Reddish Bone that some Case collectors call Pretty Bone
FIbfZw2.jpg

and Red Bone which is a little harder to come by
y7Kww6f.jpg

XbpVI6g.jpg

8LRCtjK.jpg

On current offerings I prefer their Chestnut Jigged Bone
FhoVIdx.jpg

I'm not sure I have a favorite but I've noticed that Case seems to be very good at selecting Mother of Pearl slabs for their knives. I don't own one. Just going by the pictures that I've seen.

With me you often get more than you asked for.
(all these case knives I am talking about are pretty much ALL Case Large Trappers)
I will start out saying I prefer the genuine horn handles just because they are fatter. In the Case of the Genuine Stag scales they are A LOT fatter and that is a good thing while using the knife. I go back and forth with the Stag looks wise. One minute it creeps me out and another minute I love what Case does with it to produce so many colors and textures on one knife handle.
Here's the Stag with a few other slip joints
View attachment 1173839
The Black Water buffalo is pretty great to.

In the past and again just lately I am sort of embarrassed to say I have a real fascination with the White Sparxx. It is just plain old white imitation (molded) jigging texture. They are pretty thin scales (not fat). But I don't know, what can I say, there it is . . . I love the look of them.
View attachment 1173838

The Antiqued Peachseed Jigged Bone scales are very classic and have a bunch of texture to them that I crave in a knife handle so recently I have been enjoying that handle quite a lot.

The Dark Navy Blue Bone Roger's Jigged scales shown above are right up there for me. I don't think "Dark" is part of the actual color description but the scales only do it for me if they are almost black with a little blue around the edges. There for a while Case was leaving the blue scales with some sky blue and even white with the dark blue and black and for me it was . . . nah dude, nah. The last example I bought a month or so ago (not shown) was very pleasing. I am totally happy with it.

The Tony Bose / Case knives with Gabon Ebony are just so great looking ! ! !
I don't have one but I sure like to look at them.

Around Christmas I like to busssout my Dark Red Jigged Bone Trapper (shown above). All that red is a bit much the rest of the year but at Christmas I give myself permission to enjoy carrying that one. It is really beautiful. CV patinad blade natch' ;).

Finally I have to say I had quite a love affair with Chestnut but I swear the handle seemed to really fade and even show some white bone here and there that I swear was not there when I bought the knife. It has not seen any significant sun at all. I work indoors and carry the knife in a pouch always (not loose in a car or some such). Now I am just meh about the Chestnut because the dye seems to be too fugitive.

Scales when new :
View attachment 1173840

Scales not even a year later.
These photos don't do it justice . . . how pretty it was in the past and how faded it is now.
View attachment 1173841

Sorry to hear the bone's shed colour, but most bone changes particularly if left exposed to the sun.

However, isn't that actually Walnut Bone and not Chestnut??

I'm with other connoisseurs;) Old School Redbone. Contemporary it would be Chestnut Jigged or Amber (the latter varies a great deal though)
I steer clear of the brighter stuff and most CASE Stag is pretty tame...but it can be nice when well matched.

Original, early 1920's to WW2 era green bone, followed by same era red bone!
John

Bass pro carries a line of Case' that is burnt amber bone with their logo that is probably my favorite. I also seem to prefer pretty much any type of bone as long as it's corncob jigged.

Favorite Case handle material?
When Case gets it right their Jigged Bone is the best! Their Stag has been nice at times too.

These turned out well and are some of my favorites.
Top to Bottom; Bone Stag, Stag and Antique Bone
jXgtIIj.jpg

Almost matching aren't they?

But my absolute favorite Case handle material... well, today I'm thinking that it is their Jigged Chestnut Bone!
ti8BJJw.jpg

(EDIT; Please try to ignore the oil on the blade and bolster, thanks. :oops:)

Last edited:
When Case gets it right their Jigged Bone is the best! Their Stag has been nice at times too.

jXgtIIj.jpg

But my absolute favorite Case handle material... well, today I'm thinking that it is their Jigged Chestnut Bone!
ti8BJJw.jpg
All of those are gorgeous.

jXgtIIj.jpg

ti8BJJw.jpg

(EDIT; Please try to ignore the oil on the blade and bolster, thanks. :oops:)
Nice examples of each. :cool::thumbsup:

I worked on this today and was very pleased with the result. A CASE Half-Whittler (unfortunately, they've adopted 2 springs for this pattern, formerly it was a Penknife construction) It came with the most horrible colour bone I've ever seen on a knife. Meant to be Burnt Salmon Bone, a kind of grilled orange/ochre right? Wrong! It came a horrible light pink with white at the edges, grotesque. I gave it a few tea baths, some improvement but still anaemic cat-barf style..:eek:

I mixed up some potash solution to darken a Stag knife or two and had a small saucepan of it left over. The Stag knives had been painted with the solution, dries, wiped down and oiled. I left the CASE in it overnight:D Good job it was stainless..it emerged a copper/purple colour, the brass&stainless had oxidised copper in colour, blackened etc. Well, bit of metal polish, wash down and some oiling and I think it looks a good colour, kind of toffee/chocolate.

New candidate :D

tyXAme3.jpg

Thanks Al.:cool: Pleased with it but I wouldn't risk this approach with a carbon knife or a greatly prized specimen....turned out well but potash really stains up stuff:eek:

Back