Recommendation? What knife for hiking, foodprep and light bushcraft

Which knife for hiking, foodprep, light bushcaft

• Total voters
The easier choice would be to go with a carbon steel blade. They are cheaper and they really don't require a ton of care. Do your best to keep them dry and oil them after a camping trip. Store them outside of the kydex or leather when not in use. Plus they are easy to sharpen.

Look at the Terava Jaakaripuukko 110mm or 140mm. It has a nice dangler sheath. Pair that with a stainless steel Mora HD. A Mora only weighs a few ounces. I always hike/camp with one as a food prep and backup knife.

ESEE and Kabar/Becker are still an option as you mentioned.

If you have your heart set on stainless... linked from KC for easy reference.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/LN...ce-green-canvas-micarta-handle-leather-sheath

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS...ewashed-blade-kray-ex-handle-secure-ex-sheath

We also have several makers here that are based in Europe.
https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/for-sale-fixed-blades.754/

Check out Jesse Jarosz knives. He might have something you like.
I know not what you asked about but sometimes it's good to look around.
Sheath not included but I bet he can point the way.
I have a couple of his knives and pretty pleased.
Good luck regardless!
Cheers

(Apologies, long post incoming)

I do have to start out with another nod to CPK like a few others suggested, they really are superior. My FK2 and DEK have replaced all that came before as primaries for all things outdoors. Moving on though as they are outside your budget.

EESE-4 is a good knife, and I don’t feel is as hard to care for as you’re thinking. I’ve used mine a lot and don’t do much other than generally not let it sit around wet, and clean it after extended use, it’s still in perfect shape. The EESE is also rock solid and going to handle abuse/batoning without batting an eye. My only issue against the EESE-4 is the shortness of the handle. When pressing down with my thumb on the blade for leverage, the end of the handle is pressing into my palm rather than extended past the end. I can’t comment on a -5 as I’ve never held one to know if it’s better. I also have a -3, (same size handle) and agree with @GB940Rookie that the thinner blade is a bit more practical for most camping tasks, unless you’re more about hacking up firewood/shelter construction, then the -4 is better.

I have a F1 Fallkniven, also a great knife but honestly haven’t used it nearly as much as my others so experience is lacking to give it specific comment.

Someone suggested a Helle Temagami, another great knife. I’ve used this and a Helle Gaupe quite a lot outdoors. Their handle ergos are really great and a joy to use for extended periods. I wouldn’t baton with a Gaupe, but the Temagami is full tang so is good to go. These are scandi grind compared to the above suggestions so different in that respect, but a scandi does have some pros for certain outdoor tasks. (Oddly, for having a lot of knives, I don’t get too hung up on grind types. Any good sharp knife is going to cut most things regardless of grind type.)

All that said, my actual recommendation is going to follow those that have said Mora. I have many Moras and considering the price, you simply can’t go wrong. Seeing as you are just starting out, this gives you a chance to learn what you like and dislike and your most common use cases before you get into something more expensive. IMHO everyone that spends time in a “bushcrafting” capacity should own a Mora Companion. They are great for most tasks, excellent for food prep, and you can get them in stainless or carbon steel to check out pros and cons of that as well. Best of all, entry level Moras have a price point that almost makes them disposable without issue. For a bit more money I’d recommend a Mora Garberg. Another excellent knife, full tang, that I have used a lot outdoors and has performed very well. A Garberg surprisingly batons wood very well. Mora sheath options also lend themselves well to different carry configurations. I recommended a Garberg to a friend recently who was also just starting out and he’s been very happy with it.

I’d say any of the knives that have been recommended in this thread are going to easily handle almost any task you throw at them when just starting out. The important thing is to just go with one and get started. Unfortunately it is only through experience and use that you will really be able to zero in on what you need, what works best for you and what you prefer and value most in an outdoors knife. Forum suggestions and reviews are indeed helpful but, your personal sweet spot needs to be discovered.

P.S. if you’re progressing to overnights, consider a small folding saw and maybe an axe. Your knife is not always the right tool for the job (it pains me to say that :))

Last edited:
Welcome to BF. :)

I voted "Other".

A Buck 110 or Old Timer 6OT/7OT has never failed me when in the sticks and boonies since roughly 1968.
I've never feet "under knifed", or wished I had a different belt knife along.
Vinnie of 'Vinnie's Day Off' over on You Tube did a review of the Buck 110, in which he used it to make his shelter.
You should check some of his videos out. :)

I own and use carbon steel knives a lot, I never had issues with corrosion, all you need to do is wipe it dry/clean and put some oil on it before storing it.

Carbon steel is generally tougher and takes an edge very easily while holding it decently.

It will also reward you with patina if that's your thing.

I think the knives that you mentionned are great options. As Python 324 said, it is important that you choose a knife that appeals to you by its aesthetics. That's a huge part of the experience, to have a nice tool with you and that you enjoy working with. At a certain price the quality of a knife should be able to handle light bushcraft tasks even when it's NOT full tang: look for example the Buck 119 - a classic allround knife that can split wood as easy as slicing a tomato. 440C, VG1, VG10, 420HC they are all great and have their advantages. Just don't buy any limited edition fantasy junk or some cheap copy of a famous knife. Since you can spend up to 200$ you have a very large choice between many many good blades.

I'd say Fallkniven S 1 pro!! Buy once, cry once. Lifetime warranty with pro line. LamCoS steel is easy to sharpen n holds an edge well. Pro package comes with a Sharpening stone. They also have a couple of new models out too! Have a look! Good luck with your search!

I voted "other" because I saw you live in Croatia. You should link up with Daado. He's a talented knife maker in Croatia and a great guy to boot. His knives really stand out and don't break the bank. He can even make you a knife according to your wishes. He is on Blade Forums Knife Maker's Market. I have a heap of his knives and all are great users.
As an example, here is an EDC set of his stag handled knives :
Ep937LK.jpg

And here, a set of outdoor knives with turkish walnut root handles :
7GyQDnX.jpg

Sometimes I wonder on forums if posters read the entirety of the ask/thread before posting :confused:
I would vote other since you are just beginning and look at a Mora. They have a great reputation and come in both stainless and non stainless. I think learning to care for a knife is part of bushcrafting also. Once you get a feel for what you will like doing/not doing/are comfortable with, than get a more expensive knife.

I would add a Mora, regardless of your bush crafting knife choice, to reserve it for food prep or other fine cutting. It is a simple inexpensive light weight solution that can make things easier for you.

Your initial suggestion of either an Esee or Fallkniven knife is good. Obviously, there are many good knives out there, but you are not going to be disappointed with these two and either will serve you well for many years.

Knives are just tools. Eventually you may find that whatever you are doing with your knives would be easier to do with something else, but that doesn't take away from your current knives. It all comes down to the task, your skills, and your preferred method for completing that task. There is no one all around best knife; so it is better to concentrate on buying good tools so that you eventually have a reliable variety available to pick the ones most likely to meet the expected requirements for the specific outing.

n2s

Im going to recommend a limited time knife, because it is available right now.

Scrapyard Knives WS-1020.

Satin finish for 89. Only $114 with a sheath right now.

Only $79 for coated blade.

Steel is Sr101 (52100 ball bearing steel with proprietary heat treat). Made by Busse Combat. Absutely stellar warranty.

Thin, light, tough. Amazingly comfortable handle. Resiprine C is the handle material. I've never found a tougher "soft material". Head and shoulders above krayton and other rubber handles I've used over rhe years.

Head and shoulders tougher steel than 1095 or 440C.

Will only be available for a short time.

Esse has a stellar warranty as well. So they are not a bad choice. I have many knives in 1095 (by other companies) and enjoy the steel.

440c is also a great user steel.

Let us know what you choose.

Last edited:
I would get an Esee 4 but in Carbon steel or a Benchmade Bushcrafter. I have both. I just bough a Carothers which I prefer to either but is more $$.

the Esee is coated, aside from the blades edge. Put some chapstick or whatever oily/waxy substance you have on the edge and it won’t rust. Also, they don't come with a leather sheath which helps because plastic doesn’t hold moisture. The Benchmade is stainless.

P Python324

I like ESEE, but I would suggest the 3 over the 4. The 3 has a slightly thinner blade. More practical.
I was going to say the same thing. I have both and while the 4 is really nice and does a great job at most tasks, the 3 is better at tasks you are more likely to be doing like food prep, utility, and bushcraft. It will handle light batoning just fine but the 4 being thicker and heavier it will handle more abuse. The 3 now comes in S35vn which is a great all around tough stainless steel (once considered the bees knees).

I'm not a fan of how falkniven runs their company or supports their product. I've looked at their knives many times and stayed away.

Other options mentioned I would also consider are Becker (BK16 or BK62, though not stainless), whiteriver, and of course the lowly mora could get you started on the cheap.

I voted "other" because I saw you live in Croatia. You should link up with Daado. He's a talented knife maker in Croatia and a great guy to boot. His knives really stand out and don't break the bank. He can even make you a knife according to your wishes. He is on Blade Forums Knife Maker's Market. I have a heap of his knives and all are great users.
As an example, here is an EDC set of his stag handled knives :
Ep937LK.jpg

And here, a set of outdoor knives with turkish walnut root handles :
7GyQDnX.jpg

I really like this option too! Spending the money in country can make it go much further!

I went through this recently as well and went with an estwing sportsman's hatchet, a cold steel AD10 and folding fiskars saw. Been very happy with the combo so far, I think one knife is all you need. A hatchet it much more useful than a large knife, IMO. Fixed or folding something 3.5-4.5" seems to be the sweet spot.

[QUOTE="Keyopp, post: 20104192, member: 343044]

...P.S. if you’re progressing to overnights, consider a small folding saw and maybe an axe. Your knife is not always the right tool for the job (it pains me to say that :))[/QUOTE]

Agreed. An axe and/or saw will make things much easier.

I picked a saw that disassembles and the blade is stored in the handle. I think it is called a Sven folding saw. You can get it at REI.com or Amazon. Still in the market for an axe.

I replied earlier in this thread and recommended a Mora.

It is not what I own but, I would still recommend it. It is a great place to start and also makes a great back up knife.

A Benchmade 162 Bushcraft is what I ended up with. Handle ergonomics are amazing. I have found the blade a little thick for food prep but the knife has never let me down.

If I was doing it again, I think something from CPK would be my first choice.

I’m not sure if it’s still available but, Boker knives has something called a field butcher. It is basically a chefs knife designed for field use.

Back