What did you rehang today?

On the other side of the room is a wooden liquor cabinet. In case of emergency...... :cool:
My Dad worked at a chemical plant that made high impact plastic. Cycolac to be exact. At one point in the process the Cycolac would come down a conveyor into a cooling bath, then up to the mill, (2 huge rollars than would thin it a tad more. Right there before the rollars was the mill operator. One of his jobs was to take a long handled razor type knife and actually cut the Cycolac to end a batch. Within reach was an electrical disconnect to kill the power in the event of an emergency. Like in the operators hand getting stuck in the mill. Right beside that, hung neatly on the wall was a double bit axe. Very sharp. Sharper than for wood. To be used if the electrical disconnect failed.
That was in the 60's.

No stamp but sweet cheeks and good steel
1 1/2lbs
13 3/4"
The head and handle came to me as a set, just needed a little attention.

20190228-105848.jpg

20190228-110009.jpg

20190228-105914.jpg

20190228-105657.jpg

:thumbsup:

Recently rehung this little BSA hatchet. It’s the original haft. The eye turned out a little funky. I wanted to reuse the screw wedge so I used two piece wedge and drove the srew between them. All and all it is super tight and won’t be going anywhere. I got to finish if off nice with the scabbard from JB! BSA button is a nice touch too! This is the second one I found in about a month. Seems like that’s how it happens you find one and then another one pops up. Thanks!

Recently rehung this little BSA hatchet. It’s the original haft. The eye turned out a little funky. I wanted to reuse the screw wedge so I used two piece wedge and drove the srew between them. All and all it is super tight and won’t be going anywhere. I got to finish if off nice with the scabbard from JB! BSA button is a nice touch too! This is the second one I found in about a month. Seems like that’s how it happens you find one and then another one pops up. Thanks!
Duude I thought the handle on mine had a different style swell than the original.. makes me wonder if they were knock off handles for scout axes

What do you mean?

Also, I chamfered the tongue of the handle because I thought I would set it lower on the shoulder but I liked the way it looked so I left it. That’s why it looks like a gap kinda around the eye but it’s not at all.

More of a needs to be rehung but A17 had a date with runout. Long story short, no injury to myself but the twin of my haft with the perfect grain orientation needs to be fetched. Just when I'd finished the haft to my liking and started to thin out the bit too.:(. Yes, those are grinder marks. It was getting dark and the bits are really hard. I made sure the edge never got hot, don't worry. Also included is a pic of it's last bites of wood....for now.
IMG-2400.jpg

IMG-2403.jpg

IMG-2405.jpg

Oh ya! I believe most of them had the knob swells. I found a beautiful axe at the flea market with a knob swell. It was massive but super thin everywhere else. Probably 100 years old. Had a no name Michigan on it and she wanted $45. I couldn’t bring myself to get it. I almost did though.

More of a needs to be rehung but A17 had a date with runout. Long story short, no injury to myself but the twin of my haft with the perfect grain orientation needs to be fetched. Just when I'd finished the haft to my liking and started to thin out the bit too.:(. Yes, those are grinder marks. It was getting dark and the bits are really hard. I made sure the edge never got hot, don't worry. Also included is a pic of it's last bites of wood....for now.
IMG-2400.jpg

IMG-2403.jpg

IMG-2405.jpg

Wow! That's ugly. Glad you weren't hurt. Now you know the reality of grain runout first hand.

IMG-2400.jpg

IMG-2403.jpg

IMG-2405.jpg

Yikes. That's some real runout!

And just when you were getting into the primo pitchwood too!

Be careful with those grinders.....but don't be afraid to use a machine if you know how to do it right. ;)

The pitchwood is safe and sound near my shop. It just so happened to be the only log nearby to test my axe on. As for the grinders, I wear goggles and check for overheating frequently. I've been getting practice using them precisely (using them roughly comes naturally) doing work like this. As I'm still learning, the finish grinding is being done by a more experienced user.
IMG-2329.jpg

IMG-2331.jpg

Wow! That's ugly. Glad you weren't hurt. Now you know the reality of grain runout first hand.
Yeah, my thought process went about like this, "Wow, I'm lucky I wasn't hurt. Darn it! Now I need a new handle! What made this one break?" I think I tested it too early and still had a large, thick micro bevel still on it so it bounced off rather than bite. By the 3rd bounce, the haft had enough stress placed on it that the runout area receiving the most stress finished popping apart and bye bye head!

20190228-191833.jpg

20190228-172048.jpg

The kerf was a mess inside the Woodings Verona double I removed. Plastic wedge that kept breaking in pieces and dry, brittle wood Hickory. There was some overstrike damage as well.
I decided to lower it down to better haft material, cut a new kerf and use it like I stole it.
Just file work on the bits...a dbl cut, a flat bastard, and a mill bastard.
This Kelly has hard steel.
Probably 2 hours of file work yesterday, to reprofile a chip and bring both bits to ready.
Thanks @Travbud1 for the trade, I am enjoying this axe.

20190228-191840.jpg

20190301-202742.jpg

20190301-202733.jpg

20190301-143659.jpg

20190302-141920.jpg

5 1/2lbs
33"
True Temper
Hand Made
Kelly Works

20190228-191833.jpg

20190228-172048.jpg

The kerf was a mess inside the Woodings Verona double I removed. Plastic wedge that kept breaking in pieces and dry, brittle wood Hickory. There was some overstrike damage as well.
I decided to lower it down to better haft material, cut a new kerf and use it like I stole it.
Just file work on the bits...a dbl cut, a flat bastard, and a mill bastard.
This Kelly has hard steel.
Probably 2 hours of file work yesterday, to reprofile a chip and bring both bits to ready.
Thanks @Travbud1 for the trade, I am enjoying this axe.

20190228-191840.jpg

20190301-202742.jpg

20190301-202733.jpg

20190301-143659.jpg

20190302-141920.jpg

5 1/2lbs
33"
True Temper
Hand Made
Kelly Works

Wow!! I have looked for a handmade forever. Glad to see this one hung and ready for work! Great job!!

11 pics with this one. Not to toot my own horn but i think this is the nicest haft I've done yet. Toot toot. Where i started this morning;
Okfl6vB.jpg

A few of the process;
e4mjKeo.jpg
1jHn2D6.jpg

I still have to oil it and hone the axe but other than that here she is!
x7nSeiV.jpg
0aWJmYj.jpg
vnJtwcC.jpg
5db4bDC.jpg
zzA96rS.jpg
KFp9CvM.jpg

I'm always out of light but the time I'm finished so here's a couple on the living room floor.
Brr1kWz.jpg
OxdhGam.jpg

I'm very pleased with it! I'll throw up a pic or two tomorrow once I've totally finished it. Have a good one!

Back