What if Cold Steel had a U.S. "Zero Tolerance"-like division?

What if Cold Steel had a USA based division and brand that worked like ZT does for Kershaw, putting out $150-$400 high quality Tri-Ad knives in steels like Elmax, etc? Do you think they'd be able to do well enough to be a good investment for Cold Steel, while providing a middle ground between CS's AUS8 lineup and Demko customs?

I think it would all have to depend if they make high quality knives,im not 100% sure of their reputation but i dont think its very positive at times so they would have to really step up and deliver.I always wondered why this forum never had a CS section,could someone explain to me?

Nah, they should just offer some decent steel like Kershaw does (S30V, 14C28N, D2, ZDP-189, ELMAX). ZT is not so much just a Kershaw with better steel, it is what many call a "tank" knife. The philosophy of over-building a knife for hard use is what ZT is about. I think they would do well with two lines under the Cold Steel name, a US and import line like Kershaw does.

I think it would all have to depend if they make high quality knives,im not 100% sure of their reputation but i dont think its very positive at times so they would have to really step up and deliver.I always wondered why this forum never had a CS section,could someone explain to me?
Just do some searching, you will find lots of negativity on here.

A big difference between Kershaw and Cold Steel is that Kershaw actually manufactures knives, whereas CS's knives are made for them.

Jim

Nah, they should just offer some decent steel like Kershaw does (S30V, 14C28N, D2, ZDP-189, ELMAX). ZT is not so much just a Kershaw with better steel, it is what many call a "tank" knife. The philosophy of over-building a knife for hard use is what ZT is about. I think they would do well with two lines under the Cold Steel name, a US and import line like Kershaw does.
I would have to agree with you here, they have some pretty decent designs, and the triad lock is a great lock mechanism, but aside from their dubious marketing (which I won't touch on) the only thing holding some of their designs back from being great, is mediocre blade steel. I would like to see some of their knives in high end steel.

Just make the recon series out of 4mm thick Vg-1,keep tri-ad , steel liners and smooth g-10 charge $100 and under. My wish.

Hello,

The Tri-Ad lock is probably as tough as a lock can get so they already have that going on. They have a few great designs, Recon1, Lawman, even the Rajah and Espada are cool to look at. They dont use the best steel or have any titanium but thats not a huge deal. They dont need titanium and a steel upgrade to some 154cm or VG10 or s30v would be an easy change. But no matter what they do or change they cant change their brand image. Imagine the videos they would put out if they opened up a hard use/ tactical division like ZT.

Have a good one,

Chris

I think to sell for ZT prices they would also have to step up there warranty/CS to the level of ZT as well. With that said, I would definitely buy a CS Recon 1 in Elmax.

I would really love it if they did this. Cold Steel makes great knives, even if their vids arent great

The real question remains. Who would Cold Steel contract to manufacture their USA-made line if they had one? Cold Steel designs and markets knives but they do not run a manufacturing operation.

I think they ought to offer their meat bicycles for sale. Now there's a niche market!

Cold Steel knives always seem over priced for the what you get. I do not deny that the Tri-ad lock is as solid as they come. Ive seen many Cold Steels with chipped and broken blades. Something is off with the steel or heat treat, and that horrible black gunk they paint on is crap. That said If I had a choice of a CS knife or no knife sure id use a CS knife, but with so many other option out there for import knives with better quality for the price to spend my money on. My s30v Blur is the same price as a recon 1 but its made in the U.S. and S30v is a great all around steel backed up with KAI rock solid warranty. That said I would defiantly give em a look if they made some US knives like KAI does with ZT. Kai and ZT just does it right if you think about how they tap in to the best/well known designer to come up with their line. When they stop making silly spears and baseball bats people might take them a bit more seriously. Baa im sleepy and knife forums keep me from sleeping and im rambling on.

A big difference between Kershaw and Cold Steel is that Kershaw actually manufactures knives, whereas CS's knives are made for them.

Jim

What does that mean ? Kershaw owns the manufacturing equipment and hires people to run it, even overseas, and CS subs it all out and just does design and quality control ? I dont understand.

I would love to see some higher-end offerings with the Tri-Ad lock.
At the same time, I like cheap knives for EDC and I think Cold Steel is doing a fine job.

I recently picked up an American Lawman and it has been my favorite EDC, especially the quality for the price.

and come on... who doesn't love Cold Steel's advertisements... haha. :p

I would love to see some higher-end offerings with the Tri-Ad lock.
At the same time, I like cheap knives for EDC and I think Cold Steel is doing a fine job.

I recently picked up an American Lawman and it has been my favorite EDC, especially the quality for the price.

and come on... who doesn't love Cold Steel's advertisements... haha. :p

If there is an Emmy for advertising....

According to Cold Steel they tried to setup some production in US after Camillus, but never worked out. I don't really see them moving their production away from Taiwan, which is fine since they could still potentially use higher end steels like Spyderco also does in Taiwan. They do note some of their materials like their G-10 are American made.

At the end of the day, I don't think the market Cold Steel is after is the audience of bladeforums. They're intended more for the average joe who want to use it like a hammer and prybar, who doesn't care about a lasting edge since no edge would likely survive their abuse anyway.

I actually think we're lucky to have a company like CS making tough man toys for a decent price. Without them you'd pretty much be left with cheap Chinese wall hangers or insanely priced customs, both of which you wouldn't likely use.

Back