What did you rehang today?

Muleman-I like the picture of your Stihl saw. My all time favorite was the Stihl 075 back in the 1970's. A Forest Service guy talked me into selling it to him. I still have a 056 super that I sometimes use. Hell, I'm too old to handle the 075 anyway!

Muleman-I like the picture of your Stihl saw. My all time favorite was the Stihl 075 back in the 1970's. A Forest Service guy talked me into selling it to him. I still have a 056 super that I sometimes use. Hell, I'm too old to handle the 075 anyway!

Thanks, I agree Stihls are great. That's a 461. I use a 660 a lot too, picture below. And have a bunch of others, all good saws.

llhOsRq.jpg

Heres something interesting. As of a few months back The USFS saw program has put a buying moratorium on new Stihls, parts and repairs are ok though.
The issue being Fuel geysering. Hope they get that worked out, and we can start to buy em again soon.

That's right, Humboldt. Much more of a thing here on the west coast than other parts of the country.
Besides the flat base, it's nice on steeper hills when your cuts as high as your head on one side, ground flush on the other.
I like how it llays the trees down better too. Seems to break less on the big ones, all else equal.
Also helps hold the tree from shoving back, as stump shot does.

Thi
That's right, Humboldt. Much more of a thing here on the west coast than other parts of the country.
Besides the flat base, it's nice on steeper hills when your cuts as high as your head on one side, ground flush on the other.
I like how it llays the trees down better too. Seems to break less on the big ones, all else equal.
Also helps hold the tree from shoving back, as stump shot does.
This is a conversation that reminds me that I'm still an absolute amateur. I love the tools and have educated myself. I can restore and maintain them and follow prior wisdom. But I'm still a rank amateur at best. Thank you guys.

These are my two most recent hangs. This was an ax I bought from an older Gentlemen from New Hampshire. The only marking I can find is 3 1/2. It has a great shape and great profile and shows it’s age. Are used a new old stock link handle and a nice hand carved walnut wedge. I have soaked it in boiled linseed oil since these pictures.

The next hang was a fro that I found at a sale at a cabinet shop. It is hand forged and has a wonderful profile. Are used a chunk of oak on my leave and turned the handle. Thanks for looking!

Brian Rust--The froe is a great, single purpose tool to use. I see your "wood is good" mallet. When they first started to sell them I bought one of every size and said "I will probably never use these". Well, now that I am older, and my hand surgeon told me that I used my hands up making a living, I use the "wood is good" mallets all the time.

I hung these awhile ago and forgot to post pics. A Plumb boys and a "Tohlep." Actually it's a Stohler that was on the bay labeled as a "Tohlep" for an absurd amount of money. I made a low ball offer the guy took, so yay.

The Plumb is on a Link haft that was worked and octagonalized. It also had a warp that needed fixin, but it's okay now. This will be gifted. It's a nice, elegant little axe.

The Stohler is interesting. The bit is an insert that goes all the way back to the eye. The forging is really impressive. Soft curves on the lugs lead into the eye, nice cheeks, and I love the long poll. The "r" in Stohler is really affected, I'm guessing it's early. The hang of an old Craftsman haft that came off something else. I took the belly and turned it around to effect a forward curve. Octagonalized, no not traditional in shape but I dig the look and feel, and it's only 3/16" proud ;) I haven't been able to bring myself to file it. It would make an most excellent hatchet in use, but it's in damn fine condition and more than a century old. It's a thing of beauty.

20190218_213652-1512x2016.jpg 20190218_215843-850x1511.jpg

Brian Rust--The froe is a great, single purpose tool to use. I see your "wood is good" mallet. When they first started to sell them I bought one of every size and said "I will probably never use these". Well, now that I am older, and my hand surgeon told me that I used my hands up making a living, I use the "wood is good" mallets all the time.

I'm headed there. There's no ligament holding my left thumb in its socket (metacarpal/trapezius joint) and I've been assured the pain will eventually get bad enough I'll need a "trapeze line" running from my index metacarpal to my thumb metacarpal to shore it up. I can't fathom how that would hold, I'm only 39, and hoping against hope they have a better solution by the time it's needed. For now I can still set a 330 with my hands, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't notice the pain in my left thumb on the regular.

I rehung this plumb boy's axe on its original haft since the haft loosened. Amazingly, the head was loose in use but the @#$* Perma-bond was @#$%^&* TIGHT! I ended up drilling relief holes all around the eye to break its bond on the head. Then I seated it, kerfed it, wedged it with a Brian Rust walnut wedge, and cut the wedge flush. The haft had so little wiggle room it was flush with no cutting required.
IMG-1547.jpg

IMG-2213.jpg

IMG-2216.jpg

IMG-2218.jpg

IMG-2220.jpg

IMG-2222.jpg

IMG-2224.jpg

They make a great mallet!! The energy transfers very well! Hate to hear that about your hands! 14 years of playing football have given me arthritis so I know the feeling!

I rehung this plumb boy's axe on its original haft since the haft loosened. Amazingly, the head was loose in use but the @#$* Perma-bond was @#$%^&* TIGHT! I ended up drilling relief holes all around the eye to break its bond on the head. Then I seated it, kerfed it, wedged it with a Brian Rust walnut wedge, and cut the wedge flush. The haft had so little wiggle room it was flush with no cutting required.
IMG-1547.jpg

IMG-2213.jpg

IMG-2216.jpg

IMG-2218.jpg

IMG-2220.jpg

IMG-2222.jpg

IMG-2224.jpg

Very nice!! Looks great man!

Reactions: A17
13 pics with this one guys. I have an old Snow&Neally #3-1/4 double bit with overlaid bits that I've been saving for this green ash trial. I have been drying out that green ash haft inside by the fire for over a month now.
WOW5vsc.jpg

It had been drying as a blank for a 18 months and stopped losing weight about a week ago so i knew it was ready. A few of the process;
3kOU1nx.jpg
sCd4eiH.jpg
rvs7tAa.jpg

That birch wedge is below flush 1-3/4". Driven home HARD! Here's some finished pics. I was losing light but I'll do some follow up pics once i stain and oil the haft.
2ZmW6f2.jpg
rw1AZn4.jpg
fxhCHs2.jpg
ic53K6r.jpg
AQ5e1s6.jpg
6kyy5oj.jpg
a7X5CjI.jpg
J9iWMEA.jpg
uhTg8CD.jpg

It takes quite awhile but it sure is worth the time and effort. Thanks for looking fellas! Have a great night!

13 pics with this one guys. I have an old Snow&Neally #3-1/4 double bit with overlaid bits that I've been saving for this green ash trial. I have been drying out that green ash haft inside by the fire for over a month now.
WOW5vsc.jpg

It had been drying as a blank for a 18 months and stopped losing weight about a week ago so i knew it was ready. A few of the process;
3kOU1nx.jpg
sCd4eiH.jpg
rvs7tAa.jpg

That birch wedge is below flush 1-3/4". Driven home HARD! Here's some finished pics. I was losing light but I'll do some follow up pics once i stain and oil the haft.
2ZmW6f2.jpg
rw1AZn4.jpg
fxhCHs2.jpg
ic53K6r.jpg
AQ5e1s6.jpg
6kyy5oj.jpg
a7X5CjI.jpg
J9iWMEA.jpg
uhTg8CD.jpg

It takes quite awhile but it sure is worth the time and effort. Thanks for looking fellas! Have a great night!
Super sweet. I have a hickory handle that I have been working on for 18 months so far. Started as a fresh round that I split up with a froe, turned into a rough blank with a drawknife and have been shaping with a rasp here and there. It is ready for me to finish it. I have a sweet boy's axe head set aside for it, they have been engaged for 1.5 years but still have not tied the knot.

I hung a no-name michigan pattern on a LaPierre Sawyer miners axe handle imitating M muleman77 's Council fellers. It was used as a wedge pounder by a currently retired logger in the past and will continue in that role. Although it's a "cheap" axe it retains an edge well while chopping fatwood roots/knots despite the fact a few small areas were blued while re-profiling the edge. Sorry 'bout the single pic but it was getting dark and I was freezing. Hopefully it will appear in the "Let's use those axes for what they're ment for" thread soon.
edit: More+better pics.
IMG-2249.jpg

IMG-2268.jpg

IMG-2270.jpg

Last edited:
Back