What is your most special knife - A GAW

I'm sure I've told my Swiss Army Pre-Raphaelite story, so I'll spare you.

I've never heard your "Swiss Army Pre-Raphaelite story," please do not spare me ;) I'd like to hear it.

Entry for @Misplaced Hillbilly for the @waynorth seahorse.

dadstuff.jpg

dadknifeback.jpg

What a great knife to have. Best of all that it got so much use and was so customized. When I was looking at the pictures at first I was like "wow, that it really pocket worn bone" and then I saw the epoxied scale replacement! That is neat.

Now, to make it even more special, a few years back I was in financial straights and decided, painfully, to sell this knife. This was well before the price of GECs skyrocketed on the secondary markets, yet I still got a princely sum for selling it. When I contacted the buyer for shipping info, he told me he realized what the knife meant to me, and said to keep both the knife and the payment! Needless to say, this is now a VERY special knife to me, and will never be let go.

F4fMtyY.jpg

That was a heck of a good deed on the part of that almost buyer. That is a knife that has taken care of you for sure.

Last year I got in touch with Big Biscuit as I had a surplus Boy's 15 in jigged bone I thought he would like. I told him it was simply a gift and wanted nothing back, but he ignored me. Almost exactly a year ago, received a very nice package from him with this fine BB Winchester Sowbelly, a beautiful Bison leather pouch-which I often use and a US Half Dollar as I'd often commented on the beauty of your American coins. It's poignant for me and naturally others, that Bob died not very long after this, he was a Forum friend and comrade and this makes this knife very special for me yet in a happy not mournful way. With respect Bob.:thumbsup:

elQUG5f.jpg

Bob is truly missed here. It is good to have a memento of his.

When I came home from my second tour in the sandbox I took some of the savings and commissioned these knives for my brother and myself. Each of us got one. I figure it's the only heirloom I'm passing down.

Knives by Tim Hartman of New Mexico, engraving by the late great Ron Nott, photo by Coop.
ngz72Vt.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek: That is one out of this world mindbogglingly beautiful triad of knives. Those are special indeed.

So as you can see this Old Timer has seen a lot of good honest use. It's the only knife I ever remember him owning. I normally get it out every once in a while to wipe it down and reminisce a little. Those were grand times. He and I were really close. He passed away in 1968, I was fourteen years old. All of us grandkids were out on the front porch after the funeral service when my grandmother called me over to the side. She held out her hand, I reached out and she dropped his Old Timer into my hand. I will never forget as long as I live what she said. Bill would have wanted you to have this! The Good Lord only knows you aggravated him enough about it, it should be yours. :)

I feel confident your Grandfather would have been happy that the knife went to you. That was a very good story.

Thanks for the neat GAW!

I thought about what knife I'd keep and it came down to one. My son gave me a knife when he was 5. He suggested it and my wife took him to the antique mall. She really wanted the sterling sliver watch pocket knife but he picked this
View attachment 991473
And he was right!

I look forward to one of my kids hopefully getting me a knife some day. I know it will be a special one for me as well if that day comes.

I have 2 knives that I would not part with, the first is the knife that my dad always carried when we went camping. the second is the first real knife I got, an SAK Alox pioneer.

Ah, you're cheating, tsk tsk. You've got to pick just one ;)

I’ve posted this picture before but I like it and it’s been awhile. This knife was my Grandad’s knife he gave to me in 1997. I was bow hunting out at his place in Montana and he handed it to me and told me it was time to pass it on. He bought it brand new right before he shipped out in the Seabee’s headed to Okinawa in WW II. I’ve heard vague stories about Okinawa and know the knife actually saw some action. I tried to get him to tell me about it but he would never say much.

In the next chapter of its life that knife has taken care of moose, caribou, deer, Antelope, fish and who knows what else. Back in the 70’s he left it next to a gut pile from an Antelope he shot. He drove back over 60 miles the next day over a two track to go get it. I’ve taken it on many hunts since I got it from him and I’ve been fortunate enough to use it on moose, deer, Antelope and bear. Someday my daughters can fight over it or possibly give it to a grandchild if I ever have any.

There’s not anything you could offer that would make me give this one up. Grandad is 101 now, but 11 years ago I used that knife on his last deer he shot at 90.

36_A55442-_CCDA-4_E5_F-89_C7-098_D2_C566_F40.jpg

What a knife to have. I can certainly understand why your grandfather went back for it when he forgot it by the elk guts. That is certainly something special.

Thanks for the opportunity; I'm in for the Lone Wolf. If I could only keep one knife in my collection, here's the one knife I would never part with.

Well I can understand why you didn't opt for the seahorse ;) It is certainly meaningful that your wife went through the work of finding a knife for you and keeping the purchaser a surprise.

Great entries everyone. The random selection is going to be the only easy part of picking the second winner.

I've never heard your "Swiss Army Pre-Raphaelite story," please do not spare me ;) I'd like to hear it.
Dad had to travel to Europe for work in 1967. So he travelled free, kids were half price, and only Mom was full price. Why not? The main thing was getting there, because Europe on Five Dollars a Day was still fairly current. We crossed both ways on the TS Bremen. Leaving in September, we rented a VW bus converted to a caravan /camper and drove around southern England for three weeks. (I trust it was the cheapest caravan they had.) Then three months on Eurail Pass and then a month in London. In London we went to a Pre-Raphaelite exhibit, probably at the Tate, that had everything Pre-Raphaelite. Everything I've seen illustrated anywhere since, I remember from that exhibit. There was an area with paintings and poems illustrating each other, including Tennyson's Sir Lancelot and Queen Guinevere opposite a painting of a Maying party at the edge of a wood.
What got me was the lines, "A man had given all other bliss, and all his worldly wealth for this; to waste his whole heart in one kiss, upon those perfect lips". What?
At ten years old, I wouldn't have given my new Swiss Army Knife for any number of kisses upon anybody's anything.
Honestly, I might still feel that way, but at least I get it now.

Dad had to travel to Europe for work in 1967. So he travelled free, kids were half price, and only Mom was full price. Why not? The main thing was getting there, because Europe on Five Dollars a Day was still fairly current. We crossed both ways on the TS Bremen. Leaving in September, we rented a VW bus converted to a caravan /camper and drove around southern England for three weeks. (I trust it was the cheapest caravan they had.) Then three months on Eurail Pass and then a month in London. In London we went to a Pre-Raphaelite exhibit, probably at the Tate, that had everything Pre-Raphaelite. Everything I've seen illustrated anywhere since, I remember from that exhibit. There was an area with paintings and poems illustrating each other, including Tennyson's Sir Lancelot and Queen Guinevere opposite a painting of a Maying party at the edge of a wood.
What got me was the lines, "A man had given all other bliss, and all his worldly wealth for this; to waste his whole heart in one kiss, upon those perfect lips". What?
At ten years old, I wouldn't have given my new Swiss Army Knife for any number of kisses upon anybody's anything.
Honestly, I might still feel that way, but at least I get it now.

That sounds like a pretty amazing trip, and an outstanding art exhibit to see. I can't imagine many ten year olds would give up a SAK for a kiss :)

Gaaah....total brain overload just thinking about it....:rolleyes::D
Not an entry:thumbsup:
Cheers
Good luck.
Not even gonna try Meako? Because I feel like if anyone gets to call themselves a denizen of Porchenburg, it's you. I mean, you coined the word Porchenburg didn't you?

I'll bump this thread again. Of course, folks odds are better if the entries stay fewer... just a few more days to go.

abbydaddy abbydaddy , thanks for the generous, creative, informative (in the sense of hearing others' fascinating stories, including your incredible tale), and challenging (in the sense that, like you, I'm loathe to part with MANY of my knives and thus struggled to decide on what to keep to the bitter end) GAW!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Although I'd be more than happy with either of the prize knives if I were a fortunate winner, in the spirit of hard choices I'll say I have a slight preference for the Lone Wolf.

I forgot to mention that I'd prefer not to enter this giveaway. However, I'll offer my entry to 5K Qs 5K Qs , due his own constant generosity.
Joshua, what sort of shenanigans are you up to here?? ;) I appreciated your very thoughtful story and the moral you drew from the situation, and I'm honored, and grateful, that you would "cast your lot" in the GAW in my direction. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

As I mentioned, I have so many knives I don't really want to part with, most of them being gifts of one kind or another. For example, 2 of the knives I carry every single day are the Euler's Identity scrimshaw Rough Rider stockman that @r8shell gifted me, and the chestnut jigged bone CV Case Sodbuster Jr that I won in a BigBiscuit GAW he ran to ask for prayers before he was hospitalized for the first time. I also have 6 knives I bought as souvenirs when I went to visit my daughter living in Spain, and the memories attached to those are priceless! (She also bought several other Spanish knives that she gave me as gifts over the years, and I'd never part with those.) So in a real world sense, I can't narrow it down to a single "last knife standing"; there are many knives that I'd never give up. :eek::(

So I'm really just playing as a thought experiment, and pretending that somehow I'm in circumstances so dire that only one knife would remain. I decided to answer using principles of seniority: first in, last out. So my nominee is the first knife I ever owned. I got this Colonial Forest-Master around 1960 when I was 8 or 9. I carried it every day on the dairy farm until I left for college in 1969. Used it to cut a LOT of baler twine from bales of hay and straw; whittled wiener sticks and apple slingers and little shims and "guns" and "knives" and cars and boats; carved initials and other important messages; opened bottles of pop, cans of paint, grease tubes for the grease gun, oil cans; drove screws and pulled nails; bored holes in belts and milking straps; just generally used (and occasionally abused) it almost every day, and I don't remember ever cutting myself, at least not badly! :eek:
(The bail in the picture is not the original; I lost that somewhere in life, and made the one that's pictured out of an S-hook I bought for toilet repair.)

IMx0aU6l.jpg

Thanks again for the fascinating GAW, and best wishes to all the entrants! :D:D

- GT

abbydaddy abbydaddy , thanks for the generous, creative, informative (in the sense of hearing others' fascinating stories, including your incredible tale), and challenging (in the sense that, like you, I'm loathe to part with MANY of my knives and thus struggled to decide on what to keep to the bitter end) GAW!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Although I'd be more than happy with either of the prize knives if I were a fortunate winner, in the spirit of hard choices I'll say I have a slight preference for the Lone Wolf.

Joshua, what sort of shenanigans are you up to here?? ;) I appreciated your very thoughtful story and the moral you drew from the situation, and I'm honored, and grateful, that you would "cast your lot" in the GAW in my direction. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

As I mentioned, I have so many knives I don't really want to part with, most of them being gifts of one kind or another. For example, 2 of the knives I carry every single day are the Euler's Identity scrimshaw Rough Rider stockman that @r8shell gifted me, and the chestnut jigged bone CV Case Sodbuster Jr that I won in a BigBiscuit GAW he ran to ask for prayers before he was hospitalized for the first time. I also have 6 knives I bought as souvenirs when I went to visit my daughter living in Spain, and the memories attached to those are priceless! (She also bought several other Spanish knives that she gave me as gifts over the years, and I'd never part with those.) So in a real world sense, I can't narrow it down to a single "last knife standing"; there are many knives that I'd never give up. :eek::(

So I'm really just playing as a thought experiment, and pretending that somehow I'm in circumstances so dire that only one knife would remain. I decided to answer using principles of seniority: first in, last out. So my nominee is the first knife I ever owned. I got this Colonial Forest-Master around 1960 when I was 8 or 9. I carried it every day on the dairy farm until I left for college in 1969. Used it to cut a LOT of baler twine from bales of hay and straw; whittled wiener sticks and apple slingers and little shims and "guns" and "knives" and cars and boats; carved initials and other important messages; opened bottles of pop, cans of paint, grease tubes for the grease gun, oil cans; drove screws and pulled nails; bored holes in belts and milking straps; just generally used (and occasionally abused) it almost every day, and I don't remember ever cutting myself, at least not badly! :eek:
(The bail in the picture is not the original; I lost that somewhere in life, and made the one that's pictured out of an S-hook I bought for toilet repair.)

IMx0aU6l.jpg

Thanks again for the fascinating GAW, and best wishes to all the entrants! :D:D

- GT

I am impressed that you still have the first knife you ever owned! God knows I lost all of my early knives. Heck, I even lost the knife that inspired this thread, even though it came back to me. You must have been a more conscientious child than I.

One more day everyone, if you want a chance, enter today.

Hey Dwight.
I have found it but am absolutely under the pump time wise until next week.
Moved digs
Learning a new job.
Trying to remember lines for 2 plays I'm appearing in.
Long story short it's my Case Bose cattleknife...My most costly one to date(I treated myself when I got my retirement pay out 3 yrs ago...it worked at 37bux a year over 30 yrs) that plus it's a beautiful knife.
IF I had to choose.:thumbsup::eek::D

Hey Dwight.
I have found it but am absolutely under the pump time wise until next week.
Moved digs
Learning a new job.
Trying to remember lines for 2 plays I'm appearing in.
Long story short it's my Case Bose cattleknife...My most costly one to date(I treated myself when I got my retirement pay out 3 yrs ago...it worked at 37bux a year over 30 yrs) that plus it's a beautiful knife.
IF I had to choose.:thumbsup::eek::D
Thanks my friend. A wonderful choice for sure. I was smitten by the Case Bose bug this summer too! Sounds like you are rocking it mate and I'm very glad to hear it. I'm fixing a "forty-creek" in your honor and toasting to your stage success Jon. Cheers my brother.

Alright! It is time to figure out our winners. And with a random number the first result is...
View attachment 997526
Wow! It is a valid entry right first time! Congrats Neko2 Neko2 You have won the Case Seahorse!

Now we move on to the purely arbitrary portion. I was having a hard time picking, but then I realized I could narrow it down by just looking at the people who wanted the Lone Wolf. But then I still had a hard time picking. Then I had a group of entries I favored, and I thought about going random again, but I said it was going to be my choice, so no random. Then I was going to force my wife to choose, but she is asleep... So I thought on it some more. I narrowed it down to two choices, and one of the entries didn't explicitly state a preference for the Lone Wolf, so I went with... waverave waverave

Waverave, I picked your entry for the artwork, and the connection to the spirit of generosity on this forum, and honestly, because you have been a pleasure to have bouncing around on the forum since you showed up. Enjoy the Lone Wolf.

Alright! It is time to figure out our winners. And with a random number the first result is...
View attachment 997526
Wow! It is a valid entry right first time! Congrats Neko2 Neko2 You have won the Case Seahorse!

Now we move on to the purely arbitrary portion. I was having a hard time picking, but then I realized I could narrow it down by just looking at the people who wanted the Lone Wolf. But then I still had a hard time picking. Then I had a group of entries I favored, and I thought about going random again, but I said it was going to be my choice, so no random. Then I was going to force my wife to choose, but she is asleep... So I thought on it some more. I narrowed it down to two choices, and one of the entries didn't explicitly state a preference for the Lone Wolf, so I went with... waverave waverave

Waverave, I picked your entry for the artwork, and the connection to the spirit of generosity on this forum, and honestly, because you have been a pleasure to have bouncing around on the forum since you showed up. Enjoy the Lone Wolf.
Wow thank you!!! I really appreciate the kind words it has been a pleasure bouncing around this forum :) Congratulations Neko2 Neko2 and thanks again abbydaddy abbydaddy for the Lone Wolf and great GAW.

Congrats everyone, and again thanks for the opportunity we had to share and enjoy this giveaway. Now, if you use these knives, pics are always welcome. :D:thumbsup:

Back