What are you reading?

Finished "Gone Tomorrow"....wasn't bad...wasn't great either.

Started "The Lost City of Z"....got bored with it. :p

Started "Relentless" by Dean Koontz....the first HALF of the book was very slow and contrived....but now in the 2nd half it's getting a little better.

Oops....I haven't made my disclaimer....I do my "reading" via audiobook. I can usually finish a "standard" sized book in 2-3 days...averaging 4-6 hours per day.

A while back...I read Atlas Shrugged. Holy Crap! That took well over a month and I was dreaming the stuff at night!!

Anyway....if a book gets too tedious...or moves too slow...it affects my work. I need lil' bursts of action now and then.

That's what the "Gone Tomorrow" book was supposed to be....Usually Lee Child starts off with a Bang and it's an action rollercoaster.

This time the action didn't come until about 2/3 the way through...and then....well, I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it. Anyway, it wasn't the typical Reacher stuff.

Well...my week is done...and I am DOG-TIRED!!!!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

:D

Dan

Currently reading Misquoting Jesus by Bart D. Ehrman, chair of the department of religious studies at University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. It's an introduction to the field of textual criticisim. Fun stuff.

Not sure which is next, In God's Name by David Yallop which is back in print now, or The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein.

Last edited:
I rarely read anymore... I mostly listen to my books on CD. I am lucky to be faculty and have a dozen librarians on hand to get my ILL's books for me. ;)

I am listening to "Against Medical Advice" - about a kid with Tourrett's, OCD, and Anxiety.

I am reading Mors Kochanski's "Bushcraft" though.

I just finished "God's Problem" by Bart Erdman - about the problem of evil in bible.

TF

Reading Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion" and Vince Flynn's "Separation of Power: A Mitch Rapp Novel".

The latter book is a good yarn so far. The former is very interesting but slow going.

I have just started the Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy. If you haven't read anything by him it's a good place to start. The trilogy is: All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing and Cities of The Plains. He also wrote No Country for Old Men and The Road. He has become one of my favorite authors y'all should give him a read.

[lewis& clark expedition] buy stephen ambrose,][thus spake zarathustra] by nietzsche &[ lost pony tracks by] ross santee.cannot tell you how great stephen hunter is ,read all his fiction.like hunter? read james lee burke. as with hunter you are launched from the i'st sentence

Try anything from JAMES LEE BURKE, I haven,t found any of his that i didn,t like.

I'll give him a try, FOG. :thumbup:

Dan

Just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. As a soon-to-be father I have to say that this book scared the s___ out of me!

Just started "Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay. I haven't read that much of it, but so far I have to say it's pretty good.

Lost Nation by Jeffrey Lent. Set in the wild country high in New Hampshire in the late 1830's. Great story of hardship/survival and human relations.

Jeff

I am currently reading change your thoughts, change your life by Wayne Dyer. Its about the Tao Te Ching it has had a profound effect on me really opened my eyes to how I view this world and interact with others.

Thought I'd throw this into this discussion as this book helped me accept a lot of things in life I struggled with. May it bring you the peace it has brung me if you read it.

I'm reading the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. I'm about to finish book 1, The Sword of Shannara. So far I really like it. It is epic high fantasy like LOTR. I'm also reading Glenn Beck's Common Sense.

I am patiently awaiting George R. R. Martin's 5th book in his 'Song of Ice and Fire' series. If you like fantasy/dark fantasy, I HIGHLY recommend this series. It is the best stuff I have ever read...and everyone I have turned on to it agrees. :)

Battle Space by Ian Douglas. If you like scifi with aliens, black holes and the Marines, you'll like his stuff.

Andy

To the OP, excellent book. I am a big fan of Wodehouse, as you can tell from the bastardization of my last name on here. It's way cool to run into another P.G. Wodehouse fan. Anyway, right now i am reading The Tenth collection of the Fables comic book series, Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher, and a Doctor Who novel.

Just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. As a soon-to-be father I have to say that this book scared the s___ out of me!

Just started "Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay. I haven't read that much of it, but so far I have to say it's pretty good.

On "The Road" talk about dark and morose, but it did get me thinking a little more about making a better BOB, and switching a little bit of my inventory from guns to blades. Blades never run out of ammo...

Right now I'm on the last chapter of Cache Lake Country by John C. Rowlands. It is at once informative, entertaining, nostalgic, at times beautifully written to the point of re-reading paragraphs just to drink it in twice. It is chock full of illustrations and diagrams drawn by one of his "neighbors" during his time in the North Woods. There are certain books that I read several times and this one has joined their ranks.

The Road seems to be pretty popular...

I read it, and I read No Country for Old Men, but can't really get into McCarthy's writing style. The movie looks good, but perhaps a little dark.

I just bought Starship Troopers to compliment one of my favorite Sci-Fi books, The Forever War.

Oh, and I just read "Hippos go Berserk" to my 1 year old niece. Fantastic piece of fiction!

Finished To Ride,Shoot Straight,and Speak the Truth by Jeff Cooper..Pretty good book. On the hunt for my next read :)

I finished "Relentless" - turned out better than expected.

Also finished "Naked Empire" by Terry Goodkind, and have started "Chainfire" (about halfway done).

I have a "To Read" list a mile long...thankfully, I can get about 4-6 hrs done via audiobook when I'm in the shop. :thumbup:

Anybody have any Fantasy-Action series they recommend?

Back