What Becker to start with?

Have been into knives my entire life and have a lot of them but not any Beckers; was checking out the subforums and all of you sound so enthusiastic about the Beckers that I thought I might try one; was just on the KaBar site and the Becker Necker looks interesting; is it a good one to start with? Now I carry folders for the most part but do go hunting; after a long layoff I started elk hunting again but day to day I carry folders, have a BM Dejavoo in my pocket right now. Recommend away, please.

BK2 and BK9 you will be ready for anything.but if just one start with BK2 its a beast!

Unfortunately, I don't have quite the collection of Beckers as some of the folks around here. I do, however, own a BK11 and could offer nothing shy of a glowing review of the knife. I simply can't imagine getting more knife for the dollar and it is one that I feel just as comfortable taking into the out of doors as I do into town. My only real complaint was that it came to me with a bit of an uneven secondary bevel (edge)... a problem which will work itself out over time as I sharpen.

Based on my experiences thus far with this knife, it's only a matter of time (and money) before I pick up both a BK2 and either a BK7 or BK9. I am tempted to wait until they are offered in Micarta, though... truth be told.

I pondered this very question not long ago, and did some research into what I considered the best knife for that job. The consideration was; if I could have only one blade in a survival situation, what would it be? We all have different thoughts on the matter, of course, but for me I decided on the Becker BK2 Campanion. Here's why:

Blade length of a little over 5 inches, one quarter of an inch thick. This is a really stout blade that is heavy and sturdy enough for chopping and batonning, yet is short enough for other camp chores like making fuzz sticks, skinning game, and preparing food. It may not be the ideal size blade for any of those tasks, but it does all of them well enough.

Steel is 1095 CorVan. It may not be the perfect steel -- INFI is certainly tougher and more stain resistant -- but it's a very good steel that holds an edge well and is easy to sharpen.

The handles are the most comfortable of any I've ever held. Remember that this knife would be in your hand for much of the day performing all the tasks you require, from shelter making to food prep: handles are important. Also, in another month or so, Micarta scales will be available. The scales on the BK2 are simply changed with a hex wrench.

The sheath is very good. Not the best that it could be, but very good.

So for around $60 you can have a virtually indestructible survival knife shipped to your door that will meet all of my criteria for a one-knife survival scenario.

Those are my considered thoughts. I simply can't spend several hundred dollars on a knife for this scenario when a BK2 will fill the bill as well (for me).

* I actually posted this in another thread yesterday, but it fits here, too.

at present, you could buy ALL the Beckers that KaBar makes, less say, the TacTool, and have a wildly useful collection, for short money, especially compared to some other knives, use them and/or beat the snot out of them, keep your favorites (assuming you didn't like them ALL), and easily sell them :)

it's really not that hard a decision ;)

or put another way: buy the necker, and then buy the longer companion blade for it. choose your length/stoutness needs. then buy the others :>

Bladite

BK2 then Necker. Then in a week or two you'll find yourself ordering the BK9 too. :)

Have been into knives my entire life and have a lot of them but not any Beckers; was checking out the subforums and all of you sound so enthusiastic about the Beckers that I thought I might try one; was just on the KaBar site and the Becker Necker looks interesting; is it a good one to start with? Now I carry folders for the most part but do go hunting; after a long layoff I started elk hunting again but day to day I carry folders, have a BM Dejavoo in my pocket right now. Recommend away, please.

I recently purchased the KA-Bar Becker BK11, BK2, BK7 with free BK13, BK9 with free BK13.

The BK2 is my favorite and the most impressive to me. The blade is thick and appears indestructible. If I were in a tight spot (survival) this is the Becker knife I would want with me. Next in line is the BK7 with the free BK13 for me.

To me, the two most practical Beckers are the BK11 and BK2. The 11 is great for all the small jobs and the BK2 is easily carried and capable of performing most any chore.
3415751967_05eacd0f08.jpg

The BK7 was my first Becker, the BK2 is a good solid choice also. The BK11 is a great knife, however its only a little brother the the rest of the line.

Tom
Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop
www.ridgeknifeshop.com

Ethan really needs to bring back the BK10.

I don't have my BK2 yet, so I may change my mind, but I think the BK10 was the best "all around" model. If the BK10 was in production, I am sure you would see a lot of votes for that one on this thread.

When the new Becker's came out I bought the BK11 first. It's a great little knife.

Wow Jake, that is quite an endorsement! I can't wait to handle the BK2 after the things posted in this thread!

Jake's right: the BK2 is worthy of that kind of endorsement. I think that, for most of us, it's not what we expect: it's even better.

I third that! BK2 is worthy! the BK10 takes a back seat. the 10 is a great blade.But i'ts not the Train Wrecker!

Back