What is your collection worth?

I think that if you think about it in terms of monetary value, the reality is that it is worth nothing.
Buy gold and silver.

After looking at some photos and a little public school math, I’m probably in it for 5K with a resale value of 3K.

My accumulation (I don't "collect") of 50 or 60 odd knives is comprised mainly of Rough Rider, Marbles, post 2004 Schrade/Old Timer, with a sprinkling of Buck, USA Schrade/Old Timer/Ulster, and Case, topped off with a couple GEC that were gifted to me.

I'm quite sure my entire accumulation is "worth" (at full retail) less than some spend for a single "mid tech" and/or custom knife. (and more power to 'em that have such funds.)

So what? What difference does it make? The knives I have do everything I need a knife for. :)

It actually scares me to think about it. :eek:

I started w/cheap Kershaws and CRKTs but quickly graduated to more expensive knives.

The most I've spent for a knife is around $475 and the cheapest lest than $20 but, on average, we're probably in the $100-250 range. Call it $125 on average and the 330+ knives in my collection are "worth" around $40k+ "retail."

Yes, really $40K+! Heck, my gun collection (which only includes around 20 pistols and long guns) is only worth around $20k. So, I guess I've really gone overboard w/my knife collection.

LOL! ;)

Last edited:
Actually if everything went to hell gold and silver may very well be worthless.
Food, water, weapons, and tools are things of actual worth.

I always think of "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" when I think of the real worth of gold. Not to say people shouldn't own a little gold and/or silver but its intrinsic value is based on nothing other than someone might think it's worth. Water, food, tools, weapons, ammo, shelter, clothing all have need based values.

I paid approximately $1200 for my 13 knives. I had a rule of not paying over $100 for a knife. Bought Kershwa, CRKT, etc.
I started hanging with a bad crowd online......the last knife purchase was $212 for a bailout........ Yeah I'm hooked.

I paid approximately $1200 for my 13 knives. I had a rule of not paying over $100 for a knife. Bought Kershwa, CRKT, etc.
I started hanging with a bad crowd online......the last knife purchase was $212 for a bailout........ Yeah I'm hooked.
Yep... it starts with what you can afford and then moves up to where you’re stretching the budget.. then you’re selling something to get them... I’m not kidding! I know a lot of people will say that all you need is a knife that cuts but there is something about the quality and materials that start a process of finding the perfect knife... which I believe doesn’t exist and pretty soon you find you’ve spent way too much. Then you get to the point where you start to appreciate the cheap well built knives again LOL. Anyway, it can definitely be an addicting habit for some people like me!

Retail around 22K I imagine used value around 10. Hard to say. Been buying knives since I was 10 years old. I remember being 7 and staring at the Buck display case begging my mom for a 117. Of course she wasn't having that. Definitely have been an investment of time but not profitably lol. I guess I could do better things with my time and money like drugs. Itd probably be cheaper.

I don’t know how much I’ve spent on knives over my lifetime, and don’t care. What you paid for the knives new is not what they’re worth used, anyway. I feel good about it, though, because over the past several years, I’ve been extremely picky about my knife purchases. I can even go years without buying a new knife.

If you think about it, one can wonder how much money people spend on ephemeral things, like beer, Starbucks coffee, ice cream, clubbing, etc., every year. Unless you’re buying high-end knives every other week or so, I’m betting more is spent on those other things.

I don’t think of my knives as an “investment.” I’m not betting they’ll contribute to my retirement fund. There are many instances where knife collections, lovingly accumulated by their owners over many decades, have proved worthless financially to those who inherited the collections.

Jim

Last edited:
I'd guess around $1,000. Unless, of course, you are my insurance agent then it is $10,000. That isn't fraud, it's a ... typo?

Seriously, a grand. If I had to unload on the forums, < $700.

“What’s is your collection worth?”

That is more a measure of your ability to sell, than the composition of the collection. Some people can turn a set of knives into pure gold, while others would struggle to give away the same knives.

n2s

I know what I payed for them.

Maybe 50 traditional knives total with the most expensive being $75 and most costing under $50 I'd say maybe $500 max is my total investment but don't keep track.
I don't know what they're actually worth, I'm sure some I've underpaid for on Ebay, some overpaid, and some the value has decreased with my use.
They're all intended to be used as much as I can.
Some are priceless to me though.

I don't sell my knives either, when I no longer find myself giving a knife the attention it deserves I pass it along to a good home.

Back