What do y’all use for knife templates?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Outdoor Gear Dad, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Outdoor Gear Dad

Outdoor Gear Dad Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2019
    I’ve got paper templates and plastic templates that I cut out of old placemats all over. They suck to trace out on steel. What do you guys use? This might seem like a no-brainer question, but I’m looking for creative ideas. Thought about buying a bunch of paint stir sticks from Home Depot and cutting them out of that.

Any suggestions that work for you?

2. argel55

argel55

Oct 30, 2005
    I use some 3/32 plastic and 1/16 sheet metal that I make the most made templates out of.

3. Fletch Helical

Fletch Helical

Sep 29, 2009
    I put them on hardboard (high density fiberboard) whatever you want to call it. Same stuff pegboards are made out of without the holes in it. You can get a 2x2 sheet usually from a Home Depot for a few bucks or buy a 4x8 sheet for a few bucks more and have them "cross cut" some 2'x4' sheets that you can make a bunch out of. Just don't get them wet :). What's nice is with some fine grit sandpaper you can smooth out any profiling by hand that might need to be done if need be.

4. SBuzek

SBuzek KnifeMaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2006
    I use 1/8" micarta for fixed blades. And 3/32 A2 for folders

5. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    https://bladeforums.com/threads/making-patterns-from-wood-cigar-boxes.1765353/#post-20211735

6. Branson1369

Branson1369

Feb 17, 2019
    1/4” plywood

7. Seedy Lot

Seedy Lot

Apr 15, 2019
    I was using kydex but recently switched to G10.

8. David Schott

David Schott

Sep 27, 2004
    1/16" Norplex/micarta they sell super cheap on ebay

9. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I just cut mine out of Manila folder paper. It’s not fancy, but it does the trick.

10. Randydb

Randydb Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2014
    I had a piece of 1/8" finish birch plywood. I took my drawing, stole my nieces glue stick, and glued my drawing to the plywood and then cut it out on my bandsaw and used my grinder to get things down to my lines and smooth.

11. PEU

PEU Gaucho Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 6, 2006
    I have all of my templates stored as vectors. If I need to cut something, I vinyl plot the profile and cut it with the bandsaw. Simple and accurate.

Pablo

12. Hankins

Hankins KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2008
    1/4"x2 1/2"x48" piece of Poplar sold in the wood trim section of the local Lowes or Home Depot
    Cost is around $3-4 but you can get quite a few templates out of one. Good thing is you can practice your grind on it, especially if it's a complicated one. These come in many other sizes as well so few limits on radical designs.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    Branson1369 likes this.
  13. N.W. Gean

N.W. Gean KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 10, 2018
    I have a 1/8" aluminum blank for the hunting knife I make. Lowes/Home Depot sells aluminum stock fairly cheap.

14. Alex Topfer

Alex Topfer

May 1, 2019
    I use paper or baking parchment. As you noticed it's not the most accurate to transfer to steel, but i make tweaks to my design during grinding anyway so it doesn't bother me. If it's just a mockup to get a feel for size I use scrap cardboard.
    If you want it really accurate do a vector file and get it cut by waterjet

15. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    :rolleyes:I use a cnc file on a flash drive

16. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    When I come up with a profile I want to keep I make an extra out of reclaimed 15N20 and use that as a template. When I’m gone someone will get a drawer full of ready to bevel useable pattern blanks

17. Dominick Maone

Dominick Maone

Oct 14, 2018
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is what I use also. Super easy to cut with bandsaw and score with a razor what you can not reach with bandsaw.

18. Jrmysell

Jrmysell

May 18, 2014
    I use the 1/8" plexiglass type stuff at lowes/homedepot. Super cheap for a sheet and see through.

19. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    .040" sheet metal. i had used wood in the past but i noticed the scribe will start to eat away the edge after awhile.

20. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    El Cheapo mild steel from the Depot. Some paper ones for the occasionally used ones or one offs and a few out of laminated wood. Day in day out knives I make often, mild steel.