
But not every one! I have a few that I consider myself to be just a Custodian of Bucks history and take great pains to store and maintain like new. Especially mirror polished blades. So enjoy ownership! Another point is EXPECT your collecting goals to change as time and knowledge goes on.. Some times ya gotta 'Thin the Herd' and pass them on to another collector. And for some that's extremely hard to do. My brother is a perfect example. He must have over 600 110's and it's gotten to the point he just can't physically display all of them! Plus he really enjoys creating variations Buck never made (twin blades especially) and that's NOT cheep. It's hard for him to sell any as I think he considers them almost as his children but he can't remember all what he has..and getting ready for the Virginia show he found a BUNCH of duplicates..Time to thin the herd lolol!
I want to add again SAVE all the boxes, shieths and paperwork! I made a big mistake separating the correct shieth and boxes from many of my 112's especially from the many build outs I chased 2010 to 2016. I just can't remember what 112 goes with what shieth and frankly rare versions from limited runs that are not obvious from tang stamp or handle materials I just don't remember what made it rare or odd. I used to have a a brass ebony 2 dot that had super thick handles.. bigger than fat stag. I know now it HAD TO BE a employee knife and was very valuable and rare but but I probably gave it to a granddaughter's boy friend..So do the research and keep great records so when it's time to thin your herd you get the real value of the knives and the new owner knows what he now has.
There is so much to like in this post. I wanted to respond to this when you wrote it but wanted to think about it first.

As I have said previously, I have always been a collector... but I have almost always used what I collect. I used to say if I won the lottery, I would buy a Boss 429 Mustang and drive it every day. But I never play the lottery so... Anyway, cars, guns or knives, I tend to use and enjoy. That has changed a little bit recently as I acquired in a trade an older much harder to find 110 in wonderful shape from a gracious member here along with a 40+ year old 112 that I doubt has ever been carried. Neither are particularly rare, but they are only original once. I probably won't be throwing either of them in my pocket. I try to take meticulous care of my things and rarely loan them out. I have very few limited editions that I go back and forth with actually using ...although I probably will. Because well, life is short.

I have noticed that the older I've become, the more "honed" my interests have become. I have begun to think about, as you said, thinning the herd to get rid of the ones I've lost interest in and free up funds to purchase the harder to find knives I am looking for. Or ones I never knew existed. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at the thinning part... yet. I hope to get better. I also see the need for records. I do this with firearms but I haven't started with my knives. As for the boxes, where do you store all you must have? I don't have that many and still have cabinets full of them. I'm glad for the reminder about the sheaths. I can see when these new knives are old someday, having the right sheath is much more important.

I really appreciate you sharing your insight. The reality is with the budget I am working with, I don't plan on building a huge collection. Rare or limited editions are immediately out of my price range if I don't catch them when they are first released. But I think that's okay. I am finding great enjoyment in rehabilitating old neglected 110's and 112's and swapping out the scales of the current offerings - and then using them all. It's a wonderful distraction that I can carry with me everyday. And the great thing is, every once in a while you do find a rare knife and add it to the collection you have setting on your desk to look at and hold when you work. (or am I the only one that does that 🤔)

Again, thank you for sharing the wisdom you have learned for experience.

It's ok to be a caretaker.. after all just how many do you really need to cut stuff. I have a box of boxes and a file with COA's and paper work but what I DIDN'T count on was my memory fading a bit. Take pictures or notes and label with stickons if nothing else.
Thining the herd is a big topic..We all have to balance finding them a good home verses maximize the real investment we made in them. I would rather sell to another BCCI member especially if he/she displays what I want to sell but the fact is many members pick up a Buck bargain to sell and/or trade for what they really want. Nothing wrong with that as we ALL love a bargain lolol! The real problem is,especially on rare ones, what IS a 'fair' price? Is a particular Buck worth $150.00 or $300.00...or more? eBay gives a reference but a high asking price doesn't sell quickly at all. Time is money too..Do I want to spend hours taking pictures and making listings for a dozen 112's? Not really but that's the best way to get the most.. most of the time. Some of my best knives I sweated out that last hour of a listing. Lost more than I won by a long shot but occasionally a great one goes very very cheep. That's why we bid. I sold a few in 2014 to buy a pair of Gen 4 Glocks and many times later regreted selling most because they didn't bring much. I haven't decided yet how I'm going to thin My herd yet..

Back