What are these knives from Hoffman-Richter?

OP has 4 posts, all here... Perhaps we're dealing with the manufacturer.

Just in case:

I'm not interested in your "knives" and please, if indeed you are in Texas, stop listing your location. I like it here.

Make a quality, original product that's up to the competition and we'll revisit the issue.

4 posts, but I've been reading the forum for a couple years now. And I have nothing to do with the company, save ordering the aforementioned knife from them.

Both you and I don't know if it is a quality knife or it isn't. Thus the purpose of the thread.

One day I would like to visit Texas. Perhaps I will for the 2018 NRA annual meeting.

4 posts, but I've been reading the forum for a couple years now. And I have nothing to do with the company, save ordering the aforementioned knife from them.

Both you and I don't know if it is a quality knife or it isn't. Thus the purpose of the thread.
Its just that forum members stop in their tracks in light of the conversation:

Forum member 1 posts a cheapo (not that cheap knives are bad - buy for example a Mora) X brand most likely chinese made knife (not that there are neccessarily anything wrong with Chinese made knives) with a website that cant spell the model name of their own (rip off design) knife and outrageous claims of it being unbreakable and other assorted hyperbole clearly aimed at the relatively -how to put this- ...gullible knife buyer.

Im okay with 440 steel for some knives but it is not held in high regard here.
Small wonder - its a knife forum with a percentage of 'knife afficionados/nerds' and people like their super steels.

And yes, we CAN say with a fair degree of certainty, that this is NOT a quality knife.

You get what you pay for.

Unanimously other forum members advise that said knife be dragged behind the shed, put out of its misery...... THEN nuked from space.

Forum member 1 then posts, that the above peaked his interest and he will buy the knife due to the posts clearly stating, that its a piece of 'carp.'

You see how it doesnt add up in the eyes of those others, who have posted until now.

A forum member inquires but doesnt heed the answers.

That being said its your money and you can buy which ever knife you want. Post pics.

Last edited:

One day I would like to visit Texas. Perhaps I will for the 2018 NRA annual meeting.

Welcome to the forums then.

that said I've never found 440 I was remotely happy with edge retention.

Funny, I have yet to find any CPM super-steel that I was remotely happy with the edge retention of... None of them has made it out of my backyard, including on one multi-thousand dollar custom (not happy about that one, so I hung on testing it for a year before finally quitting)... On the other hand, all the Japanese, Lile, Cox and Randall made 440, and all of the Al Mar Aus-6 has blown me away, but hey, that can't be, the content is not right...

Gaston

Funny, I have yet to find any CPM super-steel that I was remotely happy with the edge retention of... None of them has made it out of my backyard, including on one multi-thousand dollar custom (not happy about that one, so I hung on testing it for a year before finally quitting)... On the other hand, all the Japanese, Lile, Cox and Randall made 440, and all of the Al Mar Aus-6 has blown me away, but hey, that can't be, the content is not right...

Gaston

And most people completely disagree.

Last edited:
Not that it's a surprise (it's fairly obvious), but just for fun, I emailed customer support to inquire about where their knives are made. It's funny how they tried to avoid providing a real answer in their first response:
V19k6fS.png

O9Zc12y.png

Its just that forum members stop in their tracks in light of the conversation:

Forum member 1 posts a cheapo (not that cheap knives are bad - buy for example a Mora) X brand most likely chinese made knife (not that there are neccessarily anything wrong with Chinese made knives) with a website that cant spell the model name of their own (rip off design) knife and outrageous claims of it being unbreakable and other assorted hyperbole clearly aimed at the relatively -how to put this- ...gullible knife buyer.

Im okay with 440 steel for some knives but it is not held in high regard here.
Small wonder - its a knife forum with a percentage of 'knife afficionados/nerds' and people like their super steels.

And yes, we CAN say with a fair degree of certainty, that this is NOT a quality knife.

You get what you pay for.

Unanimously other forum members advise that said knife be dragged behind the shed, put out of its misery...... THEN nuked from space.

Forum member 1 then posts, that the above peaked his interest and he will buy the knife due to the posts clearly stating, that its a piece of 'carp.'

You see how it doesnt add up in the eyes of those others, who have posted until now.

A forum member inquires but doesnt heed the answers.

That being said its your money and you can buy which ever knife you want. Post pics.

The OP asked for experience with the product. Thus far, not one has come forward to volunteer such. I'll admit that the product doesn't pass the smell test, though an opinion of a few educated board posters, while valuable, are still are ignorant upon the product that I inquired. All speculation and nothing proven is akin to Galileo taking the thought "experts" to task with his Leaning Tower of Pisa experiment.

What do I really have to lose? Pay 30 bucks to have some fun, and maybe learn something in the process? If I ruin the knife, I can always asked for it to be replaced or repaired.

http://www.hoffmanrichter.com/warranty-info

Hoffman Richter unlimited lifetime warranty
If your Hoffman Richter product ever fails to meet complete satisfaction it will be repaired or replaced free of charge. simply CALL US AT (512) 900-2493, REQUEST AN RMA #, AND return it to the following address along with your RMA #.

Welcome to the forums then.

Thank you.

Gaston

Agreed. If I would have listened to the "experts (snobs)," I would have had at least one of the two Glocks I purchased, blow up in my hand or otherwise fail me.

Not that it's a surprise (it's fairly obvious), but just for fun, I emailed customer support to inquire about where their knives are made. It's funny how they tried to avoid providing a real answer in their first response: (snip)

Yeah, that's a problem. Perhaps they moonlight for the DNC.

I'll admit that the product doesn't pass the smell test.
Ohh, I belive most here are perfectly aware of what the product is ...or rather is not.

I believe, what was hinted at by another forum member, was that you might be a shill for the manufacturer.

I dont know if you are one way or the other, but as mentioned it smelled a bit funny, that forum members didnt exactly heap praise on the product and those somewhat derogatory posts made you buy it according to your posts.

Its just that some of us are cynics here - there have been many many examples of shills.

Again, you might be a straight shooter - in that case, buy the thing, beat the snot out of it and post pics.

Im subscribed, so will tune in, if you test the knife and post here.

2 years lurking and doesn't know not to post politics in GKD.

Those are fool and their money knives.

Ohh, I belive most here are perfectly aware of what the product is ...or rather is not.

I believe, what was hinted at by another forum member, was that you might be a shill for the manufacturer.

I dont know if you are one way or the other, but as mentioned it smelled a bit funny, that forum members didnt exactly heap praise on the product and those somewhat derogatory posts made you buy it according to your posts.

Its just that some of us are cynics here - there have been many many examples of shills.

Again, you might be a straight shooter - in that case, buy the thing, beat the snot out of it and post pics.

Im subscribed, so will tune in, if you test the knife and post here.

You're probably right about the product, but I'm not convinced based strictly upon ignorant speculation, albeit educated speculation. As such, I can be considered a cynic as well.

There may posters here that will bash any product that on the smallest level, competes with a line that they may or may not have an interest. I don't know, but I also know that some poster's ad hom attack isn't proving anything to me.

The steel may be crap, the manufacturing may be crap, or it could be that just the company management is crap. Nobody here knows, because nobody here has bothered to purchase their product, much less put it through a torture test.

I'm supposed to get the blade sometime next week. I'm open to specific recommendations for the torture test.

Last edited:
No politics here. There is a section for that crap. I'll also recommend you read the rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

2 years lurking and doesn't know not to post politics in GKD.

Those are fool and their money knives.

It would appear that placing the response in context is lost upon the both of you.

No matter.

You're probably right about the product, but I'm not convinced based strictly upon ignorant speculation, albeit educated speculation. As such, I can be considered a cynic as well.

There may posters here that will bash any product that on the smallest level, competes with a line that they may or may not have an interest. I don't know, but I also know that some poster's ad hom attack isn't proving anything to me.

The steel may be crap, the manufacturing may be crap, or it could be that just the company management is crap. Nobody here knows, because nobody here has bothered to purchase their product, much less put it through a torture test.

I'm supposed to get the blade sometime next week. I'm open to specific recommendations for the torture test.

I've never eaten a manure sandwich and I have no need to try one just to find out if it's good.

You're following the shill script very well. I guess you don't really care since all that matters is the google hits you're earning through this.

I've never eaten a manure sandwich and I have no need to try one just to find out if it's good.

You're following the shill script very well. I guess you don't really care since all that matters is the google hits you're earning through this.

Then by all means, ask the mods to remove the thread. I won't protest.

If that is what it takes to prove to the over-paranoid that I'm not plugging a product, then so be it.

I'm still wondering what the point of this torture test is? It won't do a thing to evaluate the quality of the knife. Crap stainless is often tougher than actual knife steels, so if the steel is a lower grade than advertised it would actually produce a more impressive result.

Noss destruction tested knives that already had a known performance level in utility tasks. When utility performance is already known, toughness is just another useful datapoint to consider. When utility performance is unknown, as with HRs, knowing the toughness is near useless.

Back