What did you rehang today?

Here is a plumb boys axe I put together. The handle is a 32" house handle which works well for me being 6'4".
https://flic.kr/p/2eDjF6b
https://flic.kr/p/2eHVPL2
2eHVPL2

2eDjF6b

Red is traced where you're at, blue is where a flat ~20° is. It's your photo I just altered it a bit so I could more easily see the outline. Hope it helps.

20190214_081605-432x888.jpg

Last edited:
I like the shape you put on the swell of the straight handle - something to stop your fingers up front and relaxed on the back to try to avoid a hot spot :thumbsup:
Thanks, I spent quite a bit of time working the swell to fit my hand and be comfortable swinging for a long time. I wanted this axe to be sort of a template for future handles so I have something to go off of.
Some good photos. Nice ax. Do you think the poll is heat treated? DM
Hard to say. When I got the head it was in very good condition and the poll had basically no wear. Not sure if that is because it wasn't used much or because it is hardened. I've only ever struck the poll with a wooden mallet, but I don't see any obvious forging line.

I broke the handle on this Council during fire season, wedging this tree. I've got lots of similar fallers axes, so I grabbed another one and put it on the bench.

cwOpFi6.jpg

hRZj7ci.jpg

Put a new stick on it today, 28". As well as retouched the edge and Cleaned up the poll.

That's my kind of fitting. After seeing how it fit here, I just drove it on there tight, never touched a rasp to it.
u2BjzYC.jpg

8SALQIx.jpg

That's going to hold!
URPv1Di.jpg

N2GKvsi.jpg

Thinned the handle some
gSPNhDf.jpg

pbx95lZ.jpg

Put a new pin in, cleaned up the poll, reset the bevel a little, and a couple coats of danish oil.
4opxkaA.jpg

wAh4muV.jpg

7po8pm7.jpg

Ready to go again.

I broke the handle on this Council during fire season, wedging this tree. I've got lots of similar fallers axes, so I grabbed another one and put it on the bench.

cwOpFi6.jpg

hRZj7ci.jpg

Put a new stick on it today, 28". As well as retouched the edge and Cleaned up the poll.

That's my kind of fitting. After seeing how it fit here, I just drove it on there tight, never touched a rasp to it.
u2BjzYC.jpg

8SALQIx.jpg

That's going to hold!
URPv1Di.jpg

N2GKvsi.jpg

Thinned the handle some
gSPNhDf.jpg

pbx95lZ.jpg

Put a new pin in, cleaned up the poll, reset the bevel a little, and a couple coats of danish oil.
4opxkaA.jpg

wAh4muV.jpg

7po8pm7.jpg

Ready to go again.

Looks great and good to go.

Back