What A RipOFF!!!!!!!!!!!

KJB

BANNED
Hey does anyone else think the Ultra-Lock by Cold Steel is a bit of a Axis-Lock ripoff!!

Cold Steel says that this designe was in the making for 2 years, what a bunch of dumb-asses, they just saw the Axis-Lock and tried to make an "improved" version of it.

Anyone else share my point of view?

i found a drawing of its internals somewhere....i dont remember, but it is significantly different than benchmades system. I do think cold steel is kind of a me too company when it comes to folders. i dont really like those CS knives but its nothing to get sued over, i think the arc-lock is even closer to the bm system.

This being said, i can understand your opinion

the owner of said company spent some time staring at my tnt a year and a half ago.........3 or 4 months later he came out with a knife that had a handle that was very "similar"!! :rolleyes:

Boy are you right about arc-lock, why can't these companys get thier own ideas, I agree that sueing would be going way to far.

there are also three spring assisted openings on the market right now, the Kershaw speed safe and two "different" ones. Kershaw is pursuing the matter in court!

Hey Mayo,

I had a look at your TNT line :eek: nice handels, sort of an old street fighter switch-blade style, so nice I might have to make one of my own,(Just kidding :D )

waaay before BM came out with the axis, some custom maker, whom I cannot remember made a modified SOG jetedge, with the "dog"lock. He then got permission from gerber, who almost sued him ovr its similarities to the lock on the chameleon. I wish I could remember, but it was a cover knife for blade mag like 2 years ago. if Walker had patented anything near the liner lock, where would that leave all of us?

i really wish that Mayo could get his act together and build one of those California james dean stilletos.

I heard Kershaw just beat GATCO in court over their timberline assisted opener. i wonder if SOG will fair better.

KJB i agree there are still plenty of great locks to be invented, The axis lock is great but by no means perfect. Since i dont have the tools or the materials (or expertise) i spend muich of my knife time drawing locks (sometimes the rest of the knife), and i would like to think that i have come up with some original ones that would be very successful, and if i can do it, then people whose JOB it is to come up with new locks should be able to invent something at least reasonably interesting.

Tom, they look something like the above mentioned knife that was made after the owner of said company spent time staring at your TNT.

Damn I hope you understood that, because I'm not sure I do.

Grant Hawk went to Gerber to ask permission, they didnt come after him. They decided he couldn't make enough to affect their business in any way and gave him permission to use it.

I guess all's fair in love and war...and business!
Spyderco started the pocket-clip craze and just look how many jumped on board.
And nobody can even count how many times the Buck 110 has been copied.

Such is life,
Allen.

As far as Kershaw going after anyone for stealing their designs I was always under the impression that Blackie Collins came up with the assisted opener a long time before Kershaw's Onion collaborations. Which gets back to design rip-offs. Which came first the chicken or the egg? When is a clone not a clone? When is something being knocked off and when isn't it?
Bob

The story of Grant Hawk was published in Blade Magazine. In the story, I recall that Grank hawk actually went to Gerber himself and personally asked for permission. In the story, it was said that he came up with the design on his own only only later discovered that it was already patented. Recently, there have been a few makers that have made Emerson Wave variations that Emerson has had to step in. The arc-lock, cold-steel, and axis lock, though they look similar, may have some minute differences that allow the companies to overlook the patents. I'd beinterested in seeing exactly what the differences are. I know that the release buttons are located differently on the designs. Maybe the locks work differently.

i still cant find the drawing of the cold steel lock, but from memory, the Bolt floats in an acr shaped cut out in the tang of the blade, when the blade reaches the open position the arc shaped cut out takes a 90 degree turn and the bolt slides upwards locking the blade. on BM's system the bolt slideson the bottom of the tang then slips into a cutout in the tang, so coldsteel's system is kind of like the AXis but the bolt is compleatly enclosed. I have never seen sog's in person, but i would guess that it is just like the Axis lock except that the bolt path is arc shaped. Now if i could just figure out what a nested rolling lock was.

There was a lengthy discussion of the SOG Arc Lock vs the Benchmade Axis in this thread. It points out the differences in philosophy, as well as the similarities...
Rob

ultralock

ultralock-series-sm.jpg

Originally posted by Dijos
waaay before BM came out with the axis, some custom maker, whom I cannot remember made a modified SOG jetedge, with the "dog"lock. He then got permission from gerber, who almost sued him ovr its similarities to the lock on the chameleon. I wish I could remember, but it was a cover knife for blade mag like 2 years ago. if Walker had patented anything near the liner lock, where would that leave all of us?

Actually had that magizine on the floor under my desk! It was the April 2000 issue of Blade, and it was the D.O.G. folder by Grant Hawk. Stood for Deadbolt Over Grab.

The article was written by Hawk himself, and he said that Gerber was actually very relaxed about the patent issue and gave him their blessing to make his folders.

I heard that Cold Steel talked with benchmade, even though their locks do have significant design differences. Hmm.. maybe I'm thinking of another company though. Does what I said sound familiar to any of you?

Back