What is THE quintessential Case knife?

I'll go against the grain and say it's the medium stockman.
I've been to both Shepherd Hills stores in Missouri a number of times and I always talk with the salesman for a while and I've asked a couple times and each time whoever is working tells me they sell more if the stockman pattern than any other. As a side note I own 2 case medium stock men and 0 trappers.
I love my one medium stockman, but around here in south Texas I see WAY more trappers. I have two so far. But I would agree those are the two best sellers overall.

A “Case Knife” in my mind will always be a bone handled Medium Stockman. I guess it will vary for each person, but there are only two brands of knives still on the market where the brand name itself causes the general population to notice and know what you mean; a “Case Knife” (generic for any traditional pocketknife) and a “Buck Knife” (generic for any Lock-Back). The others are simply unknown names to the masses. OH
Case-6318-CV-Nine-dot-1981.jpg
Yeah, I love my 301, but a "Buck knife" means the 110 to me.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Case is the peanut. I don’t have one though, never have and never will. Too small and bad blade combo but it’s still what I pops in my head of when I hear Case Knives. Then my mind jumps to the copperlock, which I do have and use often.

Case is a standard, it's funny how many different Case knives pop into your mind when you think about Quintessential Pocket Knives in general. Knives such as the Sodbuster, Trapper, Peanut, Texas Jack, Canoe, and Medium Stockman all belong in any collection of Quintessential Pocket Knives. Truly Iconic. :cool::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back