What is the "British Proof Test" per Cold Steel?

Andrew, Thanks for the info. I checked a couple of old sword books and I couldn't find anything about that test. Some books are better than others.
Very usefull bit of info, cheers.

no problem. I have only seen the test mentioned in the book British Military Swords, which was written by one of the Wilkinson family. I found this online, which describes the test.

When tempered and set before polishing it is fixed in a machine and caused to strike an oak block with a blow of 120 lb with both its edge and back, and with similar blows, but with a force of 60 ib, with both flats. These tests detect flaws, and over or under tempering, by the breakage or distortion of the blade, the blows by the flat being particularly searching tests. If the blade passes the above tests, it is then placed vertically in a machine and shortened 5 in. by bending towards each flat, and must recover perfect straightness; it is then shortened 1 in., and must recover itself when supporting a weight of 35 lb bearing on its tang. This tests the elasticity of the blade. After polishing it is again tested for stiffness as above, and must recover perfect straightness, but only under 32 lb, and for elasticity by a further shortening of 5 in., but towards one flat only.

Yes, thanks Andrew in particular for uncovering this. Sometimes people say things with such conviction that you believe their firm belief in their own opinion rather than fact.

Don't know if this is right or not, but seeing that term reminds me of the impact machines that use a small diamond point to inflict anything from a small tap to extreme levels of shock.

A company I used to work at had one, and I was told that they can be used for expensive blades to simulate any kind of real world impact.

Seeing metal parts fail on one of these is certainly a sight to behold! I'm especially reminded of one instance where someone put a ceramic test piece in there and cranked it right up :D

Could be similar to the rockwell hardness tester thinking about it.

Back