What are you reading?

Finished reading "Last of the Breed", by Louis Lamoure... for about the sixth time. I love that book. Someone just lent me "Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival."

1901 by Robert Conroy- What if Germany had invaded the US in 1901.

The Earth Abides by George Stewart- Disease wipes out most of the worlds population.

Anybody have any Fantasy-Action series they recommend?

If you haven't yet, the classic Hobbit and following Trilogy. The Sword trilogy by Terry Brooks I remember being good, but that was a long time ago.

If you're into horror sci-fi espionage, Brian Lumley's Necroscope series is a fun read.

If you're into the post-apocalyptic SF sub-genre:
Earth Abides - George Stewart
On the Beach - Nevil Shute
Alas, Babylon - Pat Frank
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
The Stand and Dark Tower Series - Stephen King
Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven

Other Stuff by John Langan, Dale Bailey, Octavia Butler, George Martin, Jonathan Lethem...

:thumbup:

ETA: I'm just about to start Guns, Germs, and Steel...it's been sitting on my shelf for a while now...haven't had much pleasure reading time.

Last edited:
David Nivens auto-bio
"The Moon is a Balloon"
i only read non-fiction
here are afew i'm working on

"Stinking Creek"

"the Friendly Arctic" by,Stefansson

"The Solar Greenhouse Book" by, McCullagh

"Land Drainage and Reclamation" by, Ayres & Scoates

"Einstein, The Life and Times" by,R.W.Clark

"Ecology" Odum

"Our Precariuos Habitat"by, Benarde

magazines :
Erosion Control
Water Efficiency
Stormwater
Roads&Bridges

also perusing the DOT Maps of

North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia

buzz

i only read non-fiction

Buzz - you're missing out man. I'm as much a fan of non - fiction as the next guy but there is some fantastic fiction literature out there. My all time favorite so far is Hemmingway's "The Old Man and the Sea." :)

Just finished Monster of God by David Quammen because I read his book "the Song of the Dodo," both were very good, but Song of the Dodo was a little more interesting for me.

Now I'm about 1/3rd of the way through Moby Dick - it's proving to be very good.

After, I plan to read Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, seeing as me and my fiance just saw the author give a talk, and his other book Villians of all Nations - Atlantic Pirates in the Golden Age, was really excellent.

Last edited:
If you haven't read "The Name Of The Wind" I highly recommend that for a fantasy novel and "The Starship and The Canoe" for non-fiction.

I am now reading The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle. Love Sherlock Holmes.
Fantasy-Action? hmmm...I'm not sure if this counts as that(not sure it doesn't either, mind) but The Nightside Series by Simon R. Green is excellent. The first three in that ongoing series is below.
Something from the Nightside
Agents of Light and Darkness
Nightingale's Lament

If by Fantasy you mean swords etc.. then if you have not read The Fafhrd and Gray Mouser books by Fritz Leiber then you have a HUGE treat in store. They are largely short stories and Novellas collected into books. The first three collections(out of seven) would most likely be found under the following titles.
Swords and Deviltry
Swords Against Death
Swords in the Mist

These are among my all time favorite books of any genre, style, content or whatever criteria you can come up with. I love them.

Buzz - you're missing out man. I'm as much a fan of non - fs Hemmingway's "The Old Man and the Sea." :)

Now I'm about 1/3rd of the way through Moby Dick - it's proving to be very good.

been 'ner

read most of Hemingway's stuff years ago. plus three or four Hemingway bio's
Papa etc;
all of Vonneguts great books, "Player Piano" ++++++
the Trilogy, Asimov

now we come to
"Moby Dick" i started that book at least three times in the last thirty years.

your a better man than I:D
all good
buzz

"The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler.
"Pillars of The Earth" was a good one–read it a few years back.

Great suggestions...:thumbup:

Glad to see so many readers, too!

I don't know what it is....but I find the pure SF harder to listen to while working...it seems to drag on for very long times.

Re: Tolkein
I did read the full series...and then went back and did the audio. Very entertaining, but quite tedious at times. All the "hailing of titles" and such...:p

Dan

Ah, but did you read the Silmarillion?

Haven't done that one myself yet, it's on the list :thumbup:.

Just about to reread the whole Tolkein series myself, it's been many years since I've read it.

Let us know what you choose next Dan! :)

been 'ner

read most of Hemingway's stuff years ago. plus three or four Hemingway bio's
Papa etc;
all of Vonneguts great books, "Player Piano" ++++++
the Trilogy, Asimov

now we come to
"Moby Dick" i started that book at least three times in the last thirty years.

your a better man than I:D
all good
buzz

:D
I heard most of Hemingway's books really deal with very similar themes, which makes the books themselves kind of similar. My fiance just got me Death in the Afternoon, so I guess I'm gona find out :)

I read The Slaughterhose Five and I found it incredibly akward and disjointed and it put me off Vonnegut completely. I got the message of the book, and what he was trying to do, it was just confused in a mishmash of 'time travel' and 'aliens.'

Moby Dick has proved to be quite good so far :) although his style of writing also takes some getting used to...lots of tangents that delve into various different themes, and thoughts. It's a book that once I'm finished, I might read again in 6 months time so I catch some of what I have missed...

Oh, another good book that I just read was a Sand County Almanac, not sure why it took me so long to read such a classic :eek:

ETA: I'm just about to start Guns, Germs, and Steel...it's been sitting on my shelf for a while now...haven't had much pleasure reading time.

Diamond is a total sensationalist, has been for a while. He used to be credible, I believe he started loosing his credibility about the time he got into a very long peeing match with some other scientists in a periodical (I believe it was Nat. Geographic) - name calling and everything, which is unusual for scientists, but generated sales - he took a staunch stance on an ecological issue that divided the community... After that he started writing for the NY times, etc. people found that he was fudging numbers on one of his studies, but he was making money by taking a sensationalist stance...

He has some good points in Guns Germs and Steel, but the fact that he takes such a one sided argument, there are probably other factors going on that effected things at the same time :)
I have met historians too that mentioned that some of his timings may be a little off too, like when and how people arrived on the continent, there are conflicting opinions, at least.

I've heard such things c00per, and will definitely be keeping them in mind, thanks :thumbup:.

Back