What did you rehang today?

Sometimes I do things the hard way just for fun. By the time I am done with it the fun is over and I will not do that again for awhile.

A froe, club and well seasoned black locust billet.
P1010001_zpspngnognw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010002_zpsnwhvqj74.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010003_zpsbtnoua5j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
That knot was grown over and an unwelcome surprise. But I do not think it will cause failure.
P1010004_zpspiauvarl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Hatchet work done. Time for a rasp, followed by a file and then sand paper.
P1010006_zpsa2rj2a1d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Done except for final treating of the handle.
P1010009_zpsjs80cg8c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010010_zpssyrdhbur.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

With out power tools I have around three hours into that. :(

Sometimes I do things the hard way just for fun. By the time I am done with it the fun is over and I will not do that again for awhile.

A froe, club and well seasoned black locust billet.
P1010001_zpspngnognw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010002_zpsnwhvqj74.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010003_zpsbtnoua5j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
That knot was grown over and an unwelcome surprise. But I do not think it will cause failure.
P1010004_zpspiauvarl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Hatchet work done. Time for a rasp, followed by a file and then sand paper.
P1010006_zpsa2rj2a1d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Done except for final treating of the handle.
P1010009_zpsjs80cg8c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010010_zpssyrdhbur.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

With out power tools I have around three hours into that. :(

That's a nice Tommy Axe, Garry. Those 3 hours are good for clearing the mind, not wasted.

That's a nice Tommy Axe, Garry. Those 3 hours are good for clearing the mind, not wasted.

Thanks, It is my first Tommy. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever find one.

I enjoy roughing out bows with a hewing hatchet even though I have a band saw that does it in about a minute, it is very relaxing. I think it is fitting the eye that wears on me with axe handles.

Not so much a rehang as a cleanup and save. This is a really nice unmarked head that is roughly 2lbs on an 18" handle. I took it off the handle, cleaned it, sanded the handle and re-wedged it and then linseed oiled the whole thing. It will be a nice looking user.

A ten minute hang job from an old axe handle. Draw knife and a pocket knife. Quick fast down and dirty. It doesn't always need to be pretty. I have a couple hours in getting that smith made fuller back into shape though. Wrought body and a forge welded head. The eye is punched crooked as all get out. He could for sure forge weld but he could not punch a straight eye.

P1010002_zpsnta86ydk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A cruiser stamped W-39 for Warren and the year.

P1010003_zpslrl0kwek.jpg

That is a great looking cruiser garry! Grinds done with cleaner and rougher work in mind?

I have several axes marked W and different variations of it - with and without a maker's mark.

They all seem like great steel and tend to be hardened back a little further than others.

*attractive handle there as well.

I ordered these five handles from House Handle Co. a while back.

Finally had time to hang them today.

Also put the first coat of BLO on them.

Not up to the art forms that I have seen here but hopefully they will be ok.

The handles seemed ok. My only complaint is that I upgraded the two double bit handles to be octagon shaped but they did not come that way.

Too much trouble to send them back and I wasn't sure I really wanted octagon anyway.

Send them an email with your order number and explain the problem with a picture of the erroneous handles. They will take care of you. They have never required me to send back handles when it was their mistake

That is a great looking cruiser garry! Grinds done with cleaner and rougher work in mind?

I have several axes marked W and different variations of it - with and without a maker's mark.

They all seem like great steel and tend to be hardened back a little further than others.

*attractive handle there as well.

Both cheeks had been previously thinned. I purchased quite a few axes from an old logger, collector and he has set most of his axes up to suit himself. We seam to have a connection and he knows they where going to a good home or I am sure he could have sold them for more.

Yar

Splitting maul I picked up at an estate sale

39d7ebfeef99bacdfb2415f311c06e87.jpg

7a1f4dc6b4fe42c417d9f8dbffbad253.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got this super nice 3lb head on an old dirty loose replacement handle. It was poorly hung. I fixed it.

Resurfaced, re-wedged, linseed oiled.

That is a good looking hewing hatchet JB. Bet if it was sharpened up it would do the job without question.

I haven't come across any Plumb tools that were losers due to manufacture - over worn or abused - yes.

What did you use for the wedge on that one?

Here is a Sager Chemical cruiser I hung today. Its from 1943. I need to do a little work on thinning one of the cheeks. Its been done before but it has some wear and the thin one has worn more than the other one, its a little uneven in length from one to the other. I am going to flip them.

P1010009_zpsffm1fht6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That is a good looking hewing hatchet JB. Bet if it was sharpened up it would do the job without question.

I haven't come across any Plumb tools that were losers due to manufacture - over worn or abused - yes.

What did you use for the wedge on that one?

That is a slice of mahogany.

DeadboxHero

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Collins Pulaski getting ready for Wildfire season

I grinded the chips out with an angle grinder and water cooling.

I then used the work sharp Ken Onion belt sharpener with the 60 grit grinding belt to finish the job.

Hey, I just discovered Blade Forum has a Axe forum, not just a Becker forum

3 lb Kelly Wards on a 28" re-profiled house haft. Some bone black in the grain, cherry stain and linseed

IMG_0712_zpsvtqnvmtm.jpg

IMG_0714_zpsprtdtvfv.jpg

IMG_0713_zps5mmzvloe.jpg

Few others L to R, 4lb plumb, 4lb true temper 32", the above 3lb wards(kelly) 28", 3.5lb Red Diamond 28", 2 1/2lb Dunlop(not hung yet, 2 1/2lb swedish head

IMG_0711_zpsekmbjcq1.jpg

Still have a pile of other heads and and handles. A 30" handle is up nest

Last edited: