What is the next best thing that your knife have on it that make it perfect for you?

I don't believe in perfect, but the knife I am carrying today I love most for the handle. It's not the only important feature, but it's the one I love most.

There have been a few features on knives that have really saved the day for me in the past, like a corkscrew or a diamond file, but I wouldn't want them on all my knives. I carry knives with the features I hope are adequate for the tasks I expect to encounter that day.

For me, for normal EDC, a sharp blade is the feature I'll need to open mail, packages, sharpen a pencil, trim a broken fingernail, etc. An additional screwdriver/caplifter blade is nice. On a hunting, hiking or boating day, the features I want are different. It can even depend on the clothes I am wearing that day or what season of the year it is.

I guess I can't pin down any one feature that makes a knife perfect for me. I have several knives that I think are close to perfect -- for certain situations.

A well designed/ made clip.......one that will hold a knife securely and not be uncomfortable when holding/using.

This is one of the major reasons I sold my Umnumzaan, Sebenza 25, and now my Sebenza 31. The Sebenza 21 had a perfectly placed clip being straight along the lockbar. The end of the canted clip on the other models sits right on the knuckle joint of my middle finger making a bad hot spot.

If I was designing the perfect folding knife, blade would be about 3.5 inches in length. The grip would be ergonomically neutral so that I would not have hot spots. Ever. Picture Emerson’s CQC7 with a different blade shape and grind.

I also like the idea of offsets but, that would depend upon the type of lock the knife has.

Back