What do you have in your BUG OUT BAG that no one else has?

you can check budk but theres alot of options out there

Last edited:
I' always have a silcox key in my truck in case I need a bucket of water for my horses or construction use and I am away from home or work.
ill definetly be adding a silcock key
and even a fire hydrant key
plus a lock pick kit
cards and maybe a kid toy or 2 if theres still room.

thanks for the suggestions fellas

I have a paracord sling. Like, the David and Goliath type. Need to practice with it more though.

I keep a small whetstone for touching up my knives if needed. Also a small container of honey (great antiseptic), Cayenne, and cigar tube set up as a fishing kit (line, sinkers, hooks, etc). I keep a old Ranger pace counter on my straps. If you learn to measure your pace properly, these things are pretty accurate.

OK, I confess: Les Stroud and Bear Grylls. Les for help, Bear for entertain watching him drink his pee.

An ocarina.

[video=youtube;Wsb7txbcwe8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsb7txbcwe8&feature=share&list=UUEso4M4JZCk2DcInyZapSeA[/video]

And I finally got 'round to posting this up as a YouTube clip. I find an ocarina a fantastic "harmonica replacement" when out and about. In fact, during WW2 when metal began to be rationed and harmonica production ceased, Gretsch Manufacturing put out cheap plastic ocarinas by the boatload for American soldiers to entertain themselves with. The ones used for the recording are clay (though still quite robust if carried in a triangular padded pistol pouch) but plastic ocarinas have come a LONG way since those days and several makers put out some very high quality ones--notably Focalink, Zin, and Noble.

Morale/entertainment is a pretty important thing in a long-term situation, plus it can be used as a signaling device. :)

Anyone else carry a harmonica in their BOB? I carry a Lee Oskar and a Hohner Puck, I always have some kind of music also I carry a Pocket Parafoil Kite with string, the string has multiple uses aside from flyin' the kite.

A couple of folks have mentioned having harmonicas in their kits. And as I noted above, I carry a musical instrument with me, but its not a harmonica. :)

"If your camping-mate brings a harmonica, conveniently leave them behind at the nearest gas station."

IIRC, that's from a Worst Case Scenario handbook about camping. :p

I think it would be fun to bring a ukulele. Easy to play, lightweight, cheap, and they sound so upbeat and happy.

"If your camping-mate brings a harmonica, conveniently leave them behind at the nearest gas station."

IIRC, that's from a Worst Case Scenario handbook about camping. :p

I think it would be fun to bring a ukulele. Easy to play, lightweight, cheap, and they sound so upbeat and happy.

I've noticed in my participation in ocarina groups that many ocarina enthusiasts are also ukelele enthusiasts. :p

Anyone else carry a harmonica in their BOB? I carry a Lee Oskar and a Hohner Puck, I always have some kind of music also I carry a Pocket Parafoil Kite with string, the string has multiple uses aside from flyin' the kite.

I've been wondering about a kite as a signalling device. A Pocket Parafoil would be perfect for that, I would think! What do you guys think, other than the limitation of needing the right weather and a clear area, what other limitations do you folks see?

Nice thing about a pocket parafoil is that they don't need a lot of wind to fly and in heavier winds ya just add more weight to the tail, keep in mind that most are fairly colorful so easy to spot from the ground and the air.

When I used to go to the Dead concerts at the big stadiums I would fly my kite and tie it off to my car once I got it up in the air, this way all my friends that I met at the shows could find me. They'd just find the kite and follow the string to the party in the parkin' lot.

BTW, I've flown my kite in every country and every state I've ever been in, I write the dates and where the kite flew on the kite it's self.

One other thing I've done is used the kite to fish, tie a fishin' line to the kite sting about 15-20 feet out and with a weight and bait ya can get the kite to rise and dip the bait into the lake and when the fish bites, ya pull on the kite string and the kite launches into the air settin' the hook, then all ya gotta do is reel the kite in with yer catch.

Try it, it's challengin', fun and extremely rewardin' when ya get yer fish. :)

I realize it's a matter of taste, but to me the best sound a harmonica makes is when it hits the bottom of a dumpster...

And lands on the bagpipes and accordion that are already in there. ;)

Back