What do you think about knives on school grounds?

Do you think that knives should be allowed at school? If so, should there be any restrictions? I am curious to know people's thoughts on it. I personally think that knives should be allowed at school.

I think anything should be allowed, maybe a 17 inch bowie might be somewhat disruptive to learning though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally? I think this will rapidly devolve into a conversation that probably belongs in the political arena more than GD.

However, I'm pretty much a believer in education. Knives (and, let's face it, guns) are things that Americans are likely to encounter at some point in our lives. As such, I think basic knife (and gun) safety should be taught as early as possible in schools. And proper use of DECENT kitchen cutlery should be taught to everyone at a middle or highschool level.

That said, we live in a litigious society and I completely understand and begrudgingly support school bans on knives simply because they have to CYA. What I DON'T support is so-called zero tolerance policies on such things, as a kid accidentally bringing a pocket knife to school and turning it in at the office should absolutely be treated differently than someone bringing a fighting knife with intent to harm another student.

Apologies to the mods if I already got too political on this one.

Many kids are not taught the respect it takes to responsibly carry knives (parents). I say no due to the a holes abundant in our society today.

I think knives should be allowed too, in high school and post secondary at least, and the same restrictions should apply as outside of a school.

Many kids are not taught the respect it takes to responsibly carry knives (parents). I say no due to the a holes abundant in our society today.

I'd phrase it a bit different but I agree. I wouldn't trust most adults with a sharp knife let alone a bunch of young kids. :D

On campus sheriff will hold knives for us if we accidentally bring it to school. She thinks the rules are stupid. I think atleast the law, which is slip joints under 2.5 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Allowed" doesn't sound like it has anything to do with education. When I was in school there were classes that used knives, others that used combustibles, lasers, acids, video cameras and bows & arrows. But the acids didn't appear in math class and the knives didn't go to English.

Kids have enough distractions to their education without introducing more off topic toys to the learning environment. Especially ones that can be misused so seriously by young people with still developing judgements.

I would be much more in favor of uniforms (which I'm generally against) than knives, phones, sodas, sporting goods, etc.

My school allows them, though it is not widely known. I carry iwb as to not scare the sheeple, but it is nice to know if someone makes a big deal about it I can show them right where it is allowed in the rule book.

I'm pretty much a believer in education. Knives (and, let's face it, guns) are things that Americans are likely to encounter at some point in our lives. As such, I think basic knife (and gun) safety should be taught as early as possible in schools. And proper use of DECENT kitchen cutlery should be taught to everyone at a middle or highschool level.

That said, we live in a litigious society and I completely understand and begrudgingly support school bans on knives simply because they have to CYA. What I DON'T support is so-called zero tolerance policies on such things, as a kid accidentally bringing a pocket knife to school and turning it in at the office should absolutely be treated differently than someone bringing a fighting knife with intent to harm another student.

They make rules to fit everyone at (elementary, middle, and high) schools. Hence the total restriction. As I recall I carried a small knife in school. Didn't make much of an imprint in my memory since I carried a pocket knife since I was 7. (Why 7? That is when I started to get an allowance and bought my first knife.) While it might be okay for over half of the kids in school to have a knife on them, the other half or third tend to cause problems especially in urban schools.

I definitely don't agree with the zero tolerance policy on knives and medicines.

My vote goes for No knife for kids, but okay for adults in schools to carry a knife.

Even though I used to carry a pocket knife to school and everywhere else, just like my friends, with the increased exposure to shocking behavior in movies and in the news, I Would prefer that kids leave their knives at home when attending school.

I carried a pocket knife 1-12 grade and every day since. So yes they still should.

I did also. But that in the 60's and early 70's. Boys and pocket knives just went together.

We just live in a messed up world today....and what I mean by that is the way government controls our kids and public school system. Everything they teach has a political and anti God motive behind it.

i did also. But that in the 60's and early 70's. Boys and pocket knives just went together.

We just live in a messed up world today....and what i mean by that is the way government controls our kids and public school system. Everything they teach has a political and anti god motive behind it.
lol. K.

I did also. But that in the 60's and early 70's. Boys and pocket knives just went together.

We just live in a messed up world today....and what I mean by that is the way government controls our kids and public school system. Everything they teach has a political and anti God motive behind it.

What sort of math is being taught with political and anti-God motives?

As a quick warning, might want to knock off the political and religious junk or we're unquestionably headed for a thread lock.

I moved this to Knife Laws. As long as no one brings up partisan politics, we're good.

This is one of those standard questions that comes up frequently. It's worth discussing, especially since Doug Ritter of Knife Rights has been so successful getting knife carry recognized in many states.

Just follow the laws in place now, and work towards improving them in the future.

I think they should at least be allowed to have a say classic or leatherman micra.

I would probably only let a kid have a full sized multitool if they ride a bike , scooter..ect to school otherwise some troublemaker might take his leatherman to school and take the screws out of a bathroom stall.

Back on subject - what is the purpose of a knife or any other lifestyle accessory in a school?

I'm fine with kids having knives or whatever in their private lives. School is not private life or private time - it is a time and place for the business of education.

And I brought a survival knife to school as a sophomore. My drafting teacher thought it would be a good project to do an illustration. It came with me in a pack on the bus and I handed it over to him before going anywhere else. Despite the slack I was being given, I had no interest in involving it in any part of school but that one class.

Back