What about that Salayan?

Uncle Bill, do you think the kamis will ever try to make anymore Salayans or some of the "less popular" khukuris that have come through the cantina in years past? I bet a model of your Salayan avatar khukuri would be a huge seller!!!:D

hysterical laughter hee hee hee haw haw haw hee hee hee ( edited for lack of semantic comment ).

Have you ever seen a khuk with 3/4 inch spine? That happened the last time the kamis tried to do a copy of the signature salyan. Really. I bought one.

OK, back to the hysterical laughter. Hee Hee Hee ( continued ) etc. :footinmou :footinmou :footinmou
I can't stop ROTFLMAO :eek: :D ;) :D ;) :D har har har

3/4 inch spine? That happened the last time the kamis tried
Wish I knew something about forging.

How could they just stop forging with it still too thick?

If they had it, weighed it, looked at it..........?

Curious.

Does your 3/4"thick Salyan have a Superman "S" symbol on the belly?

Must be a heck of a chopper if you can lift it.

Bill + Rusty

I would actually be interested in a Salyan-type-design. However, that doesn't mean I want a "Super Salyan" - otherwise known as the boat-anchor. :rolleyes:

Here's a CAD drawing based on the Salyan in Bill's Avatar.

***maximize your browser***

Here's an M43 on top for comparison:

you know where this is going by now, right?

Over the last few months, a few people have asked me to come up with a Salyan Design and now you have it.

Comments anyone?

Again, Top = M43
Middle = Salyan
Bottom = Salyan/Hanuman prototype

How could they just stop forging with it still too thick?

My guess is that they compressed the blade into being that thick. When Ive seen leaf springs, they havent been all that thick. There is a way in forging to make thin stock thicker, and I see it done all the time in third world countries when working with thin leaf springs.

Dan-
I like the way you pulled the different ones in to perspective with the drawings. How much different is the sherpa-style we were talking about, before all hell broke loose in Maryland, & the Salayan-style?
Watch yore top-knot!!!

Originally posted by Federico How could they just stop forging with it still too thick? My guess is that they compressed the blade into being that thick.
Then my question is why did they make it that thick?

Seems to me that if you take (for example)
2 pounds of steel to replicate a 2 pound blade,
and you copy the profile and taper
[looking at the original piece I assume]
that you end up with a thickness very close to the original.

But I'm essentially ignorant regarding the forging art,
so I'd like to be educated.
If they did not have the original to weigh or look at
I can better understand the descrepency.

Or maybe it was a kami joke.

So what so you think of making a wood model of the Salyan, say 15 inches to start and then we could mail it off and bring back alive a legend!!!! Would any of the great wood chuckers around here want to carve up a model like Uncles Bills avatar?:)

Back