What about that Salayan?

Federico, they had IIRC the avatar salyan ( 12 or 14 inches long ) in their hands and Bill asked them to scale it up. They took him literally.

Can you see the reasoning? ( Kamis talking = "This is 12" long and almost 7/16 thick, he wants it enlarged to 20 long so lets not quite double the thickness...."

Do khuks NEED to be that thick? For that matter, does any knife need to be that thick? It seems to me that battle khuks (the ones meant for combat, obviously) were thinner but more wide...is this true, or am I just imagining it?

I love my HI khuks, they are wonderful tools, and as tools darn near indestructible. With that said, I do think the kamis take the pry-bar aspects that many of us use our khuks for, way too much at heart. Sacrificing usability for indestructibility. Though there is something comforting about the shear mass of HI khuks.

For me, the problem with that last batch of super-salyans wasn't the thickness, but (as Rusty put it) the "scaling".

The handle went up to 8.5" I believe - which is way too much.

I absolutely love the salyan profile. In the design, I put that into a full tang handle with a hanuman-ish bend at the end. In my mind, it's the perfect combination of all the khukuris I love. I like the deep belly & long fuller on the YCS. I think 18"-19" is the perfect length. I prefer full tang (or at least, a pinned tang) to a stick tang for durability. Vibration isn't a big deal for me, since I have a regular day job and would never use it 24-7...:D

Also, the bend is just right...not as steep as the M43, but more aggressive than an AK.

I would put the blade thickness on this one at 3/8" min. to 1/2" max.

Any other thoughts?

Anybody out there like an all steel handle instead of wood/horn?
(the one in Bill's avatar is all metal)

Dan-
Think you better count me in on this one. Even the old GRS is saying "get us a new one, Daddy!" I know where there is probably fixing to be a pre-'64, Model 70 Winchester with target barrel & etc. in .308, for sale. Good Unertl scope on top of her, & you might need to do a little sniper huntin' up that way. Y'all be careful up there.

ME TOO!!!:D I'm in if we could find some one talented enough to carv out a model! Any takers?;)

I've always loved the salyan Uncle Bill has in his avatar, so I'll be interested as long as I have the extra funds.;)

And actually, Pen, Uncle's salyan has a carved spotted deer antler handle, not metal.

:eek: Thanks Matt H... must've been looking at khuks too long... :rolleyes: (and I'm the one that made Bill's avatar...:confused: )

I really like how the all-metal-handle looks and feels, but have yet to really put one to a good test.

Originally posted by pendentive
I really like how the all-metal-handle looks and feels, but have yet to really put one to a good test.

Dan I may be wrong, but I doubt you will like the all metal handle with extended use and if it's brass it will stink!!!!:barf:

In my opinion the all metal handle will be slick and hard to hold when your hand gets sweaty.
The engraved handle such as is on the Royal Banspati may be less slippery but I don't know and aluminium will surely be better than brass as it doesn't stink like the brass does although your hand may get black from using the aluminium as it does with extended use from a brass handle.

The scale on the Super Salyans is perfect!!!! If you lay on edge up against something and step back about 20 feet it's in perfect scale and looks just like the logo.
You're right about the handle being too large though. I cut mine down and have yet to finish it.
Actually I like the rougher finish as it's easy to hang onto.
It's just a little scary to have a knife that size go flying across the ground barely missing your ankle when the overly large handle slips out of your grasp!!!!:eek: :eek:
That happened twice to me on two different occasions and will never happen again because the handle's too large!!!!:eek:

The chopping action of the Super Salyan does have a place in heavy work. It splits wood like a champ while the Ganga Ram Special makes a better felling khuk, makes for one helluva team!!!!:D

Originally posted by raghorn
They do this to us on purpose, don't they? :rolleyes:

I can't positively swear to it, but it surely does look suspicious to me, don't you think?

The brass handles really do look good, but I haven't ever used one either. I think Yvsa's right that they aren't too practical, though. Personally I prefer bone or antler for it's feel, but it just isn't that tough and can break under heavy use. :(

BTTT for more discussion.

So far 3 takers...

Anybody else?

To have a copy of Bills Avatar in reality would be nice. Would be a nice Wall Hanger. However, I wouldn't recommend a brass or aluminum handle for USE! I have one aluminum handle and it is always cold, not like the warmth of the horn or wood handles. Haven't had it out in hot weather, but might get a bit hot in this NM heat in the summer.

I now remember that I played around with this a little more and came up with a 20" version that will definitely knock your socks off.

Here is the analysis:

New Design:
salyan8-1.gif

with grid...
salyan8-2.gif

Comparison:

1 - M43
2 - Bill's Avatar Salyan
3 - YCS
4 - New Salyan Design

salyan8-3.gif

salyan8-4.gif

salyan8-5.gif

Overall length = 20"

Blade length = 13.5"

Belly = 3" :eek:
- would probably be fullered by the kami - that's ok w/ me

Handle length = 6.5"
- wood handle would be best

This would definitely be a user (more like "bruiser")...

Hopefully, this will look better than the last batch...:rolleyes:

Comments?

I'm estimating this one to come in around 70 oz. and probably at least $175-$200 (still less than the last batch).

All this, of course, depends on who makes it...:rolleyes:

Of those that are interested, should I go ahead and put out a design for the karda/chakma as well?

I am up for one. I won't carve a model though, I still owe Enrique one for his AK bowie short sword. Horn or wood handles definately.

Back