What did you rehang today?

This one came from an estate sale for less than a dollar. Not sure if this would be considered a Jersey pattern head, or something else? The vintage replacement haft was just sorta stuck in the eye, so I carved it down to fit better & rehung it.
jersey_zpskywgn7gt.jpg

I don't think the red paint is original, and it looks pretty bad, but it actually did a good job of protecting the steel.

It's a good looking axe head. Do you know who the maker is?

No, I couldn't find any markings anywhere. It's possible that the mark is just really faint and hiding under the paint, but the paint didn't want to come off with a wire wheel, so I just left it on. No ridges in the eye. But it does seem to have really nice geometry.

Holy cow! That is REAL NICE! Love that opposite diagonal wedge.

Thanks Square_peg! I'm real happy with it. I like the way it swings and feels, though I haven't got to use it a whole lot.

Daaayum I agree with all the others, that is really nice. It's got a signature look to it and I can relate to the feeling you're describing. Not only that, it's obvious that you had it going on with this project.

I appreciate the kind words, COTS! Initially, I was kind of thinking that it was hung a little too closed, but have decided it's still in the acceptable range. Looking through your project thread gave me some of the inspiration to go slim and octagonal. You make some killer handles

Thanks Square_peg! I'm real happy with it. I like the way it swings and feels, though I haven't got to use it a whole lot.

I appreciate the kind words, COTS! Initially, I was kind of thinking that it was hung a little too closed, but have decided it's still in the acceptable range. Looking through your project thread gave me some of the inspiration to go slim and octagonal. You make some killer handles

Tough to hang it closed with what is essentially a straight handle - you're good to go.

ETA: Upon closer inspection I think I see what you mean? Looks like if we draw a line from the swell to the bit it falls somewhere toward the center? I think that's fine. Just the shape and size of the swell can throw off this rule of thumb. It "looks" perfectly good to me. Poll appears to be vertical.

No, I couldn't find any markings anywhere. It's possible that the mark is just really faint and hiding under the paint, but the paint didn't want to come off with a wire wheel, so I just left it on. No ridges in the eye. But it does seem to have really nice geometry.

It is a Plumb. I am reasonably sure. They seemed to have rounded ears on their Jersey's.

I have a Plumb Jersey, I think just about every one I have seen has had the round lugs mine included. It also has a very light stamp. The big difference I see is in the profile. The cheeks and the bit on my example seem much thinner. The picture below shows it from the top, it's at the far left. Not the best picture.

21916496955_77550deb08_h.jpg

Quinton, I have seen a lot of Plumb Jersey axes mistaken for Rockaways due to the lugs being round, but I've yet to see a Plumb Rockaway. I don't mean to sound like a know it all, but having grown up in NJ and having lived in Rockaway I naturally have been drawn to the two patterns. There are some subtle differences between the two. I consider myself lucky to own a Rockaway as it is not a common pattern to come across.

I have a Plumb Jersey, I think just about every one I have seen has had the round lugs mine included. It also has a very light stamp. The big difference I see is in the profile. The cheeks and the bit on my example seem much thinner. The picture below shows it from the top, it's at the far left. Not the best picture.

21916496955_77550deb08_h.jpg

Quinton, I have seen a lot of Plumb Jersey axes mistaken for Rockaways due to the lugs being round, but I've yet to see a Plumb Rockaway. I don't mean to sound like a know it all, but having grown up in NJ and having lived in Rockaway I naturally have been drawn to the two patterns. There are some subtle differences between the two. I consider myself lucky to own a Rockaway as it is not a common pattern to come across.

I don't understand? I thought rounded lug Plumbs were called Rockaways..

Rockaways are a unique pattern. Plumb just used the rounded lugs because it seems that's how they rolled - they're still just Jerseys (when they are on Jerseys .... if that makes any sense).

A Rockaway has a slightly shorter pole, generally round lugs, and a slight outward curve from the eye to heel.

23559476436_2480dfc35d_h.jpg

Mckinnon axes were made in Rockaway NJ the town that the pattern is named after I believe, also where I went to highschool. Perhaps some day I will get my hands on one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the education fellas. I was wondering about the difference between Jersey & Rockaway, which is what I was hinting at in my initial post about this axe. Do any of you guys that own a Plumb Jersey have a picture of where the stamp is located? Maybe I could scrape away the paint in just that area & see if I uncover anything.

The big difference I see is in the profile. The cheeks and the bit on my example seem much thinner.

I'd consider the cheeks and bit on mine to be quite thin. The edge is half as thick as my Wood Slasher Jersey. Not quite as thin as my Cedar pattern Plumb, but almost. The example in your picture seems to have the relief grinds extend a little deeper, making it appear thinner along the top, but I'm not sure it's any thinner in the middle of the bit along the centerline. ?

I'd consider the cheeks and bit on mine to be quite thin. The edge is half as thick as my Wood Slasher Jersey. Not quite as thin as my Cedar pattern Plumb, but almost. The example in your picture seems to have the relief grinds extend a little deeper, making it appear thinner along the top, but I'm not sure it's any thinner in the middle of the bit along the centerline. ?

Yup, definitely has a high centerline, as does yours. It could just be the picture as mine struck me as having a thin profile for such a large axe head. Anyway mine is a Plumb Victory stamp I believe with the stamp at the top of cheek just ahead of the eye in the center on the left side. The problem with Plumb seems to be the stamp and location seems to vary quite a bit.

This may/may not add to the Jersey - Rockaway discussion. Plumb add I saved - don't remember where I got it.
25378448754_9755141085_c.jpg

Bob

This may/may not add to the Jersey - Rockaway discussion. Plumb add I saved - don't remember where I got it.
Bob

Thanks for posting that add, Bob. Jerseys notwithstanding, I never realized Plumb made that Voyageur's Axe. If it's that much smaller than a scout axe, I wonder if it would qualify as a "pocket axe" like the little Vaughan or Craftsman hatchets. Now I'd like to learn more about those. Anyone here have one, or know anything about 'em?

Thanks for posting that add, Bob. Jerseys notwithstanding, I never realized Plumb made that Voyageur's Axe. If it's that much smaller than a scout axe, I wonder if it would qualify as a "pocket axe" like the little Vaughan or Craftsman hatchets. Now I'd like to learn more about those. Anyone here have one, or know anything about 'em?

Good eye Possum! I'd be interested to hear if anyone has one of these as well. I might have a bit of a soft spot for the pocket hatchet ;-)

Back