What makes a Good Auto Knife?

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by J Hubbard, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Makael

Makael Books temporarily closed on sheath orders. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Visual Blade Speed
    Feel of the kick in your hand when it locks open

gunspease likes this.
  2. plb

plb

Jun 22, 2013
    I value the audible feedback heard when a blade locks into place. It instills confidence that a knife is ready to use and has a strong and safe lockup. Some knives I've handled have a weak sounding lockup. Even though it may be perfectly safe, I'm left with some doubt.

Beyond that, for me, the speed and kick are just for show and don't effect the performance of the intend purpose of a knife...to cut. The importance of a Knife's action is often overrated, unless it is to be used as a fidget toy.

3. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I don't know the answer to your question, since I've never had an auto.
    I'm sure if I ever do need an automatic because my fingers don't work to open a slipjoint, or regular 110, I'll probably get the 110 Auto or start carrying a small 3.5 to 4 inch blade fixed blade.

4. TX180SX

TX180SX Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I would say the speed visually. Needs to be snappy and consistent.

Lesknife likes this.
  5. Daniel

Daniel Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1998
    Feels solid in the hand, opens with authority, and locks up solid.

The best auto knife that I have ever owned was a Microtech D/A Socom (Vero Beach). It was a tank and locked up very, very solid.

6. Pack Rat

Pack Rat Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Which of these parameters are most important to you when evaluating an Auto?

1. Sound of the blade locking in place?
    2. Feel of the kick in your hand when it locks open?
    3. Visual Blade Speed?

7. MT_Pokt

MT_Pokt

Jul 21, 2014
    A swimsuit model might look good, feel good, and have the voice of an angel; but if she can't properly fry an egg or balance a checkbook, I can't commit. If she can bait her own hook and dress her own deer, she gets a pass on the checkbook.

Tecate, pjsjr and Lesknife like this.
  8. gunspease

gunspease Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2002
    The sound and feel can be swapped for frost and second in my book then the visual speed but the most important is that it can be used left handed.