What is the "British Proof Test" per Cold Steel?

ERdept

Banned
I wanted to buy a inexpensive user sword and noticed the 1796 light cavalry saber from Cold Steel and in their ad it stated that the sword "passed the stringent British Proof test".

I've never heard of such a test and the search feature reveals nothing. Any idea what this is and how the sword is as a chopper? Or would you suggest any other durable (strong) cheap (sub $250) sword as a user sword.

What I mean by user is, I want to hack at a few small tree limbs and I want to be able to chop an intruders arm off if necessary to defend myself.

cliff

You can go to Cold Steel's website and order their free DVD which includes a bonus disc called "Sword Proof". The tests show how their blades must be able to bend both ways to a certain degree and spring back straight. They show the sword being held straight up and down, handle up. Behind it is a guage of some sort that shows the angle the blade is being bent to.

I'm no sword expert, but I'm sure it could hack off an arm and small tree limbs. As far as making it a user, a cheap machete may be better suited for hacking tree limbs but it is all up to you. Just my $.02

Thanks for the info. I already have a machette, but wanted a sword as a last ditch defensive weapon for when all my shotguns, rifles, and pistols were taken from me or i ran out of ammo in a SHTF situation.

Any suggestions on a tough cheap sword?

cliff

I have a khuk, but it doesn't have the reach. I'm looking for a short sword.

cliff

If remember right, the term is actually "The British Poof Test." This had something to do with CS's Lynn Thompson chasing supposedly gay Brits with a sword. :)D )

There doesn't seem to be a specific British proof test. The fact that *you* haven't previously heard of one is a tipoff: everyone would be using this if it meant anything, and you'd already have heard of it.

Apparently, there were some British tests the military used to test swords with regard to bending strength, etc., but nothing beyond what a manufacturer will do today.

Write it off as marketing fluff.

As another test, run a Google search on "british proof test" sword -cold and see what you get. Nothing, except three ads for Cold Steel products that don't mention the word "cold."

Watchful said:
There doesn't seem to be a specific British proof test. The fact that *you* haven't previously heard of one is a tipoff: everyone would be using this if it meant anything, and you'd already have heard of it.

Apparently, there were some British tests the military used to test swords with regard to bending strength, etc., but nothing beyond what a manufacturer will do today.

Write it off as marketing fluff.

As another test, run a Google search on "british proof test" sword -cold and see what you get. Nothing, except three ads for Cold Steel products that don't mention the word "cold."

I'm not sure where LT got this whole "British Proof Test" thing. I have no doubt that there is a test (specification) since the british military is like most others in that they issue a specification which includes performance guidlines that sword makers must adhere to. Is LT's "British Proof Test" part of offical issued guidelines is another question. Did he get a copy of the testing parameters from one of the Military suppliers hard to say. Is this a lot of hype in a short "YES".

So British proof test is just cold steel marketing hype. I wanted to get the 1796 light cavalry saber, but now that test is irrelevant to the toughness of the sword I wanted.

So I had heard kris cutlery was as good place to find a inexpensive user. Is this true or any other suggestions. I just don't like the HI line of long swords.

Cliff

From reading, the current test is just for rockwell hardness and flex. Nothing special they do it on purely ceremonial army sabers.

The proof test has been used by the British to demonstrate that a sword was properly heat treated.

You simply smack the sword a certain way a certain number of times. Nothing fancy, but a good test.

Ahahaha, thank you for that link, that made my day... what was he thinking... hitting a sword on the table like that... if it was more than 200 bucks id say it’s safe... but 44 dollars! I would be cautious taking it out of the box...

Edit : Watched it about 6 more times. No wonder it broke. Who makes a katana out of 440 steel? - They also have a lifetime warenty? whoes lifetime?

If memory serves me correctly, British 'Proof Testing' is a term that generally refers to firearms, or more specifically barrel testing.
You often see old English Shotguns described as 'Still in Proof', a friend that is a Gunsmith told me this generally means that the gun is still within tolerence and is safe to operate.

Doug

Edit : Watched it about 6 more times. No wonder it broke. Who makes a katana out of 440 steel? - They also have a lifetime warenty? whoes lifetime?[/QUOTE]

tee hee. The "lifetime warranty" is for the lifetime of somebody that breaks that sword like that and the tip ends up in their subclavian or carotid artery like that clown. It is also a "lifetime warranty" for the lifetime of the blade until you break it. That guy should have run in front of the camera and sprayed blood all over the lens: "OH MY GOD THE BLOOD! IT HURTS SOOOO BAD!" I can't believe he didn't swear. What a trooper.

I love that clip too. I wonder if the spirit of a Japanese bladesmith looked down on that from heaven and smiled.

Oh dear.

I have to disagree with a few people here. I have been to the Wilkinson Sword Factory in London and seen the British Proof Testing machine for swords. A full explanation of the test is mentioned in the book 'British Military Swords' by John Wilkinson-Latham. The reason for proof testing came about as during the Crimea war, swords were found to break or bend in battle. This was termed by the government as the 'Crimean Sword Scandal'. The Government decided something must be done to guarantee the performance of a British 'working' sword. It has to be said that German Swords made in Solingen were found to be far superior. Imagine a cavalry soldier on his horse stabbing at a foot soldier to find that the blade bent at 90 degrees instead of penetrating! He is stuck on his horse with nothing to fight with. If he was lucky, the tip broke of completely and are least he had something that was a bit rough and sharp! The Proof Test was devised. First the blade is put into the machine and it is subjected to a load for a period of time. This load causes the sword to bend dramatically. The sword must spring back to true with no deivation. Another test is to apply a drop hammer blow, ( a certain weight from a certain height) to the back of the sword, with the blade edge on a hardened steel face. The back of the blade must not bend, and the edge must not chip. There are other tests too, but my book is in storage. After passing the tests, the blade is polished and finish sharpened. A gold pellet was inserted into a milled depression in the blade and stamped with a symbol. IIRC Wilkinson Sword is a star. I have one of these just like this one.
1854COLDSTREAMHAMILTON3THUMBNAIL.jpg

I have 5 British proofed swords and one light cavalry pattern sabre which has been bent and straightened (rather badly). One test I do when buying a military sword is to 'wobble it'. Put the tip on the floor and press down and to the side, lift the sword and see if it wobbles. I once purchased an interesting naval sword which looked good as far as the sharkskin bound hilt with lions head pommel looked, but the blade looked a bit 'dull'. I showed it to my collector friend and he did the wobble test and the blade bent! He explained I had purchased a proper hilted sword, but with a replacement mild steel blade! He was mortified he had bent my blade, I was mortified I was so stupid. It went to auction before I moved to Canada. Now if only I had noticed, it didn't have this proof mark, as this is the pattern sword ....
1827NAVALWILKYFLATBLADE3THUMBNAIL.jpg

There is only one British Proof Testing machine for blades, it lived at Wilkinson Sword and every single military blade from any manufacturer in the UK were tested on it. I was quite in awe to see it as I had only just read the book!

'Still in Proof' on a shotgun means that the bore measured 8" from the breech is still within the tolerances at manufacture. My shotgun failed and was unsaleable in the UK. It was a great shame, as it was a 21st birthday present from a guy I was working for in 1974 and it was his fathers. The gun was a 12 bore sidelock with browed damascus barrels made by Brown Brothers of Birmingham (where I was born) and had a silver oval in the stock signifying it was superior quality.

Back