What did you rehang today?

(then pressed the wrong button and will try again here:))

That Link handle was kinda...barely adequate...kerfed crooked,shocking lack of material in the tongue in general,i made it work,but will look for a better haft by'm by.View attachment 1315792

View attachment 1315796 View attachment 1315806 View attachment 1315808

Oh I do like that head profile...I've been in the market for something similar...is the forge open for business yet?! Love that head @Square_peg acquired.

Oh I do like that head profile...I've been in the market for something similar...is the forge open for business yet?! Love that head @Square_peg acquired.

No,man,i'm sorry,this forge is an experimental/testing facility only!:)
For now,and probably always...Unless i could either grow younger,or very seriously mechanise the process.

But i appreciate the honor you do me by asking,and thanks for kind words

20200403-203336.jpg

20200404-115122.jpg

20200404-115136.jpg

20200404-115143.jpg

20200404-115201.jpg

20200404-115049.jpg

20200404-115206.jpg

2¼lbs
13¼"
Truper Collins probably
Original haft
Rehung, single wedge
BLO
Quick file and stone sharp following existing bevel
That's a good looking hang there! Good fit on a 13". Makes the head look massive. I like it, good looking set up sir!

Here's an unmarked double bit I have that's pretty pitted and worn down decent, has a random placed deep 5, although it weighs 4 lb. 10oz so I figured it started as a 5lb. One I have that confuses me is a KP I have that has a 3 stamped on the bottom, and weighs 3lb 15 oz. Sorry, probably not the thread to discuss this, but I figured while we were on the subject...

That double bit is an AmericanAx. No question about it! That skinny ridge between those iconic bevels... 100% AmericanAx! To my knowledge they were the only company to ever make bevels like that. It was their trademark shape. Congrats man it's a nice one!
20200403-203336.jpg

20200404-115122.jpg

20200404-115136.jpg

20200404-115143.jpg

20200404-115201.jpg

20200404-115049.jpg

20200404-115206.jpg

2¼lbs
13¼"
Truper Collins probably
Original haft
Rehung, single wedge
BLO
Quick file and stone sharp following existing bevel
Miller! Nice and clean little hatchet and hang! That should be a real nice little user! Well done man that hang looks just about perfect! :thumbsup::D

That double bit is an AmericanAx. No question about it! That skinny ridge between those iconic bevels... 100% AmericanAx! To my knowledge they were the only company to ever make bevels like that. It was their trademark shape. Congrats man it's a nice one!
Thanks for the info man, ive been curious about this double bit and it's bevels, they are very different from your typical Plumb or Kelly style of bevel. I thought I saw something in an old reproduction catalog, that had axes under a house brand name with similar looking bevels. I'll go look again when the stores open back up, I didn't buy the catalog!

Thanks for the info man, ive been curious about this double bit and it's bevels, they are very different from your typical Plumb or Kelly style of bevel. I thought I saw something in an old reproduction catalog, that had axes under a house brand name with similar looking bevels. I'll go look again when the stores open back up, I didn't buy the catalog!
Here you go.
20200405_104002.jpg20200405_104008.jpg
20200405_104022.jpg

Should make a dandy house axe.

I agree, however no chopping allowed in the house...i have to lead by example, learn the errors of my ways. Apparently when an 8 year old see's his dad chop a little kindling fuel in the house...well its on at that point...open chopping right dad?
This one will find its way to the auction house.

(then pressed the wrong button and will try again here:))

That Link handle was kinda...barely adequate...kerfed crooked,shocking lack of material in the tongue in general,i made it work,but will look for a better haft by'm by.View attachment 1315792

View attachment 1315796 View attachment 1315806 View attachment 1315808

Thats a tight hang, a full in the eye and shoulder strong.
Whats this i hear about a waiting list for JPOGG FORGE - AXE of ALASKA?:):D:thumbsup::cool:

:thumbsup:

Hung another new S&N head and a hammer I've been meaning to get to for a couple years now.

The axe handle is a House boys axe handle (28" if I remember right). Needed a lot of reshaping on the knob and the shoulder but I hardly touched the middle :D
I left a lot of shoulder, figuring it might be useful one day.

Sorry about the contrast on the first pic. I really should move that round out into the sun if I'm going to take pics.

IMG-20200405-103940725-HDR.jpg

I ended up using the round wedges that came with the hammer handle, since the handle was a different brand than the head, there was a lot of gap to fill. Can't say as I'm wild about those tube wedges, though I've improvised them for small hammers and liked them ok for that. Must be the huge gap to take up that I don't like :D

IMG-20200405-103940724-HDR.jpg

You guys both need to come up here for an OJT!:)

Josh needs to work on his establishment,closer to other states ...A good plentiful source of waste oil,and a proper burner for it....
(i've been fantasizing about a roaring waste-oil flame...i'm so tired of my T uncertainty...).

Would love to!

Try looking into "Black Gold" waste furnace & burners. One of the more prevalent brands in this southern new england area.

Hung another new S&N head and a hammer I've been meaning to get to for a couple years now.

The axe handle is a House boys axe handle (28" if I remember right). Needed a lot of reshaping on the knob and the shoulder but I hardly touched the middle :D
I left a lot of shoulder, figuring it might be useful one day.

Sorry about the contrast on the first pic. I really should move that round out into the sun if I'm going to take pics.

I ended up using the round wedges that came with the hammer handle, since the handle was a different brand than the head, there was a lot of gap to fill. Can't say as I'm wild about those tube wedges, though I've improvised them for small hammers and liked them ok for that. Must be the huge gap to take up that I don't like :D

IMG-20200405-103940724-HDR.jpg
Is that one of those Stilleto hammer handles? I was going to try using one for a hatchet, but the eye taper is cut backwards to a typical hatchet. If you're not trying to do a future rehang or save a vintage haft, the barrel wedges work great.

You guys both need to come up here for an OJT!:)

Josh needs to work on his establishment,closer to other states ...A good plentiful source of waste oil,and a proper burner for it....
(i've been fantasizing about a roaring waste-oil flame...i'm so tired of my T uncertainty...).
Don't temp me! I'm always looking for a new adventure, nothing tying me down anywhere...

As for the waste oil, I've always wanted to acquire a m35 6x6 military truck, which can burn waste oil for fuel if mixed properly with gas or diesel; my plan was to go to auto parts stores or car repair shops to ask to pump their used oil. It costs them money to dispose of it, so I'd imagine the right persons would let you take it for free.

Is that one of those Stilleto hammer handles? I was going to try using one for a hatchet, but the eye taper is cut backwards to a typical hatchet. If you're not trying to do a future rehang or save a vintage haft, the barrel wedges work great.

Yeah, the handle is Stilleto and the head is something else, I think it was Home Despot's house brand but I don't really remember. Framed a house with it before the head became too loose to use. Probably would have been pretty disgusted with short life of it if I'd been moving on to framing the next one rather than moving on to the drywall and trim work and using different tools.

What I don't like about the tube wedges (or any metal wedge) is that they split the handle. I'd rather use a wood cross wedge if I need to take up gap in both directions. Gotta get the angle right for that, however. These tubes were zinc or something else soft too, that bugs me a bit.

1 3/4# hatchet I've had laying on my bench for several years, found a haft for it last year, 18" NOS, tapped the wedge in until it started to split, at that point I left it resting for 3 days, give the BLO time to soak in, then I cut the wedge down to about 1/2" above the haft, went in about another quarter inch and mushroomed. Trimmed it down and sanded it, that old bit sure was thick, got it down to .30, after the file I put a coarse stone on it and called it a day. I'll finish the edge next week. Came in at 17 3/4". Will make a good truck axe.
RoW2JLh.jpg

PyBFHKO.jpg

1SKRfjA.jpg

KKgTtH3.jpg

IwW6gS0.jpg

fHCHQcm.jpg

DBuGW9v.jpg

QOlzAbK.jpg

1/2# makes a big difference in hatchets. Here is a comparison shot with a 1 1/4# hatchet.
AYFhUPf.jpg

Last edited:
Finished this up over the weekend. Older Homestead yankee head on 28" straight House club. I've gained access to a basement woodshop, making things go a little faster. After spoke shaving, I did use the belt sander for a little shaping, but finished it with a rasp and left it like that. Ended up at 27" 4 lb. 5 oz. I was going for a fallers/wedge banger, but I think my primary use for this one will be light splitting at camp fires. Picture heavy as always. Enjoy!

The Plumb cruiser snuck into the pics, was sharpening them both. It's 26.5" 3 lb total.

Finished this up over the weekend. Older Homestead yankee head on 28" straight House club. I've gained access to a basement woodshop, making things go a little faster. After spoke shaving, I did use the belt sander for a little shaping, but finished it with a rasp and left it like that. Ended up at 27" 4 lb. 5 oz. I was going for a fallers/wedge banger, but I think my primary use for this one will be light splitting at camp fires. Picture heavy as always. Enjoy!

The Plumb cruiser snuck into the pics, was sharpening them both. It's 26.5" 3 lb total.

Very nice!! great hang!

Back