What makes a Good Auto Knife?

Visual Blade Speed
Feel of the kick in your hand when it locks open

I value the audible feedback heard when a blade locks into place. It instills confidence that a knife is ready to use and has a strong and safe lockup. Some knives I've handled have a weak sounding lockup. Even though it may be perfectly safe, I'm left with some doubt.

Beyond that, for me, the speed and kick are just for show and don't effect the performance of the intend purpose of a knife...to cut. The importance of a Knife's action is often overrated, unless it is to be used as a fidget toy.

I don't know the answer to your question, since I've never had an auto.
I'm sure if I ever do need an automatic because my fingers don't work to open a slipjoint, or regular 110, I'll probably get the 110 Auto or start carrying a small 3.5 to 4 inch blade fixed blade.

Feels solid in the hand, opens with authority, and locks up solid.

The best auto knife that I have ever owned was a Microtech D/A Socom (Vero Beach). It was a tank and locked up very, very solid.

Which of these parameters are most important to you when evaluating an Auto?

1. Sound of the blade locking in place?
2. Feel of the kick in your hand when it locks open?
3. Visual Blade Speed?

Which of these parameters are most important to you when evaluating an Auto?

1. Sound of the blade locking in place?
2. Feel of the kick in your hand when it locks open?
3. Visual Blade Speed?

A swimsuit model might look good, feel good, and have the voice of an angel; but if she can't properly fry an egg or balance a checkbook, I can't commit. If she can bait her own hook and dress her own deer, she gets a pass on the checkbook.

The sound and feel can be swapped for frost and second in my book then the visual speed but the most important is that it can be used left handed.

Back