What are you watching & why? (splain)

hm, don't remember. I think that's on the dvd. Mainly watch it for the soundtrack, in fact, if all I get is the soundtrack I know exactly what's happening and don't even need to watch it

hm, don't remember. I think that's on the dvd. Mainly watch it for the soundtrack, in fact, if all I get is the soundtrack I know exactly what's happening and don't even need to watch it
Lol! That’s perfect! I feel the same way. Grew up watching a VHS version, and there were some strange music transitions that I always wondered about. More recently I was watching it in the shop with my headset and I was really surprised to see a lengthier version of the snake pleasure palace. Probably not deemed appropriate for standard home video in the day. The musical transitions were finally explained.

We’ve been working on season two of Wheel of Time. It’s fun! I tried reading the first book after we finished the first season but I couldn’t get into it, so I’m fine with the show. Some of the sets and scenery are so elaborate I can’t tell if I’m looking at a digital creation and/or a real physical place. Good production values.

The wife wanted to watch Cowboys and Aliens last night. We saw it like a decade ago but couldn’t remember the premise. It’s not great. If I had to point fingers I suppose I’d say it was the plot, and I also found Harrison Ford extremely unconvincing in that particular role.

The wife wanted to watch Cowboys and Aliens last night. We saw it like a decade ago but couldn’t remember the premise. It’s not great. If I had to point fingers I suppose I’d say it was the plot, and I also found Harrison Ford extremely unconvincing in that particular role.
I watched that with my wife a few nights ago, too. It's one that you just have to sit back, watch and try to forget your day.

Yup! She calls it “brain bleach” when she just wants to zone-out with dumb stuff. She often puts Ancient Aliens on late at night, and it always puts me to sleep, but it is entertaining watching them rehash mysteries that were solved decades ago.

Watched Mr Holmes. Ian McKellen stars. Was actually a great film. I’d recommend it. Sherlock Holmes in his twilight years, recalling with difficulty his last case that still haunts him. His housekeepers young son helps him remember, and helps with his beekeeping, his main hobby in retirement. The plot unfolds slowly, and meanders a bit. It’s just relaxing and charming, carried by a great actor.

Just started Northern Exposure. Pretty dumb so far but I’m enjoying it. Roslyn has always been a favorite town of mine. We used to do a lot of backpacking/camping trips around that area in my youth. It’s gorgeous. The wife and I stayed there a few days last summer just for fun. There’s nothing there really, it’s just charming. Great place to slow down.

I watched The Beekeeper and it was pretty good. I like Jason Statham and this was a solid B.

The action scenes are over done and a little silly, but he has such a great dead pan delivery.

If you hate telemarketing fraudsters then this movie will be cathartic. Also some veiled comments and plot points about the President and her son (in the movie) are strikingly similar to real life.

Almost missed it but I watched the 1st 2 episodes of the new mini-series based on James Clavell's book, "Shogun" last night on the FX channel on Comcast.

This is a remake of a mini series that aired back in 1980, which I watched way back then, and based on what I can recall, the new series seems much better than the prior one, as it should be.

Just looked and there are 5 DVD sets of the old series for sale on EB. The asking prices are pretty ridiculous but I forgot that Toshiro Mifune was in it, which is reason enough for me to buy it.

Contrary to the prior series, a lot of the dialog in the current series is spoken in Japanese (which is a good thing) and, so far, the white guy isn't being made out to be such a "hero."

An overview of the series also gives a very good historical background the story and the role that Europeans (their religions & politics) played in fomenting conflict in Japan at that time.

So, I'm looking forward to continuing to watch the rest of this series.

793d16a6f26d2864.png

Almost missed it but I watched the 1st 2 episodes of the new mini-series based on James Clavell's book, "Shogun" last night on the FX channel on Comcast.

This is a remake of a mini series that aired back in 1980, which I watched way back then, and based on what I can recall, the new series seems much better than the prior one, as it should be.

Just looked and there are 5 DVD sets of the old series for sale on EB. The asking prices are pretty ridiculous but I forgot that Toshiro Mifune was in it, which is reason enough for me to buy it.

Contrary to the prior series, a lot of the dialog in the current series is spoken in Japanese (which is a good thing) and, so far, the white guy isn't being made out to be such a "hero."

An overview of the series also gives a very good historical background the story and the role that Europeans (their religions & politics) played in fomenting conflict in Japan at that time.

So, I'm looking forward to continuing to watch the rest of this series.

793d16a6f26d2864.png

I'm gonna check that out when I have time. :thumbsup:

Watched the first episode of the new Shogun last night. Maybe I was just burnt out from putting out fires on the forum, but I wasn't wowed at all.
Maybe will try episode 2 this evening if time permits.

Back