What if Cold Steel had a U.S. "Zero Tolerance"-like division?

I dont think cs will ever use a high grade steel,even their black sable,caledonian,for example ,were high end knives & they still used laminated aus-8 or vg1.with all their overseas connections,why cant they get a deal with hitachi,or use ats-34-55,vg-10 ? maybe it would affect their profit margin too much or they feel the extra price would hurt sales?

As long as you have ZT using Elmax and other premium steels, in the same price point as CS's top end blades with aus-8, cold steel will remain massively inferior in value ratio

Interesting thread...

The steels people are talking about here cost 3 to 5 times what AUS-8A does just for the raw material, that doesn't include shipping it to the factory, heat treating and making knife blades out of it, all would cost more than AUS-8A does.

So the prices would go up a lot more than people would think, then start getting into better G10 and improved F&F and the cost would get even higher.

Remember what the old Voyagers cost.... And VG-1 isn't exactly an expensive steel.

I do think they would do better with something like S30V though.

Additionally, at least China charges a HUGE tariff on imported steel, because they have protectionist stance around their steel manufacturers. Not sure about Taiwan, but keeping aside the cost of shipping, working, etc. the tariff cost is so high it wouldn't be worth it, from what I've heard.

Zero

kinda cool post.

we have covered a drum as for stabbing.

what is the best steel for slicing a ham or shoulder hanging from a rope.

After the way Cold Steel has changed production locations like most of us change underwear, after the way Cold Steel left Takefu Steel holding the bag on the Voyager San Mai III epic failure, after Cold Steel punitively cut production on all VG-1 blades and hurt that same steel producer, is it any wonder that they use only steels that can be had just about anywhere? I think a smart steel company or any well run company would need to see a lot of money up front before they got in bed with the likes of Lynn Thompson and Cold Steel.

Last edited:
Additionally, at least China charges a HUGE tariff on imported steel, because they have protectionist stance around their steel manufacturers. Not sure about Taiwan, but keeping aside the cost of shipping, working, etc. the tariff cost is so high it wouldn't be worth it, from what I've heard.

Zero

Don't know about China, but they can and do get knives made in Taiwan.

Not sure what CS is doing these days....

Don't know about China, but they can and do get knives made in Taiwan.

Not sure what CS is doing these days....

My point was that perhaps much of their steel choices are dictated by where they manufacture. Japanese manufacturing facilities should have access to whatever steel they want (or close Japanese variants), I don't know about Taiwan, and for the foreseeable future, no knives made in China will sport high end foreign steel (generally speaking).

Zero

INFI

images
DANG!! BePrepared did you wax that hood before you stabed it?haha My buddy had a CS I can't remember the model. did they do somthing with gunsite or is it gunsight? Anyway,he would stab the most rediculous stuff with that knife and that knife held up very well. My buddy still has all his fingers ... well he did the last time I saw him. I have to tell ya I love watching those CS vids lmao!

Back