What are you watching & why? (splain)

Just watched the remake of "Road House". I really wanted to like it, but the movie was bad...really bad....characters, story/plot....all of it.

It's not like the original was a cinematic masterpiece, but compared to this garbage it was oscar worthy.

Connor McGregor was so terrible he dragged it down even further; it was painful watching his idiotic acting. The movie was a steaming pile of dog shit and McGregor was the squirming parasitic worms that made it revolting.

I'm actually shocked by how much I hated it. I wish I could get those 2 hours of my life back.

Just watched the remake of "Road House". I really wanted to like it, but the movie was bad...really bad....characters, story/plot....all of it.

It's not like the original was a cinematic masterpiece, but compared to this garbage it was oscar worthy.

Connor McGregor was so terrible he dragged it down even further; it was painful watching his idiotic acting. The movie was a steaming pile of dog shit and McGregor was the squirming parasitic worms that made it revolting.

I'm actually shocked by how much I hated it. I wish I could get those 2 hours of my life back.
best movie review of all time.

I finished up Masters of the Air this last week. What a superb series! I enjoyed every minute of it and am looking forward to watching it again.

Some of the highlights that I felt were particularly compelling:
- The stunningly low survival rates of pilots and crews of the "forts".
- The uncertainty of families and friends with regards to casualties.
- There is never not a need to remind us of the sheer horrors the Nazis subjected humans to.
- I enjoyed the epilogue, showing us how the lives of some of the survivors depicted in the series ended up after the war.

I also finally got around to watching Oppenheimer. It is deservedly well hyped. It left me thinking about the film for well over a week. I am a Cillian Murphy fan but I would have to say that was his best work and everyone else was absolutely superb as well.

This is an episode from 1992, part of a TV show starring Ben Stiller and others you will recognize. Some very good and some just better than average skits. Back when Andy Dick was a pleasure to watch and even Dennis Miller was fun. Hehe, the Manson sketch and Sarah Bernhardt ones are a kick.

Last edited:
This is an episode from 1992, part of a TV show starring Ben Stiller and others you will recognize. Some very good and some just better than average skits. Back when Andy Dick was a pleasure to watch and even Dennis Miller was fun. Hehe, the Manson sketch and Sarah Bernhardt ones are a kick.

I remember the Tony Robbins skit from this show. Memory lane!

Started watching "Fallout" in Amazon prime. Pretty good so far

I saw that was available last night when I was watching a film with my wife. I'm looking forward to checking it out. I like Walton Goggins so there is already an upside.

Speaking of what we watched last night - The Holdovers. It's one of those types of films that I feel is rather brilliantly done but it's a bit outside of my usual fare so some of said brilliance might be lost on me. Paul Giamatti is stellar as always, and the rest of the cast, especially Da'vine, are pure excellence. If I think about it more, the brilliance is in the subtleties of the character studies and the depth of the dialogue.

I saw that was available last night when I was watching a film with my wife. I'm looking forward to checking it out. I like Walton Goggins so there is already an upside.

Speaking of what we watched last night - The Holdovers. It's one of those types of films that I feel is rather brilliantly done but it's a bit outside of my usual fare so some of said brilliance might be lost on me. Paul Giamatti is stellar as always, and the rest of the cast, especially Da'vine, are pure excellence. If I think about it more, the brilliance is in the subtleties of the character studies and the depth of the dialogue.

I'm a Walter Goggins fan as well. He's good in the role.

I have the holdovers on my watch list. Looked good.

Couple of movies from my Thursday movie night:

Napoleon - I was... not impressed. Which is a real bummer since this seemed like a great opportunity to give Napoleon, his pros and cons, etc. a proper cinematic treatment. Instead, it was disjointed, seemed to lack good cohesive direction, and I was left somewhat bored by the end.

- Had they focused on the letters between Napoleon and Josephine, that would have been a good story-telling mechanism.
- Had they focused strictly on his military campaigns, that would have been cathartic and entertaining.
- Had they focused on the politics and intrigues surrounding his governance, including the various social programs and such that he implemented, that would have been thought provoking.

Instead, we got a weird mish-mash of the three things and everything just squeezed together in a relatively short film and by the end, I was left wanting. Can't really recommend. I think it would have been better as a mini-series.

Second movie was Damsel. My daughter loves this movie which is all that matters. I wasn't shocked and awed, it wasn't anything too original, but I was entertained for the most part. Shohreh Aghdashloo voicing the dragon was awesome - I love her voice.

Back