What is your grail folding knife?

Spyderco Military in H1 steel. But they don't make it yet though.

Would have to be a big thicker near the pint or have swedge on the tip end above the point for sturdiness,

Something similar to this H1 Salt 1 mod by Krein Regrind:

DSC00605.JPG

Of if CRK would have one in H1 steel

I know you have been around knives a while and have had many pass thru your hands, so I would be curious to know why you like H1 steel so much? Just the fact it absolutely won't rust? Are you around saltwater a lot? The lack of edge holding doesn't bother you?

If it's because of corrosion resistance then there would be other parts that would need to be addressed like the liners, clip, screws and maybe phosphor bronze washers (not sure if they can oxidize?) and would end up a Military or CRK salt. Unless it's for another reason?

I've had a few Salt knives and bought a replacement as soon as I lost one. It's nice to have a knife that won't rust as a boat or beach knife. But mine end up being beaters and cut bait and stuff not great for a knife when on a boat and it's usually dull so it gets forced thru stuff. Being in Florida and an outdoor person I end up on the water or at the beach without much notice so I actually use a Salt 1 as a money clip so it's always with me at the bottom of my pocket. But I like a sharp knife and the H1 dulls so quick that I wouldn't be able to use it as an EDC for very long and I like something a bit higher end than FRN these days. I've also given quite a few as presents to fishing friends and family and end up sharpening them quite a bit. My experience is that it dulls after very little use, even after lots of sharpening to get into new steel and that also can help work harden it supposedly. Just wondering if I've had bad luck or if that isn't as important to you?

Sorry to go off subject and this got so wordy but I am curious what makes it a grail steel?

Thanks!

I think my grail would probably be a Ron Lake tail lock folder. It would definitely have to be one with a golden toothpick though, that's a must!

WVDKuSs.jpg

You know even though price is no object. No other knife is interesting me more than the spyderco domino. Its kinda hard to find around here though

Goes to show how different strokes work for different folks--the Domino is one of the few knives I've purchased that I actively loathed. Hated that thing, even forcing myself to carry for an extended period couldn't make me warm up to it.

As far as grail knife, I don't really need any more knives but I wouldn't mind a Southard AWT if I could find one.

Bob Lum Folding Tanto - G10 or micarta handles, thumb stud instead of the hole and a tip up clip.

Unlike some people, my grails actually exist -- I just can't afford them. I'd love a custom G&G Hawk Deadlock and a custom Demko AD-15. I love folding knife mechanics.

There will never be a "grail" knife for me, as one knife will never be able to accomplish all tasks I want exceptionally.

Young grasshopper, the grail shall appear when the hand does not need a grail to cut. Nor want a grail to own. For when the mind is free of want and enlightened past the ignorance of "grail worthy" one will see past the deception of there being an actual grail to obtain.

I don't know. My GEC 73 in stag is pretty close. Then again it is one of these depending on the day and all of them everyday.

Full-Ti front flipper frame lock knife with a 3.5” long 0.11” thick LC200N Wharncliffe blade, which has high hollow grind to the edge thickness of 0.06”. The fit and finish as good or better than Sebenza, and as study. Oh and busing pivot. Tip-up clip.

Miso

I'm curious as to what your grail folding knife is, assuming price is no object.

newknife1,

Pretty much this :

I could be even happier with some extra mother steel like M4 or M390 but you know what ? . . . this VG-10 is pretty darn adequate for what I have been doing with it and that’s saying something !

The whole story is here.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...t-or-My-Continuing-Search-For-An-Adequate-EDC

I have been EDCing a knife in the other pocket worth over twice as much as this one and it is a world beater but if I had to choose . . . I might let it go and keep this one.

PS: with both of them I'm so happy I can't staaaaannnit.

I hear that. The Domino (while not my grail) is in my top five.

Yup, it's a great folder. Checks a lot of boxes for what I like in a folder.

Grail knives (or top of the heap) for me are.. Rockstead Sai, Shirogorov full custom, JG scout/ranger/Barlow.

Others that are more in my reach.. CRK Ti-lock elemental, and Case-Bose collaboration 2016.

I gotta a lot of knives I want to spend my money on, just not a lot of money.

I don't have one. A true grail knife would be to precious to actually use and therefore of no use. I'll take a high end folder that has honest wear. When I'm gone my kids will hang on to and use a family heirloom that was "Dad's knife".

Back