What did you rehang today?

Elm can be a very good choice for handle material. It compares well with white ash. See the charts on page 4 and 5 of this document.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/ch04.pdf

Besides ash and hickory have a look at these woods:

American Beech
Sweet and Yellow Birch
Rock Elm
Honey Locust
Black Locust*!!
Sugar Maple
Cherrybark and Scarlet Oak
Live Oak

Black Locust isn't hardy this far north but Honey Locust is increasingly being planted to replace EAB killed Ash trees. The farmer across from where I grew up (and now live again) planted Locusts around his house already 100 years ago and although he and the farm are long gone the now-huge trees are still there.

Elm can be a very good choice for handle material. It compares well with white ash. See the charts on page 4 and 5 of this document.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/ch04.pdf

Besides ash and hickory have a look at these woods:

American Beech
Sweet and Yellow Birch
Rock Elm
Honey Locust
Black Locust*!!
Sugar Maple
Cherrybark and Scarlet Oak
Live Oak

It lost me when it listed the specific gravity's higher for dry wood than for green.

Black Locust isn't hardy this far north but Honey Locust is increasingly being planted to replace EAB killed Ash trees. The farmer across from where I grew up (and now live again) planted Locusts around his house already 100 years ago and although he and the farm are long gone the now-huge trees are still there.

The black locust was planted here around most homesteads. I suspect for a fence post source. It has escaped and become naturalized in many places.

There is a hybrid ornamental that resembles more of the honey locust than a black locust that is very popular here. I have to chuckle when I see it being planted. It rarely will live to see thirty years and most times shorter than that.

I hung the little boys axe that came in the mail yesterday. Obviously a wood slasher.

I was down to the last seasoned stave and the stave was a little small to get the fawns foot I wanted but it is what it is. Feels really good in the hand though. Overall length is 30".

Here it is compared to the Plumb scout axe I hung a little while back.

That little unstamped woodslasher found a good home on a very fine haft. Its nice that the vintage unstamped heads can still be had at a very good bargain. I wonder at times if the supply is endless.

Dated 1940,it was my grandfathers axe.I remember using it to chop kindling as a young boy.When my grandfather passed it went to my father,now at ninety one he has no further use for it so it's with me until I pass it along to my son.Ground most of the mushroom off,a wire cup brush cleaned away the rust and crud,new handle has had three coats of Danish oil with a light sanding between coats.Just need to put an edge on and it's ready for many more years of service.

That little unstamped woodslasher found a good home on a very fine haft. Its nice that the vintage unstamped heads can still be had at a very good bargain. I wonder at times if the supply is endless.

Thanks, Garry! It sure was a nice head for the price.

The black locust was planted here around most homesteads. I suspect for a fence post source. It has escaped and become naturalized in many places.

There is a hybrid ornamental that resembles more of the honey locust than a black locust that is very popular here. I have to chuckle when I see it being planted. It rarely will live to see thirty years and most times shorter than that.

How do you ID the ornamental variety? I work at a university and they have planted all manner of trees so there are some that I'm not familiar with from my time in the woods. Honey Locust is common in Kansas but at work there are a bunch of thornless Locust trees and one is stone dead top to bottom. I was hoping it was a Black Locust that they would let me take the trunk from. But considering that it is completely dead and only about a foot across, it makes me wonder if it's not one of these short lived ornamentals.

I hung the little boys axe that came in the mail yesterday. Obviously a wood slasher.

I was down to the last seasoned stave and the stave was a little small to get the fawns foot I wanted but it is what it is. Feels really good in the hand though. Overall length is 30".

The handle on that Plumb is spec-damn-tacular.

I would love to see a full youtube clip of someone carving out a full size axe handle....just letting you all know if you decide to film it!

the handle on that plumb is spec-damn-tacular.

that plumb sure is purty!

Thanks, guys! It's one of my favorites. I started that haft for a client, but discovered that a pin knot in the stave wouldn't work out after the handle was 3/4 done. So, I started with a new stave for the customer, and hung the little Plumb on the handle I started for him. Here's a few more pictures.

I did these two today. The 3.5lb Plumb Dayton was hung on an old 32" brown dry replacement handle that I picked up for $1 at a yard sale ages ago. I scraped/sanded/oiled it. Not my best hang, not bad. I wasn't completely happy with how the wood filled the eye so I used metal wedges to make it rock solid. Sue me. ;)

The 4lb Craftsman hammer I hung on a new House Handle 16" blacksmith hammer handle. I scraped the varnish off and oiled it. I love how this one turned out.

How do you ID the ornamental variety? I work at a university and they have planted all manner of trees so there are some that I'm not familiar with from my time in the woods. Honey Locust is common in Kansas but at work there are a bunch of thornless Locust trees and one is stone dead top to bottom. I was hoping it was a Black Locust that they would let me take the trunk from. But considering that it is completely dead and only about a foot across, it makes me wonder if it's not one of these short lived ornamentals.

The handle on that Plumb is spec-damn-tacular.

Thorn less and non-seed baring. Both the black and honey locusts shed lots of seed pods. The Black Locust will only have thorns on the branches the Honey Locust will have thorns on the trunks also. We do not have many Honey Locusts, the few I have seen here are associated with old homesteads(except the ornamental).
I have no idea what the wood is like in the ornamental.

A boys axe on a long handle is a good pairing. I'll bet you become fond of that axe.

ygzaGKTl.jpg

No name, ridges in eye (kelly) hung on a 28" elm handle with walnut wedge. Handle blank and wedge bought from Nick Thrane at Thrane axe and saw company, check them out.

vcm8g1Nl.jpg

Dandenong from Australia hung on a 28" vintage hickory handle, walnut wedge.

Um21ppBl.jpg

While back, re-oiled and did some edge work on it.

NDWaqNhl.jpg

Same

RI0ahjql.jpg

Same

lJkRB5ql.jpg

Same, like this one a good bit.

fEqzXXRl.jpg

Mann Superior, another elm handled one.

zx5wtSWl.jpg

Collins, elm handle 28"

gyuflAjl.jpg

Flint Edge, elm handle, 28"

Been a busy couple of weeks! Have another 7 blanks from Thrane on their way with Osage Orange wedges this time, will be hanging 7 etched/embossed heads on these ones. Also working on an order from handle house for some more general axes, main showpiece will be the Seattle Occident Felling tree topper!

Last edited:
Pulled a 1.75# keen cutter off this handle. Much too heavy for a 14" handle. Put this craftsman on and it feels great.
i9jbhXP.jpg

ONBGt9Y.jpg

WNzowev.jpg

dByr8FF.jpg

Cleaned up my crosscut saw. Only stamp on it is this C. All I need to finish it is a new supplemental handle. All the teeth are in good shape and sharp. Next I have to learn how to set the teeth and sharpen them. The handle is solid. Considering a new one runs close to 200 bucks I think 26 was a good deal for this one.
MqydSrL.jpg

mWDj5u3.jpg

K6WAjJZ.jpg

U37ds9g.jpg

Cleaned up my crosscut saw. Only stamp on it is this C. All I need to finish it is a new supplemental handle. All the teeth are in good shape and sharp. Next I have to learn how to set the teeth and sharpen them. The handle is solid. Considering a new one runs close to 200 bucks I think 26 was a good deal for this one.
MqydSrL.jpg

mWDj5u3.jpg

K6WAjJZ.jpg

U37ds9g.jpg

In that last picture I can see the remnants of an etch on that saw blade.
Right off the bat I can see that it has A S in it.

In that last picture I can see the remnants of an etch on that saw blade.
Right off the bat I can see that it has A S in it.

My eyes are not as sharp as they used to be, but I looked it over good and saw nothing, narrow it down for me, where do you see the A S? Near the handle or towards the center?

Back