1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What do you look for in a pocket knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by david77, May 7, 2019.

1. Lateck

Lateck

Dec 16, 2017
    For me there are a number of things I look for; style, size, shape, purpose, price, country of origin and my list goes on.
    What I DON'T want in a review is the personal opinion of the reviewer to go on and on. What is to heavy for you is perfect for me. You may live in an area where a OTF is illegal (sorry, should say, not allowed) but where I live it is. As Joe Friday once said, "Just the facts".

As it has been said, review what you like and give me your fair and honest opinion AND the facts. I can make up my on mind.
    Good luck.

2. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    When it comes to pocket space, I’ve become a bit of a minimalist, so I pay more attention to blade/handle ratio than I did in the past.

3. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Drop-point slicer that fits my hand; good steel, around 4 0z.

4. kaos 13

kaos 13

Apr 30, 2019
    I agree with what others have said it's personal preference I like fixed blades a lot better than folder but do own and use a few buck 112 buck 501 Leatherman wave cold steel ti lite 4s zytel and aluminium cold steel counter point 2 but out of all of them with what I do and use them for the ti lite zytel gets used the most it's good at cutting rags helping repair motorcycle wireing cutting zip tie rope rubber hard plasic pipes and food but a lot wont agree and say the leathman would be better suited but i dont like multi tools much it's personal preference like with anything

reviews you will get people who like the knives and others won't so do what you thinks best and be honest with what the knife is like in your experience

5. david77

david77

May 7, 2019
    my issue has been solved!

6. HoustonB77

HoustonB77 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Personally I always look for more of them. I have several knifes that are awesome. My 2 current favorites are my Spydiechef and a PM2. Knives for me are a revolving door though I'm always buying, selling, and trading. Sometimes I think the hunt is more fun than actually having the knife.

7. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious?

Dec 25, 2012
    My priority list goes something like this:
    1. When looking at it, I want it (this trumps everything)
    2. When using it, I love it
    3. Lighter weight is always better
    4. Thinner blade stock is always better
    5. Blade steel doesn't matter, beyond that it's at least somewhat appropriate relative to price
    #1 leads to many silly, pointless or stupid purchases (e.g. heavy folders I only very rarely will ever carry, like the ZT 0456, or pointless knives with no legitimate purpose like that Busse TGLB I just couldn't resist).

Mo2 likes this.
  8. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    In a video review , I want to see the knife in action and hear comments on how the knife performs over time for whatever purpose it claims to fulfill . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Forget the unboxing , fondling and ogling ...cut , slice , chop , stab etc !

Helpful to compare a given knife side by side with those others that would fill the same niche at a similar price point .

A long term actual use review is much better than " wow , look at this great thing I just received and don't really know :poop: about " .

katanas likes this.