What are you on the lookout for?

Got a few knives on order that should come in staggered over the next couple of years so I am rarely on the lookout for something in particular. I mainly browse the shows and websites to see if something catches my eye.

I do look more often for some makers including (but certainly not limited to):
Dietmar Kressler
Willie Rigney
Anders Hogstrom
even though I usually mainly drool when I see one of those as they are rather high on the $$$ list. Anders work seems to really have gone up in the last few months. Maybe its the exchange rate.

There is really only one maker I have been actively on the lookout for and that is John Young. I have an order placed with him also, but it is just mighty difficult to wait another 4 years for one of those fighters. So I sometimes look around if I can find one. Yeah right, keep dreaming.

I did just come across a nice Rietveld Talon. I really like that knife and was very happy to see one available.

I'm not interested so much in a specific knife-maker in particular, as I am in a specific knife. My dad was a blade-appraiser for auctions and I've been around good steel and antique steel my whole life, so I'm aware that there's a ton of excellent stuff out there, but what's confusing to me is trying to locate a reputable dealer in really exotic and really useful knives, with an emphasis on modern and high-tech. Kukiris and unusual looking, but utilitarian blades are my favorites. I've been to Himalayan Imports and they have very nice products, several of which I have my eye on, but as nice as they are, for the most part they're not quite what I want. I know how to collect knifes and how to separate wheat from chaff, but I'm dealing with a special case. The situation is that my wife's step-brother is going into the army and him and I are close. I'd like to give him a knife as a going away present, but not just any knife. What I'm looking for is either a khukiri or an equally impressive weapon/tool design that will function well in the worst kinds of conditions, but at the same time be an ode to technology, if you take my meaning. I would prefer nothing that was developed specifically for the US military, as he'll have access to all of that. As it stands, I'm leaning towards one of Himalayan's bowies, custom ordered, or just a standard kukiri from them, possibly complimented by a macheti, but I'm not convinced this is quite what I'm looking for. Anyone care to offer recommendations?

There is a special appeal to obtaining the knife directy from a maker. Currently have knives on order from Arpad Bojtos. Others that I would like to order from, or obtain, are Wofgang Loerchner(anything but a desk dagger), Jurgen Steinau (credit card), Bertie Rietveld (dagger) and Ricardo Velarde(full integral).

For a knife that I could actually use I'd like a small subhilt knife from Mike Lovett or John Young.

to Thor I Am: that talon on bud's web page is verrrrry nice!

Sorry I missed this thread when it was first up. Stuff I'm particularly watching for at the moment...

Greg Lightfoot FCF
Shane Sibert
Koji Hara or Stan Fujisaka folders in the right price range
Hinderer flippers
Kirby Lambert
Mike Obenauf
Crawford Quick Draw or Recon models

Thanks for the Talon compliment, Peter.

I received it a few days ago and its really awesome. I have really liked the ones on Bertie's website, but I like this one even more. The caramel mammoth ivory does it.

I contacted Wofgang Loerchner a few months ago looking to order something, but he isn't taking orders right now. His work is spectacular.

I've decided that I can't afford to go after customs that I can use, so I am still in the realm of productions. However, makers that are on my want list are

Bob Dozier (model 9)
Bud Nealy (Cave Bear)
Graham Knives (looking for a spear point Razel)

I'm looking at other makers, really like a lot of Greg Lightfoots stuff.

Back