What do you hate about the knife industry?

In the most recent issue of Blade magazine, several noted individuals in knifedom were asked what bugged them about knives. What about you collectors and enthusiasts? What do you hate about it, other than threads like these!!!:D

Here are a few of mine:

1. Not enough money to buy all the ones I want.

2. Steel snobs who complain about 420HC, AUS-6, 440A, who only carry knives for defensive purposes, you know..."just in case." But, they just may (on rare occasions) use their high-end supersteals to open an envelope.

3. Overpriced production knives. (Need I mention names?)

4. Knockoffs (Do yourself a favour and get the real thing.)

5. People who are willing to spend large sums of money on high-end knives designed to be used, but are scared to get a scratch on them.

6. Partially serrated blades. (They just get in the way when I need a plain edge.)

7. Stupid outlandish "macho-man" names given to knives just to boost someone's ego.

****Okay, maybe "what do you hate about the knife industry?" is too harsh a term. Let me rephrase it: What don't you like in the world of knives?***

Hate is too strong a word for my feelings about most any aspect of the knife industry, but...

1. True knockoffs that hurt manufacturers (as differentiated from "borrowed ideas".
2. The phrase "Surgical Stainless Steel"
3. Liner-lock phobia amongst Bladeforums members.
4. A growing assumption amongst lay persons that knife enthusiast = gun enthusiast.
5. Pakkawood, with "rainbow" stain
6. Thumbstuds
7. I agree with El Cid - lack of funds
8. Factory knives that are a step or two away from near perfection (for me at least) - with no ability to customize them (in the factory) and complete the final step in the process.
9. MSRP
10.Cheap sheaths for fixed blade designs. Sheath quality should be paramount on fixed blades.

Originally posted by el cid
7. Stupid outlandish "macho-man" names given to knives just to boost someone's ego.

Closely related: Stupid outlandish "Macho-man" knife designs used to boost someone's ego.

1) not enough cash
2) long waits
3) production clones of custom designs
4) response to every knife question with "Sebenza" (d@mn, I just did it myself :rolleyes: )

RL

1 - Overpriced production knives

2 - The 'Fury' line of knives

The need to use "over the top" tough sounding names for knives. But then again, marketing is everything. They say you have to sell the sizzle not the steak. I would rather have good steak.

Also lack of quality control. 200 dollar micro tech folders should not leave the factory with the blades rubbing on the liners.

Finally edges and blades that are just too thick for any real slicing.

1) We have to judge knives on their appearance, or on the basis of anacdotal information because there is no central clearing house to tell us whether a particular type of knife, or maker, is experiencing a high failure rate.

2) The use of cute proprietary steel names to obscure the true properties of the material used. Why are we still guessing at the composition of Carbon V and Infi?

3) Using over the top names and images to move products. Do we really have to stoop to appeal to the mall nijas; perhaps there are better more mature segments of the market just over the next rise.

4) An abscense of any real positioning information, or any means of communicating it. Put another way, we do not have useful product lables that can help us determine the design purpose of the knife, or assist us in comparing it with similar designs. Fighters, camp knives, survival knives, tactical knives, hunters, etc: this language is used almost ramdomly - it's virtually meaningless. How about putting some standards behind this language? We don't even bother to list something as basic as a grip size.

5) The lack of basic training. Perhaps the reason we have to appeal to the overgrown teenagers in all of us is that we have failed to educate our customers on what actually works. People are going with the sharpened prybar; they know they are in the dark, and are erring on the side of caution. Just a little instruction on sharpening and blade touch-up might drop the desired bar diameter by 1/8 and the RC by a point or two.

It is not just about building a better mousetrap; we also need to consider where our mousetrap fits in the grand scheme of things. There are still too many people affraid to use a sharp knife in the kitchen because they might cut themselves. An educated user would make a better customer.

n2s

1) That they can make knives faster than I can buy them; similar to the not-enough-money school of thought.

2) The attitude, among makers and some owners, that "my knife is the best and you're an idiot if you don't agree".

3) Too few storefronts where you can actually see and handle a wide selection of knives. I understand it, but don't like it.

Lack of funds #1

#2 some of the stupidest advertising: "The strongest lock ever made, if Superman was a lock he'd be this" - (till next week) Or "If you were stuck in the jungle, with only one tool it would have to be: (fill in the blank) or "In a dark alley when confonted 30,000 bad guys you need (fill in the blank)

#3 So many weird "steels" which manufactures re-name to suit their needs XJ1953 Strato-magnotovium ect............Usually it's just a simple steel with a fancy title.

#4 cheap knock-off's

Originally posted by BOK
2 - The 'Fury' line of knives
BOK: I wonder why? Who made those bloody POS that they call knives?
Gollnick: Ditto.

Calyth - I especially hate those knives because I got held up with one before. Check out the black and blue one that sells for $39 at HOK. Thats the bastard. You will NOT find that knife at Oak or PC.

El Cid, in response to your comments this is what I hate most:

1. Cutting my damn fingers when I play with my knives. :D
2. Comparing blade steels for something that will usually never be used beyond slicing apples etc.
3. People that take themselves too seriously about knives in general.
4. Comparing knife brands.
5. Not being able to buy every single knife I like!!!!:grumpy: ( BTW, I am working on this point)
6. Fixation on any one brand or custom maker.
7. The term "TACTICAL"..what is this??? Tactical for me could mean having a knife to cut boxes open. Only people in line of duty can call it "TACTICAL"
8. Hearing " I want it for self defense"....Buy a gun for self defense, or take up martial arts I say....better still, RUN!!!!!!

I see knives as a thing of beauty, a work of art, a sculpture, an expression of a mood, and lastly as a very handy item to cut things with.hehehehe:D

Overzealous fans of certain knife companies who complain about other companies when they do not realize they are anoying.

1) Knife magazines that never met a knife they didn't like.
2) Long wait times for anything worthwhile.
3) Obfucating the knife steel with strange names (already mentioned).
4) Arguments about production/custom/handmade.

Can't complain much: couple the "rennaissance (sp?)" in the knife ind. in the "90's along with same with 'puters and the net....and we've an unbelievable selection of quality knives at bargain prices, and don't even have to leave the house. We can even trade/buy from one another around the world. Unreal! But then I'm an older guy that didn't grow up with this stuff. BTW, I DID like Architect's comment about "paranoia about linerlocks among BF members". :p

1) Outrageous prices for some production knives.
2) Steel snobbery.
3) Not enough one-hand, pocket-clip, LOCKBACK knives being produced (plenty of liner-locks however).
4) No American company can seem to build a really nice production "Swiss Army" style knife.
5) Blatant bias in knife magazines when it comes to custom built knives (have you ever read an unfavorable review of a custom-built in a knife magazine? If you have please post a link).

Allen.

Back