What do you think about knives on school grounds?

If no civilian can buy a gun in your country criminals also can't unless they put in more effort. Thus there is an increased barrier to them having one which reduces the numbers of guns criminals have and thus the number of gun incidences.

In Germany you were able to buy a few illegal ones from the Russians at some point but they are gone since almost 2 decades. Now you have to travel to different countries and know people there. The common thief wouldn't put in that much effort or simply not be able to. He could also join a sport shooting club or study to become a hunter or cop. All not very likely scenarios and that increased barrier and reduced likely hood shows in the gun violence statistics.

Still I prefer freedom
but wouldn't call the other approaches fools without trying to understand them and maybe aknowledging aspects which are good.

Guns don't wear out and we have more than one gun for every person in the US. We didn't get disarmed after WWII, or ever. Much like Switzerland of Finland. Criminals in the US get guns through theft, the porous borders with two other gun owning countries and the guns that they are legally allowed to buy before they became criminals. Short of a 2/3 majority voting to disarm the nation door to door, guns are not going to suddenly be hard for criminals to get.

US public policy has to embrace the fact that guns are here to stay and find the best ways of coping with that, rather than pretending we can become Japan.

Guns don't wear out and we have more than one gun for every person in the US. We didn't get disarmed after WWII, or ever. Much like Switzerland of Finland. Criminals in the US get guns through theft, the porous borders with two other gun owning countries and the guns that they are legally allowed to buy before they became criminals. Short of a 2/3 majority voting to disarm the nation door to door, guns are not going to suddenly be hard for criminals to get.

US public policy has to embrace the fact that guns are here to stay and find the best ways of coping with that, rather than pretending we can become Japan.
Good points and I agree. If one would want American citizens to disarm, force would be required. Short of Commies or Nazis not really doable and nobody in their right mind would let them come to power.
Sure one could reason with the nice ones but they aren't stupid and wouldn't give up their arms before the criminals. At least I wouldn't.

In other countries with different history it's easier and I agree talking about them is rather academic though far from foolish.

Porous borders is an interesting on. It's no big problem in densely populated Europe. Maybe it's not such a problem? Its hard to picture some small criminal from Chicago travelling to Mexico to smuggle an illigal gun to rob his neighborhood at gunpoint, especially when his neighbours aren't armed themselves in a theoretical disarmed society. But maybe there are extensive crime networks who'd keep supplying even small criminals across the border and throughout the country. Or could there be another explanation?
Thank you.

Good points and I agree. If one would want American citizens to disarm, force would be required. Short of Commies or Nazis not really doable and nobody in their right mind would let them come to power.
Sure one could reason with the nice ones but they aren't stupid and wouldn't give up their arms before the criminals. At least I wouldn't.

In other countries with different history it's easier and I agree talking about them is rather academic though far from foolish.

Porous borders is an interesting on. It's no big problem in densely populated Europe. Maybe it's not such a problem? Its hard to picture some small criminal from Chicago travelling to Mexico to smuggle an illigal gun to rob his neighborhood at gunpoint, especially when his neighbours aren't armed themselves in a theoretical disarmed society. But maybe there are extensive crime networks who'd keep supplying even small criminals across the border and throughout the country. Or could there be another explanation?
Thank you.

Along with the immense amount of drugs going over the borders, plenty of stolen goods cross, too. Right now more guns get smuggled out than in, but if guns were banned in the US they would be smuggled in to sell to criminals. Like drugs, they have a high value per size and make sense as a smuggled commodity.

Nobody was talking about 5/five year olds, that was you that put that in there.

Im talking about 10 or maybe 11 year olds but, no use, nobodys opinion is the same as yours so its wrong.

Enjoy your styrofoam covered Society where nobody gets hurt.

Nobody was talking about 5/five year olds, that was you that put that in there.

Im talking about 10 or maybe 11 year olds but, no use, nobodys opinion is the same as yours so its wrong.

Enjoy your styrofoam covered Society where nobody gets hurt.

Go ahead and change everything I wrote to 10, it doesn't matter. School age is 5 to 18 years old.

I can't wrap anything in styrofoam, but you can't demonstrate who the buck stops with when a child in the care of a school does something regrettable. That's why we restrict children while they are at school.

When I was in school (North East Texas) it was a common thing for students to have a knife. From time to time the teacher would ask to borrow a knife and she'd have 6 or 7 on her desk. Kids would some time fight but no one ever got stabbed. Today, it's a different story.

I think it would be great, only if they were thought of as tools. I was raised on a farm, and to me that is what a knife is. I know for a fact, just by the look or comments people make if I pull a knife out, not everyone thinks that way. It's a shame some people automatically think weapon when they see a knife. They are one of the most useful tools around!!
I would say it depends on the grade/age. College level, definitely legal. High school, kind of tricky, not sure. Grade school, probably not.

Along the lines of what many have said, if it's legal for a student to buy one, they should be able to carry one as they please. Because I believe in most states that's 18, and makes them an adult, and they should be able to make adult decisions. Of course there will be some who are simply not mature enough, but I feel that shouldn't be the government/schools role to say no one can because of that, but a parents role to teach their child and limit their child if needed.

It is tricky though, as I'm in college myself, Carey a legal knife on campus, yet I know there is many peers I would not prefer to have the option of having a knife for various reasons, but many of them don't, simply because they don't see a need, but I am glad I'm able to.

If one would want American citizens to disarm, force would be required

We have these asinine gun turn in events in the Los Angeles area where one can turn in any gun no questions asked for a $200 food store gift card. You have more gang members turning in full auto AK47's and other guns they used in crimes and the police just take them and give them their gift card.
They want law abiding citizens to turn their guns in as well or that is their hope. Good luck!

Back