What are you watching & why? (splain)

I watched the new Aquaman movie last night. It was... really dumb but still entertaining in some ways. I got the impression that Jason Mamoa simply was playing himself with added special effects. Hell, he didn't even have to change from his everyday wardrobe for the movie.

My daughter loved it though. Which is all that matters.

I watched the Prime series Mr. & Mrs. Smith and despite thinking it was gonna be total crap, I really enjoyed it.

Great story, very good acting, dark and funny. Donald Glover does a great job as Mr. Smith.

Good action, great scenery and cinematography and good character development. I give this a solid 9.0.

I started rewatching Deadwood for the third or fourth time One of my favorite shows if not the favorite.. I also started watching the new Shogun miniseries. I'm two episodes in and I'm a fan.
I'm also enjoying it so far. Really like the attention to detail in the postures, movement and costumes. Some really good fight choreography also.

Also watching Shogun. Never read the book or saw the previous miniseries. We're enjoying it well enough, but what I don't get is why this "barbarian" is considered so important to warrant assassination attempts and the high body count?

Going to watch the Gator Nationals, first NHRA Race of the year since the schedule was changed, from Gainesville, FL…about the only way I’ll see them now since they sold our World Class facility and shut it down, never missed a National Event…all 39 of them. 😢

Also watching Shogun. Never read the book or saw the previous miniseries. We're enjoying it well enough, but what I don't get is why this "barbarian" is considered so important to warrant assassination attempts and the high body count?
Because he knows about the corruption taking place at the port manned by mercenaries and hiding money/treasures for the church. They are trying to Clinton him.

Your lucky day on Netflix

Me and the wife just finished it and enjoyed it

Lots of twists and turns... a well off asshole walks into a carry out with a 156 million dollar winning ticket.... the people in the carry out have multiple different needs for money

Last edited:
I watched the new Aquaman movie last night. It was... really dumb but still entertaining in some ways. I got the impression that Jason Mamoa simply was playing himself with added special effects. Hell, he didn't even have to change from his everyday wardrobe for the movie.

My daughter loved it though. Which is all that matters.

Yup! Watched Aquaman:Lost Kingdom while I worked yesterday. It’s just bad. I thought the first one was equally awful. The pacing and plot just meandered so much in both of them. I desperately wanted that entire franchise to feel more impressive and mysterious. I think in the back of my mind I wanted it to feel like I was re-reading the Book of Atrus/D’ni/Ti’ana from my youth. The music was also a huge miss and very forgettable. Some films go the extra mile to write epic scores that feel “big” and I felt like this whole franchise was just a lost opportunity. Like you said, Jason Manoa did well for his part-solid casting choice-but the conceptual art, CGI, plot, pacing, and musical score were just terrible.

Finished season one of The Last of Us. Not usually my favorite genre but I really enjoyed it. I liked that they broke up the season with a few individual episodes that told their own stories about people other than the main characters. Excited for season two.

Finished season two of The Wheel of Time. Lighthearted fantasy. Fun and predictable.

We sat down to watch Wonka the other day but the wife couldn’t do it. She didn’t grow up on old films. I have no problem with musicals. I ended up watching it out in the shop the following day. Fun film! Really reminded me of Boxtrolls. Like Boxtrolls, it’s set in a fictional kingdom vaguely reminiscent of Switzerland, the good guys use sewers to move around and thwart the efforts of bumbling villains who control the city’s highest levels of government, and they both hinge upon the finding of a lost heir. Both fun films.

Probably should have introduced the wife to The Three Musketeers starring The Ritz Brothers first, then she might have been willing to try Wonka. 🤣

Re-watching The Borgias now. Fantastic historical fiction with Jeremy Irons in the starring role as Pope Alexander VI. I think there are three seasons, but we didn’t quite manage to finish it the first time around. Could be that it just wasn’t finished at that time. I don’t remember when we watched it exactly.

I took my kids out to watch Dune 2 last night. I loved every bit of it except for the cheesy knives. I understand the look of a crysknife so I had no issues with the Fremen's blades but the blades that Feyd used were terrible. A big oversight from the props department, for sure.

Regardless, a big fan of both the new Dune films.

Back