What is the classic Spyderco?

I can't remember where I first saw a Spyderco but I think it was in a movie in the 90's. At the time I actually thought it looked a little funny and I didn't really understand the design. But all these years later I find myself wanting one really bad.

The problem is being Canadian lately it's almost impossible to get anything across the boarder so I have been looking at Canadian online stores, but many don't have the most up to date selections.

At first I was looking at the Positron Brad Flipper which is a great knife and it's on sale from $374 cdn for $169. But to me IMHO it just not what I think about when I think Spyderco.

So what's the classic Spyderco? The Delica 4 Zome reminds me of what I saw in the movies but not a fan of the plastic grips. And the Para 3 a little price restrictive. Is there anything in that Sub $200 CDN range that's has the best of both worlds? Classic design and maybe a G10 handle?

Thanks for the help guys.

To me the Delica is the classic, it reminds me of the older models and is still the first knife I think of when I think Spyderco.

I like G10 scales too, but their aint nothin wrong with the FRN, and you can always upgrade later.

Make sure you buy from a good vendor, last thing you want is a fake.

I think of the Delica, Endura, Stretch, and PM2. Something with a shape like the Delica seems like classic Spyderco to me. If you don't like the FRN, I've seen them offer the Endura and Delica in stainless steel and G-10 versions.

To me the Delica is the classic, it reminds me of the older models and is still the first knife I think of when I think Spyderco.

I like G10 scales too, but their aint nothin wrong with the FRN, and you can always upgrade later.

Make sure you buy from a good vendor, last thing you want is a fake.

I'm a little worried about buying a fake to be honest as obviously I have no clue what I'm looking at. 20 years ago the options were large hole and regular hole lol. Now Spyderco seems to have hundreds of models.
In the past I have bought other brands with plastic handles like SOG. Just to feel disappointed with how the handle feels after a while. For example my Flash2 feels like im holding a kitchen knife.

I think of a Worker when I think Classic Spyderco, or their Police. I'm not sure of vendors up North so it's hard to gauge what the prices would be for you. Both models would sound like a perfect match to me, though. There's the new Worker in green G10 and a Police 4.

I think of a Worker when I think Classic Spyderco, or their Police. I'm not sure of vendors up North so it's hard to gauge what the prices would be for you. Both models would sound like a perfect match to me, though. There's the new Worker in green G10 and a Police 4.
The store i'm looking at does have the Police model 4 on sale for $277 CAD. And that style has been around since the 80's according to the discription. Maybe I should save up a little more.

Reading Combat Handgun magazine in the late 80’s and early 90’s, I remember lots of ads and talk of the Police and Endura/Delica

The store i'm looking at does have the Police model 4 on sale for $277 CAD. And that style has been around since the 80's according to the discription. Maybe I should save up a little more.

I have no first hand experience with the knife, but as I said that and the Worker were the first knives that came to mind after reading your post. The Police 4 has a K390 blade which is about as super as super steels can get. When the 4 released I know a lot of people liked 'em.

If you haven't, check and see if the Worker is to your taste. It's a smaller knife, but it's also cheaper. And I'm a sucker for the blade profile. Now if that came in K390 I think I'd own 2, haha. I could be wrong, but I believe the Worker was one of the first Spyderco's to hit the market.

I also think the original collaborations are classics. The Goddard, Terzuola and Centofante from the early 90’s. The Tuffram Civilian is up there too. Those were all my original Spydercos back in the day. I went from a SS Police, to a SE Endura, to the collabs.

Probably the Delica or PM2, with PM3 and Military following fairly close. Try as I may, I know I won’t rest until I have all four. As of noon EST tomorrow, I’ll be 3/4 of the way there.

I'm a little worried about buying a fake to be honest as obviously I have no clue what I'm looking at. 20 years ago the options were large hole and regular hole lol. Now Spyderco seems to have hundreds of models.
In the past I have bought other brands with plastic handles like SOG. Just to feel disappointed with how the handle feels after a while. For example my Flash2 feels like im holding a kitchen knife.

By from a spyderco authorized dealer.

The Paramilitary didn't even come out until '04, so its not a classic as far as the old school classics go. It has been popular since though so it's a modern classic I guess.

The original delica and endura had an integral clip.

The fiberglass reinforced nylon handled models are the quintessential Spydercos to me. I've experienced the sense of steel-lined G10 handles being superior but honestly, the FRN handles with nested liners are the best Spydercos for me because of light weight, ease of carry and smooth pocket access. My favorite "waved" opening knife is, by far, my endura. The FRN handles with the waffle grid pattern on the handles which you still see on the current SALT series is the most classic type of handle in my opinion. I agree with the above posters on Delica and Endura, and add for a third "classic" model the G10 handled Military, with the stamped blade. Fourth would be the Harpy (G10 or stainless handles) or even better, the Merlin in stylin FRN. All in-house designs I believe. Lastly, for ultra classic Spyderco points I believe a full spyderedged blade would also be on the checklist.

The canadian online store that has the Positron on sale, is an authorized Spyderco dealer. Unfortunately, Spyderco's are rather expensive up here.

Back