What did you rehang today?

My Great Grandfathers Craftsman Hewing / Carpenters Hatchet, brought back to a usable life after many years.

The haft is an 18" House Handle, hand picked, no Finish and Octagoned that Chris House described as an Old School Broad hatchet handle that he had a limited amount of. Finish is two hand rubbed coats of Minwax Tung Oil Finish I had available.

Re-Handled 1.JPG Re-Handled 2.JPG Re-Handled showing Grain.JPG

Rehung a Mann hatchet head 1944. Very nice, had to grind down some of the mushrooming on the poll but that was about it. Cutting edge is 3.5", so a little wider than my other hatchets, weighs in at just under 1.5lbs. So far haven't added any steel wedges though I might. finish is just a waterbased stain with oil over the top.

Put it on the belt grinder to bring the edge back (I'd swear it has not been sharpened since it was first issued/left the factory) as it appears to have been used as a root chopper and hammer primarily. The original handle had four screws driven into it and a healthy layer of old duct tape as an overstrike protector. Saved what was left of it for making knife handles later.

Normally I would do all the rough work with a file, but this is (surprise) heat treated to a higher Rockell than my hardware store hatchets and machetes, the file was 80% skating and I didn't feel like that kind of a fight. Still need to finish it off by hand, it should just fit a Snow and Nealley hatchet sheath. Is going to make a great backpacking chopper.

KjNs1Fnm.jpg

CJ6xLTWm.jpg

ooC0Q0Gm.jpg

NoY6u7Mm.jpg

S3Bf53hm.jpg

Vyz7aNmm.jpg

VNdyDGPm.jpg

Ck3SK2am.jpg

Finally got around to re-hanging the Elwell I purchased from jblyttle.
ciMxAIU.jpg

The two positive things that stick out to me are that the eye has a serious taper in it. And the haft is premium hickory. Grade A for sure!
On the negative side it's quite thin and I know it'll be a sticky axe. Steel is of a fair harness and overall it's a good axe. Some yellow birch wedge curls;
H4imy21.jpg

And yes I had an errant blow from the mini sledge.... Crap happens what can I say!
oSkzBhB.jpg
egvpiOm.jpg

The usual pics;
ZhGi6uO.jpg
hhY8uc2.jpg
zECxw3m.jpg
WWRmGG6.jpg

About as perfect a haft as can be had. Grain alignment is spot on and 0 run out. I probably should've saved it for a different head but it's all good.
epJheb4.jpg

I wish I could somehow photograph the taper in this eye but I can't. They did a great job of it I can tell you that. Significantly wider and longer at the top. I'm very impressed with the amount of taper.
mjzFyqa.jpg

LSNM1gs.jpg

For an axe not made in the states and not all that old I am pleased with this. It's fairly light at 2-1/2lbs and being on a 27" stick it will be versatile. I used my "swell saver" tool to re- hang it so the fawns foot is still intact and finely tipped.
15720386176918062137028394888859.jpg
Thanks for checking it out and have a great night!
wfrsBE1.jpg

Finally got around to re-hanging the Elwell I purchased from jblyttle.
ciMxAIU.jpg

The two positive things that stick out to me are that the eye has a serious taper in it. And the haft is premium hickory. Grade A for sure!
On the negative side it's quite thin and I know it'll be a sticky axe. Steel is of a fair harness and overall it's a good axe. Some yellow birch wedge curls;
H4imy21.jpg

And yes I had an errant blow from the mini sledge.... Crap happens what can I say!
oSkzBhB.jpg
egvpiOm.jpg

The usual pics;
ZhGi6uO.jpg
hhY8uc2.jpg
zECxw3m.jpg
WWRmGG6.jpg

About as perfect a haft as can be had. Grain alignment is spot on and 0 run out. I probably should've saved it for a different head but it's all good.
epJheb4.jpg

I wish I could somehow photograph the taper in this eye but I can't. They did a great job of it I can tell you that. Significantly wider and longer at the top. I'm very impressed with the amount of taper.
mjzFyqa.jpg

LSNM1gs.jpg

For an axe not made in the states and not all that old I am pleased with this. It's fairly light at 2-1/2lbs and being on a 27" stick it will be versatile. I used my "swell saver" tool to re- hang it so the fawns foot is still intact and finely tipped.
View attachment 1219695
Thanks for checking it out and have a great night!
wfrsBE1.jpg
Maybe it was made for Canadian market
BookReaderImages.php

48970535656_dcf54d8094_m.jpg
48970708322_020dcbe478_m.jpg

Not an axe but had this old maul laying around for a long time. It was very rusted and mushroomed. It belonged to my grandfather. Forgot to take before pics. It is a Klein Logan anybody ever heard of them?
Welcome to forum.
Your Grandpa bought the right tool for the job.
Yes, we heard. Long history of quality tools. It was taken over by Woodings-Verona in 1960ies
https://archive.org/details/KleinLoganCatalog271944/page/n1
BookReaderImages.php

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/klein-logan-pick-mattock.1606545/

Welcome to forum.
Yes, we heard. Long history of quality tools. It was taken over by Woodings-Verona in 1960ies
BookReaderImages.php

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/klein-logan-pick-mattock.1606545/[/QUO
Welcome to forum.
BookReaderImages.php

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/klein-logan-pick-mattock.1606545/
Thanks crbnSteel! Very interesting.

Here's the Red Knight filed, honed and hung;
AJ7uESH.jpg

This haft was painted white I believe from a factory.
20191029_161838.jpg
I was pleasantly surprised to find white oak under there! My first white oak helve. It's closed cell and has long rays as opposed to the open cell and short rays of red oak. Here's a couple prior to final seating of the head;
20191029_170147.jpg 20191029_170152.jpg
Has very near 100% contact at the bottom of the eye and fairly decent contact up from the bottom. I've done better but I hung it up off the shoulder a ways so there's plenty of room to re-hang when it comes loose in the coming years.
ta98rmY.jpg
WufSEql.jpg

xBBj9yO.jpg

IslszFL.jpg

YIppY1U.jpg

You can see I was a little rushed to get this hung last evening and didn't sand enough off the sides near the back of the tongue. So my wedge was driven forward as I drove it home. It's all good though it won't be a major issue. Wedge is driven in hard two and a quarter inches out of the two and a half available in the kerf.
e0uUZFs.jpg

Here's some of the beautiful rays...
zjYyiiW.jpg

I have to say I'm pretty smitten with this white oak. It works even easier than red and it's lighter. But according to those who know it's actually a little tougher! Good stuff! The steel on this axe is comparable with Snow & Neally vintage stuff. A good temper. Anyhow another connie! Gotta love that! Take care guys!
1R132Rq.jpg

Back