What are you on the lookout for?

What are the knives and makers you're on the lookout for, these days? I think most of all are fairly opportunistic in our approach (we'll consider any knife that we buy and is good value) but we also have a few knives / makers we're actively on the lookout for, maybe knives we'd be happy to pay retail price for. For example, I'm nearly certain that Coop is on the lookout for Hill Pearce. As for me, I'm on the lookout for:
- Don Fogg (big surprise, I know), particularly not too basic pieces.
- Robbin Hudson
- Kevin Cashen
- Jimmy Fikes

I'm pretty selective these days because I already have too many knives and am the process of "managing down" my collection.

What about you?

Button Lock Silver Fox with damascus blade by Elishewitz(Got it!)
The friggin' dagger that I have had on order with NICK WHEELER for almost 2 years!
Ladder pattern damascus El Diablo by Harvey Dean
Dan Maragni(the person, not a piece, but he has his hands full right now)
Anything by Paul Champagne
Lee Williams Iceman with bolsters
Pat Nihiser recurve bowie folder

That's about it right now, everything else, I have on order.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Probably the thing that would spike my adrenaline the most would be seeing a Russ Andrews up for sale.

I should just get on his waiting list.

I am waiting for my chance at a Scott Cook, a Bob Lum a Wilkins and Fitch. I would also like a Fogg before I die but we'll see lol.

Scott Cook, I messed up when I had the chance, and am looking for THAT Lochsa!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Don Fogg - like Joss, looking for higher-end pieces

Tim Zowada - missed a good chance here, but hopeful we'll start seeing some more pieces soon

Tim Hancock - going to try to make it to the next AKI show and see if I can get lucky there

Anders Hogstrom - looking for a nice leg dagger, but all I've seen lately are smaller kwaiken pieces

Bailey Bradshaw - such great variety in his work, not looking for anything in particular here, but always looking

Kit Carson - Unusual pieces and flippers.
Custom kitchen knives
Any stag fighters that float my boat
Persian style bowie that Joss hates ;)

Greg Neely bowie... think I need one one of those.
Dunn and Cashen are on my radar screen.
I always keep an eye out for knives by Burt Foster.
Larry Fuegen.
And an Estonian bladesmith/artist named Tonu Arrak.

Part of me really wants an Owen Wood folder but it would have to be the right one.
Lee Williams, sure, love his knives, but I'm not going to go overboard trying to acquire one.

should keep me busy...

I have a hard time passing up anything by John M. Smith.

Love just about every big bowie I see from Jerry Fisk and Harvey Dean.

Been lusting after a katana from Michael Bell or Paul Champagne. I think it was back in '91 or '92 at the Guild show in Orlando, Champagne had a table with a video running of a cutting test done with one of his blades. Actually split an antique helmet with no visible damage to blade - awesome!
Wanted one ever since.

Interframe folders from George Herron and Jimmy Lile.

I am always looking for stuff by the following makers:

JL Williams
Tim Galyean
Deryk Munroe
DB Fraley
Russ Andrews
Jim Smyth

I would like a Jim Schmidt, Harvey Dean stag Diablo (not damascus), more Russ Andrews knives(on order), a Fisk Southwest bowie, Buddy's Potier, A Jim Crowell bowie and matching boot knife(on order), Bailey bradshaw sword, Jason knight gladius (on order), a Derosiers kitchen knife (on order) and
thats about it.

Michael Starr said:
Been lusting after a katana from Michael Bell ...Wanted one ever since.

Don't want a katana, but since I first ran into M. Bell in Eugene oh soooo long ago, I've wanted a Waki from him... He helped me figure out what an antique I had was, and I want him to make one in the same style! He was also extremely happy to see the one I had as the furniture on it was exquisite, in fact, he had only seen one other from that school... And then he asked me if I wanted to see it! :eek: Only his was the full on katana!
And apparently he also tests his blades on some hard stuff - he cuts steel cable... :D

Other than that, I would like to get a DesRosiers and a Jason Knight... Don't know what, but I've seen work by both and they make stuff I'd want if it came up... I'd also like a Fisk forged version of the Camillus OVB Fisk Bowie, either in desert ironwood or curly maple like the two Camillus versions I have (I know - do I need one? Well, I want a "REAL" one! LOL!!!!)

And like Joss said, I'm in the process of downsizing, but I'd ultimately like to include one of the above at some point in the future... :D

Ah - something else I'd be interested in:
- A beefy o-kissaki katana in L6 by Howard Clark or/and
- hira-zukuri L6 kat or wak.

There is a difference in 'on the lookout' and 'wish list'. I have many on my WI$H list. On the lookout infers that some action *might* take place. ;) it's all relative...

Funny in the last month I scored (2) knives I have wanted for a while: A wicked Hossum 'Revenge' tanto fixed blade, and the second nastiest tactical I know of: an RJ Martin Rampage. BOTH in green canvas micarta. Itch scratched. :thumbup:

Awaiting: Nick Wheeler is also is putzing on a small dirk for me. So will Don Hanson. Lee Williams has told me I am in the loop, and I am somewhere in Bob Lum's future. Kevin Wilkins just cut his hand and his production has been delayed (Get better Kevin!). That said, I have a Ghost Dog on order. I think DDR is going to make me a special Madd Maxx to my liking sometime.

On the lookout:
Jim Smyth
Joe Keeslar
Bob Garbé
Jim Small
Crawford KFF
Centofante
Dake
Herman Sliver
Loerchner most anything (Although out of the price league, so is his desire factor!)

Trumping ALL of the above is my desire for Hill Pearce's work. :D They're out there! Joss knows!

Cool thread.

Coop

SharpByCoop said:
There is a difference in 'on the lookout' and 'wish list'. I have many on my WI$H list. On the lookout infers that some action *might* take place. ;) it's all relative...
Coop

LOL!!! I hear ya... And admit the Fisk and the Bell would be on the "wishier" side, but I've got a feeling I'll come up with the Knight and the DesRosiers - I saw a Knight on Bladeart once, but apparently the supply fell thru as I never heard back. And I know both Jason and Adam are making blades I'd love to add... just a matter of timing! :D
And someone else I know I'll add with would be Craig Cammerer - of late he has been blowing me away, and I know he can make exactly what I want from him... once I can afford him again! LOL!! ;)

Anything more made by Richtig - and not the kitchen knives, etc. I have 2 of his daggers - and, well...there must be people that don't know what they are - they don't look - special.

richard rogers. stag or blacklip pearl slipjopint
bailey bradshaw. stag gents knife
rick browne. stag multiblade
bose (either) sub 3" stag slip joint

any tom mayo that appeals to me
scott cook small left handed lochsa (with dual studs) if he ever makes such a knife

The knives I get, I get directly from the makers. I'm not on the lookout for them. I don't pick up any knives from dealers, purveyors, or on the various for sale forums or ebay. That being said, if a Bob Engnath knife that I liked became available, I would probably go for it.

Back