What did you rehang today?

Good job C Charlie_K
Looks like you did a good job getting the head seated on there good.

I've done a few sledge hammers and have gotten some good results with a twisted wire cup on an angle grinder and mineral oil. The wire cup doesn't take the head down to bare polished steel but after you rub it down good with oil it gets this nice dark "finish" which I think is actually maybe a thin layer of remaining rust that takes on a dark sheen.

Good job C Charlie_K
Looks like you did a good job getting the head seated on there good.

I've done a few sledge hammers and have gotten some good results with a twisted wire cup on an angle grinder and mineral oil. The wire cup doesn't take the head down to bare polished steel but after you rub it down good with oil it gets this nice dark "finish" which I think is actually maybe a thin layer of remaining rust that takes on a dark sheen.

I appreciate it. I was worried I'd gotten the handle crooked because my eyes are absolutely terrible at determining angles. I once owned an old hunting rifle that I sold because the barrel looked slightly bent to me, even though it wasn't. I just couldn't get my eyes to quit seeing it.

Nothing wrong with the paint, but why did you want it to look brand new ?
It's not necessary if you're gonna use it, and everything is only new once anyways.

Besides you don't really know what It would have looked like new anyways ( it's not very old either based on the safety warning).
Too many people tend to think an old tool must be made to look new again, and assume it would have come mirror polished for some reason.

If that's your thing well the tool is yours and nobody can tell you otherwise, but I say the paint was a much better way to go than polishing.

Nothing wrong with the paint, but why did you want it to look brand new ?
It's not necessary if you're gonna use it, and everything is only new once anyways.

Besides you don't really know what It would have looked like new anyways ( it's not very old either based on the safety warning).
Too many people tend to think an old tool must be made to look new again, and assume it would have come mirror polished for some reason.

If that's your thing well the tool is yours and nobody can tell you otherwise, but I say the paint was a much better way to go than polishing.

That's honestly a good question. I don't really know why I decided to give it a brand new look. It just felt right at the time since I was cleaning it up and making it serviceable again. Maybe show it a bit of love after it sat unused and neglected for who knows how long.

I didn't see any safety warning on it, though. If you managed to see one in the pictures then you have better eyes than I do.

Appreciated. The only problem is they only have octagonal handles. Not that there's anything wrong with octagonal, but I'm looking for oval handles.

Are the Vaughan brand handles worthwhile?
Yes. Quite good if you can find them. The Vaughan Bushnell handle plant is still in operation. I think most of their handles go into their own new tools. But it's not uncommon to find their hammer handles in the hardware stores.

That's honestly a good question. I don't really know why I decided to give it a brand new look. It just felt right at the time since I was cleaning it up and making it serviceable again. Maybe show it a bit of love after it sat unused and neglected for who knows how long.

I didn't see any safety warning on it, though. If you managed to see one in the pictures then you have better eyes than I do.
My bad, I confused this with the Hubbard branded hammer you posted.

Yes. Quite good if you can find them. The Vaughan Bushnell handle plant is still in operation. I think most of their handles go into their own new tools. But it's not uncommon to find their hammer handles in the hardware stores.
Yes they are.
They're about the nicest hammer handles that can be found in any hardware store within an hour of me when I find them.
The local OSH used to carry a full line before they went under.

As expected they are a bit chunkier than handles used to be, but they profile them well and I they are perfectly serviceable without needing any thinning.
I prefer to do so, but I doubt anyone else makes a hammer handle today that are as good how they come.

I started out with this
aLCKnmG.jpg

ebvQHrd.jpg

muYIgal.jpg

And ended with this
kp7bjIj.jpg

H0ewAEd.jpg

U7eITUE.jpg

I'm very disappointed in myself, my work, and the final result. The handle is unacceptably crooked, sitting at least 10 degrees off center.

I need to get a new handle, cut this one off, and try all over again.

I just had two back-to-back failures on my rehanging projects, with the handles breaking on both attempts. Quality handles from the Vaughan company.

Setbacks like this take all the fun out of rehanging. It's very discouraging to have good wood splinter on you like that.

Hello there,

Long time viewer, not much posts. Did quite some rehanging so thought this was a nice project to share for a change.

Picked up an 4,5 lbs Hults Bruk axe from a flea market for next to nothing, seller did not know what he had. Also an unknown double bit axe used for cleaning stones of mortar according to the seller. Could make a fun throwing axe so i picked it up also.

First order of business was to seperate the head of the HB from the shaft which was a nightmare. The agdorfix or permabond held up like a champ. The head was a little loose and very rusted so it had to come off one way or the other.

Eventually I chiselled out the resin and drilled a kerf. There was 1/3 resin in the eye and I drilled amost to the end of the eye knowing it would have to be rehung much lower.
Measuring the shoulder it could just barely be done on the same shaft, so fingers crossed.

After drilling it still would not budge so i had to separate the hickory halves from the steel with a screwdriver inside the eye before driving it out with a piece of sawed up shovel handle (held with duct tape for pounding).

The double bit was much easier and just came loose on tapping, tomahawk style. The eye is not 100% round so it may need some heating and hammering. For now the heads are resting in vinager and the shafts are to be sanded and coated in BLO.

To be continued!

uQHYeFY.jpg

tvgJXkD.jpg

BdLTK47.jpg

QiYp7G5.jpg

zG4eK9f.jpg

lY240bN.jpg

nHrA8QO.jpg

What happened?

On a sledgehammer, the eye walked back out of the head while I was wedging it, and had already gotten the wooden wedge fixed into place. There was no way of salvaging that disaster.

On the shingling hatchet, the wood split apart when I was drilling the lanyard hole, despite it being braced at the time to prevent that from happening.

Back