What did you rehang today?

Haha thanks guys

I've always wanted a Kelly Perfect.

Love it.

I had a Council Tool Jersey with phantoms.

No comparison.

A few recent projects. The ballpeins are a 4oz Vaughan and a 2lb Proto. The hatchet is a 1.5lb Craftsman on an 18" House handle. The old hand made hammers are super cool. The big one is 5lbs.

pURFMa0l.jpg

WBjBK9cl.jpg

LDpuK90l.jpg

YdkNF48l.jpg

www.instagram.com/berensaxehouse

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BerensAxeHouse?ref=hdr_shop_menu

New to leatherwork, Bison leather with buffalo nickel snaps, need to learn to soder them on, gorilla glue is only lasting so long. Also the bison I have does not seem to be as stiff as the more common cow leather used, maybe need a different weight or something. .

New to leatherwork, Bison leather with buffalo nickel snaps, need to learn to soder them on, gorilla glue is only lasting so long. Also the bison I have does not seem to be as stiff as the more common cow leather used, maybe need a different weight or something. .

Great looking axe! Didn't the snaps punch through the leather?

Regarding the softness of the leather. If you want to stiffen it up, you can melt/absorb beeswax into it. That will harden it up (and darken it, beware). What oz is it? anything from 6-10 is okay for sheaths. I am using 6-7oz for mine right now and I don't feel like I need anything thicker.

Last edited:

From top to bottom.
Collins legitimus cooper hatchet
Unknown claw hammer (likely pre ww1 this came out of my great grandfather's tool chest)
Stanley handyman carpenters hatchet (my grandfather's)
Plumb 12oz claw hammer
Plumb 21 Oz ball peen
Stanley 16 Oz claw hammer

I attempted my first cross wedge on the Stanley hammer.

This is that nice handle that I picked up today. I paired it with a great 2lb head that I picked up last week covered in black paint. Turns out there was a winner under there. Looks like ATCO Tool Works. Could be ATHA, but I have never known them to make hatchets. The handle is 19" and total weight is a hair over 2.5lbs. Mahogany wedge and metal because it didn't QUITE fill the eye. It was tight but I was not completely confident in it. Linseed oil and beeswax of course.

Archertl, what kind of wood are you using for those handles? Hand made and well done.

JB it didn't take you long to find a head for that handle! Its an interesting stamp. It leaves me wondering about the maker.

Archertl, what kind of wood are you using for those handles? Hand made and well done.

JB it didn't take you long to find a head for that handle! Its an interesting stamp. It leaves me wondering about the maker.

Hickory that I cut on my chainsaw mill. Thank you. These are the first handles I have carved from a board.

This is that nice handle that I picked up today. I paired it with a great 2lb head that I picked up last week covered in black paint. Turns out there was a winner under there. Looks like ATCO Tool Works. Could be ATHA, but I have never known them to make hatchets.

I was gonna say maybe it reads 'WATCO' but then it would likely also say 'Warrenteed'.

This is a $5 black spray paint covered Plumb anchor logo head that I got last week paired with a handle that I saved God knows when. I think that I have $6 into this project. Anyway, I cleaned and joined the two, along with boiled linseed oil and a new mahogany wedge. It turned out nice and the very old head is in GREAT condition.

Handsome Plumb JB. I like finding heads that have OLD paint on them.

Agreed. That is a fine looking hewing hatchet. Old paint is the best if there is paint. Some of the best preserved heads I've come across were painted and just waiting for someone to clean them up, hang them, and use them.

Very nice wedge work as well JB.

Agreed. That is a fine looking hewing hatchet. Old paint is the best if there is paint. Some of the best preserved heads I've come across were painted and just waiting for someone to clean them up, hang them, and use them.

Very nice wedge work as well JB.

Them old Military axes tend to have plenty of paint on them. They seem to always be really nice. I have found some boo boo's hiding under new paint. I tend to look at them with suspicion.

JB, that handle looks very much like the military hatchets. At first they look a little odd with out a swell on the end, until you grip one. I find them really comfortable. Its a very good choice for a hewing hatchet.

Steve T, That's a hundred dollar hatchet. :thumbup:

BTW JB, you hung that head upside down.:D

Blue Sasquatch-
Really nice job on the hang and sheath. Looks great. But, I can't be the only member here who cringed upon seeing that nicely sharpened edge resting on a brick wall. :D:eek:

Talk to me about Elm as a handle material. What sort of Elm (apparently not red)?

Elm can be a very good choice for handle material. It compares well with white ash. See the charts on page 4 and 5 of this document.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/ch04.pdf

Besides ash and hickory have a look at these woods:

American Beech
Sweet and Yellow Birch
Rock Elm
Honey Locust
Black Locust*!!
Sugar Maple
Cherrybark and Scarlet Oak
Live Oak

Back