What knives do women prefer for edc?

GPyro

Gold Member
I doubt there are many ladies here. If there are kudos to you!
I have various females in my life I'd like to get a knife for edc....... But what knife would be a good choice?
Mature responses encouraged.
Thanks!

There are several threads on this topic in General Knife; but, since you posted in the Buck specific forum I won't link to them. If I were to get a Buck knife for a woman, it would likely be the blue 55 from C&C, or maybe a 506.

I carry a Swiss army knife because it's tools are so useful. I carry a Buck 501because its easy to open and locks for safe use. I carry a Case medium stockman with an awl because of that one useful tool and also it's easy to open. If you can reason why a knife is good for you, you will be able to reason why it would be good for someone else.

I gave my wife a 444 years ago that she has carried in her purse since, I also more recently gave her a 501 which she carries. These were not necessarily her choices just what I gave her. She may have asked for a knife when I gave her the 444 but that's been to long ago to recall.
I have given my adult daughters some knives, but they don't desire to carry, even as much as they are outdoors???
For me a knife shorter than the 501 is just too small.

I gave my granddaughter a red 112 slim select engraved and she loves it. She started college this year and I think mostly she has it in her backpack but when she goes fishing or outdoor activities it’s clipped in her pocket. It’s light and thin for easy and discreet carry yet strong , locks open and has enough blade to handle a lot of tasks. When she opened the box and dumped it out her face lit up with exuberant surprise. She immediately started thumbing it open and closing it, checking it over and said it’s perfect! That’s all the thanks I needed but with a big hug she said I can’t wait to go fishing with you and try it out. So far she is the only one of my several girls in my family that seems to have any interest in a knife and using it.

A few years ago after I got married I gifted my wife a knife of her own. I let her pick out whatever she wanted and told her not to worry about price. I learn women are very different from us men. We probably tend to go with utilitarian use, and types of steel and handle materials. My wife chose a Buck Bantam 285 in PINK camo. She always keeps it in her purse and occasionally carries in the pocket when wearing jeans.

My wife carries a small drop-point side-opening auto, but her favorite of my knives are the DLT Trading exclusive 501's.

A few years ago after I got married I gifted my wife a knife of her own. I let her pick out whatever she wanted and told her not to worry about price. I learn women are very different from us men. We probably tend to go with utilitarian use, and types of steel and handle materials. My wife chose a Buck Bantam 285 in PINK camo. She always keeps it in her purse and occasionally carries in the pocket when wearing jeans.

Is this the one that was on sale on the Buck Site for $9 recently?

I grabbed six of them to gift to girls I know.

I think it's a great combo of utility and pretty that most girls would love.

Not sure if it's the same one DerVerminator. But I just checked the web specials and they have a similar one in Lavender. My wife loves her 285. Fits her hand just right and light enough for carry. Buck should consider making more models in these colors for the ladies.

Great ideas.
I agree what men would pick may be different than women.
I appreciate the input. And with the holidays coming up, maybe other folks may find this helpful.
Thank-You.

I just asked my wife and daughter in law and Jen the daughter prefers a smaller switchblade and Kathy likes a smaller single blade that's easy to open. I too bought 5 of each of the web specials for Christmas..how can you beat a USA Buck for $10.00 or less! I gifted my granddaughter Brittany one of the 285's early for her birthday last week (hoping I get my 286 Red,White and Blue band Buck back lol) and at my house Bucks for Christmas is a long tradition. I think perhaps the best Buck for any girl would be a 501 or 506 with MOP. But if your girl is the outdoor type I would recommend a 102 or similar with a fancy handle (white bone?) or for any girl who cooks Bucks kitchen knives.

My wife has laid claim to a small Swiss Buck I bought years ago (SAK Classic size), a Schrade 108OT (miniature Stockman) and a Case Peanut - that is the size she likes. I can live with "gifting" any of those listed above to her, but I have hidden my Buck 305, 309, and 310 away with my other old Buck collection! OH

my wife carries a big swiss army knife. I've tried to get her to take a buck but just likes all the different tools on it. if I could find a swiss buck with enough tools she might switch.. ..

My wife stole my green handled 112 LW straight out of my hand when I received it from @Makael. She only carries that one in her purse though. She says it’s a little too chunky to put in her pocket.

While not Buck specific, my wife carries a Swiss Army Classic for the toothpick and tweezers, scissors are handy too. She often also carries a tiny spyderco locking knife with a clip (Spindrift I think it was called) and I just bought her a purple Buck 112 Slim that she takes on occasion. Her mother carries an Uncle Henry peanut or a muskrat pattern IIRC.

Basically it comes down to women's clothing has useless pockets, so small knives are the way to go. For instance, I asked my wife why she was carrying that 112 Slim clipped in her back pocket and warned her that it would eventually probably eat her car seat; she said it didn't fit well in the front pocket of her jeans.

While not Buck specific, my wife carries a Swiss Army Classic for the toothpick and tweezers, scissors are handy too. She often also carries a tiny spyderco locking knife with a clip (Spindrift I think it was called) and I just bought her a purple Buck 112 Slim that she takes on occasion. Her mother carries an Uncle Henry peanut or a muskrat pattern IIRC.

Basically it comes down to women's clothing has useless pockets, so small knives are the way to go. For instance, I asked my wife why she was carrying that 112 Slim clipped in her back pocket and warned her that it would eventually probably eat her car seat; she said it didn't fit well in the front pocket of her jeans.
Good points.
I think many women feel a knife is an accessory, and not a tool...…
but then others are the exact opposite...… I don't know. lol

Good point about pockets. I think most end up in a purse.

Small, light weight and pretty.
You guys are awesome!

Last edited:
No idea what the "average" lady today might carry - presuming she carries a knife at all.
I know my maternal grandmother carried a 3.5 inch blade Old Hickory paring knife (in a leather sheath) in her apron pocket. (she was a chef/cook at a couple restaurants)

I'm not sure what her mum carried.
Probably a paring knife and a Barlow.
I was 8 when she passed.

If memory serves, my maternal Great Great grandmother had a fairly fancy "ladies knife" with sterling silver covers, along with a large stockman (no idea what make. I'd guess either Schrade or Robeson for the stockman. Great Great Grandpa had a General Store, so she would have gotten them wholesale.) and a (loaded) nickle plated with faux ivory grips Iver Johonson .38 S&W breaktop revolver in her purse.
My Great Great Granny Potter was a cool lil ol lady. :)
I was 5 when she passed.

My ex didn't carry a knife.
As far as I know, her mum, grandmother, and great grandmother didn't regularly EDC a knife, either. I think her sister kept a Stanely box cutter in her purse to use at her job.
Paternal grandmother might have had a paring knife or a folding hawkblade in her apron pocket (she did some gardening) before her stroke. After that she didn't carry a knife the rest of her life.

So far as I know, neither of my sisters EDC a blade, and their kitchen knives are probably dull, unless their husbands take care of that "chore".

I'd let the ladies pick what they want and get them that.
At least that way there is a chance they will carry and use it.
"Worst Case" there is always a SAK 'Signature' or Classic for their keyring.
(The Signature has a retractable ink pen (blue ink) and no toothpick (although you can swap in a toothpick in place of the tweezers), otherwise is the same as the Classic)

Back